News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Rolling Stock

Started by JGBlackman, February 26, 2015, 02:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGBlackman

I have just purchased a number of Hawthorne Village On30 Rolling stock with lighted interiors.  I am wiring my layout for DCC.  Do I need to convert these with some sort of decoder, or will they still light up?

Len

They will light up, but make sure they have 12V (or better) bulbs or they'll burn out quick.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

JGBlackman

Thanks for the reply.  I will give it a try when I am all wired up.

2foot6

Depending on the DCC system you buy and how many of your rolling stock cars will have lighting,it may be better to remove the bulb type lighting and install LED lighting.The disadvantage of  bulb lighting,is it  draws a reasonable amount of current which  can reduce the efficiency of the DCC .A lot of DCC systems have an output of 18 volts ,so 18 volt bulbs would be best  if you do not want to use LEDs.....cheers Peter.

Len

"A lot of DCC systems have an output of 18 volts...", What systems might those be, and how are you measuring this?

If "a lot" of systems put out 18 volts, the 'N' scale community would be screaming bloody murder, as anything much over 12V will fry most N-scale motors. 18 volts would for sure.

While a few may drift up to the 14V range, just about every system I've checked using a True RMS voltmeter is putting out 12V when used with the recommended power supply. Some of the power supplies my be rated 16V out, but what hits the track is 12V with very few exceptions.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Quote from: 2foot6 on February 27, 2015, 05:32:28 PM
. . . A lot of DCC systems have an output of 18 volts ,so 18 volt bulbs would be best  if you do not want to use LEDs. . .

Hi Peter,
Perhaps you have in mind the situation where a DCC dual mode decoder equipped locomotive is run using a DC power pack?