News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 ton switcher

Started by jdrag, March 03, 2015, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdrag

Just found an old 44 ton switcher and opened it up to find an Okader 6707 circuit board.  Four wires come off the board.  One wire to each set of wheels.  Any way to make this engine DCC?  Thanks.

RAM

Does it have one or two motors?

electrical whiz kid

There  have been several brands of 44-tonners over the years-with Keystone being by far, the best running; however, it is a B..........  to get DCC into, much less a speaker.  I got an old NCE board into one, and that is it!  Carfloat duty!
Which one do you have?
RIch

jdrag

It has two motors.  Upon closer inspection it stamped Spectrum by Bachmann on the bottom. 

ACY

You will need a Z scale decoder most likely and may need to do some work to make room for it.

jdrag

I have a Digitrax system.  Any idea which decoder? 

ACY

Try a DZ123 or DZ126 and see if there is room for it.

jdrag

Thanks.  I'll take a look at those.

Len

I can't tell from the pictures whether it's the 1 motor or 2 motor version, but here's some pictures of a decoder install in a Bachmann 44 tonner: http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/GE_44_Ton/Bachman%20GE%2044%20Ton%20Diesel%20Switcher.htm

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len;
One thought nags me:  One motor could be removed and the linkage modified to accept both trucks.  Weight could be added to her, and the DCC decoder installed.  Motors can be changed and modified.  Oh, and did I mention that taking on a challenge  like that is a tremendous learning process.
SGT C.