Auto reversing modules for double reverse loop layout--RUNNING DC

Started by MattfromKP, March 03, 2015, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Wow, you sure know your geography and accents.  Just tryin to use words I know y'all understand.
Congrats on the lower cost of living.
I like that, "BROCK" control :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

there is another, simpler, cheaper way. you can use a 3 amp or higher bridge rectifier in place of the autoreverser. gap the rails same as you would normally for a reversing section. wire the rectifier between the power pack and the rails of the reversing section, ac terminals connect to the power pack, dc to the rails. to operate, you enter the reversing section, flip the direction on your power pack, then throw throw track switch to let yourself out the other end. the only drawback is that the rectifier means the reversing section is one direction only. if you go around the loop clockwise you must always run around the loop clockwise, the rectifier precludes operation in the other direction.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

jward,

1. Sounds like a great place for a spring loaded turnout.

2. Don't know if the 2 diode voltage drop from the bridge makes much difference in speed between the loop and the main,

but if it does, you could match the drops by adding 4 diodes to the wires to the main.  

Main traveling left to right, loop on right:  

Your bridge (as I understand):

PowerPackT1 ---->----Bridge1~

PowerPackT2 ----->---Bridge1 other~

Bridge1+ ---------->---Loop outside rail

Bridge1 -  ----------->--Loop inside rail

My added voltage equalizing diodes (4 needed):

PowerPackT1 ---->----Diode1Cathode

PowerPackT1 ---->----Diode2Anode

PowerPackT2 ---->----Diode3Cathode

PowerPackT2----->----Diode4Anode

Diode1Anode----->----Main South Rail

Diode2Cathode--->----Main South Rail

Diode3Anode--->----Main North Rail

Doide4Cathode ---->----Main North Rail

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: Italics - change voltage equalizing design from diode bridge to 4 individual diodes
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

yes joe. you have the wiring right. I last used this on an n scale layout about 10 years ago, and I didn't notice an objectionable increase in speed coming out of the loop tracks.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

Don't forget, he has two reverse loops. One at each end of his main.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

yep, two bridge rectifiers. still probably under $10 for parts at radio shack.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

You could use the same bridge rectifier to feed both end loops. 

I am going to modify my design on the voltage drop for the main above,

eliminating the bridge and using 4 individual diodes not in a bridge configuration.

This will make the voltages match on each side of the insulators. (Main and Loops)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

the key to all of this is to make sure that whatever parts you use have a current rating above that of your power pack.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

wasunka

I'm late to this, but give a look to the Dynamite Canyon tram layout, from Aussie-land. It's a clever solution to the DC loop-to-loop arrangement.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lbdod_dXJU>

Len

The 'Dynamite Canyon' approach is good if your reverse loops aren't involved in any switching activity, or built into what started as a Fig-8 layout. In those situations, with a DC layout one of the few commercially available solutions uses Azatrax detectors and relays:

https://www.azatrax.com/reverse-loop-system-2.html

For the costs and wiring involved, it would probably be simpler to go with an entry level DCC system and DCC autoreverse module(s).

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.