News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Caboose for Pere Marquette Railroad

Started by Colin TT, March 05, 2015, 11:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin TT

Good Day Guys,

I have just joined your forum as I need some help concerning a caboose to go with my recently acquired Bachmann HO model of the Pere Marquette Berkshire 2-8-4, Road No 1218. A great model however to complete the freight train an appropriate caboose is required.

Where can I obtain one, or details of the prototype, or photos with colours which I can use to make my own model.  Any suggestions welcomed.  The club that I have joined is the Gauteng Free Mo Group in Johannesburg who run trains as per prototype in the 1940-1980 era, Ops sessions great fun.

Thanks, I eagerly await a string of replies !!

Colin TT

jonathan

Colin, I believe Atlas will be releasing a pere Marquette caboose in the near future.  I can't find anything else in plastic or brass.  Then, I didn't search very hard... 😊

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

The Atlas 1st Quarter 2015 run of "C&O Style also used by Pere Marquette" cabooses does not include Pere Marquette. It does include an 'Undec' that could be painted and decaled.

Actually, finding an undecorated model of the appropriate caboose from whatever manufacturer to go with your Bachmann loco is probably your best bet.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

Since the C&O owned the Pere Marquette, you could get away with using a C&O caboose, at least as an interim until a decorated one comes along or you paint and decal one yourself.

ACY

The Pere Marquette used Berkshires primarily for passenger service if I am not mistaken. Someone please correct me if I misspoke.

Len

Web pages on PM #1223 and #1225 all seemed to indicate they were used in fast freight service between Chicago, Saginaw, Detroit and Toledo. I did find a couple of undated pics with passenger cars behind them, but they may be from after they were restored and used for excursions runs.

Len

Colin TT

Thanks Jonathan, Len and ACY for you comments and advice.  I will try to source a caboose for the C & O which will probably do as more than likely the loco would have at some time worked with one.  If the club seniors object than I will re letter it.

I browsed Walters web site and they claim to have 454 different variations of HO scale cabooses, including C&O. Lets hope that Atlas does produce on in Pere Marquette colours

My research indicates that the loco was used mainly for freight and occasionally for passenger duties.  No 1225 has been restored at a University and is used for rail fan excursions obviously with passenger carriages. Some history is provided by Wikipedia via Google.

Thanks again,

Colin TT

Len

Collin,

While I was poking around I came across this reference guide of HO models for Pere Marquette locos and rolling stock:
http://www.pmhistsoc.org/library/PMModelsWeb.pdf

It has some suggestions for cabooses towards the end.

Len