News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Snowed in Again

Started by jonathan, March 05, 2015, 09:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Entertaining myself until it's time to shovel snow.

Just finished one of my winter projects:

Soon it should be warm enough to clean up the garage layout and get things running.

Some say I'm a little obsessed when it comes to B&O box cars.  Here's half of said cars, all built from kits.  The M-27f is scratch-bash:

30 Cars just didn't make a good photo.  ;D

Okay, now time to get out and shovel.

Regards,

Jonathan

Desertdweller

Some of my best model railroading has been done while snowed in!  Just keep enough supplies on hand.

Les

GN.2-6-8-0

Gotta love those wagon tops !!
Rocky Lives

Trainman203

Down here in Louisiana summer is the model railroad season with 95 degree days and 110 percent humidity. Yesterday we hit 78 but we are having the last cold snap of the season now, going to get all the way down  to high 40's tonight, WHOOOOHHH!!!!!!!

trainmainbrian

Quote from: Trainman203 on March 05, 2015, 06:00:54 PM
Down here in Louisiana summer is the model railroad season with 95 degree days and 110 percent humidity. Yesterday we hit 78 but we are having the last cold snap of the season now, going to get all the way down  to high 40's tonight, WHOOOOHHH!!!!!!!

**** that's nothing try anywhere from 20's - 9 degrees @ night January to Spring Time & anywhere between 25 - 43 Degrees in the day... In my Area of Eastern PA...
Summer Time 95 -102 degrees with 80-98% humidity is a daily thing in PA from Mid July to End of Sept... Needless to say the EXTREAM Thunderstorms & HI-Winds that RIP through our area on any given day when temps & Humidity is this bad... I have seen Huge Maple Trees felled like if someone pushed them over...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

trainmainbrian

Oh by the way nice looking Boxcar's nice work.... Are you going to weather them... I think that would really bring out the realness of your car's...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Trainman203

I lived in NY two winters and MA for one before I came back home to Louisiana for good.  Winters  are mostly beautiful in LA, it's when we get a lot of the outdoor stuff like house painting done.  It gets down to high 20s some times but winter is mostly mid 50s and sun.  It last snowed about 10 years ago .  Come on down and thaw out.

electrical whiz kid

jonathan

TMB,

We have a guy, in our club, who is a wizard with weathering and an airbrush.  I may hire him one of these days.  While I can weather with some dry brushing, it's not my first choice:

Trainman203

Try powders, they are wonderful.  A lot of weathering is powder (dust) anyway.

rogertra

To weather I use, alone and or in combination: -

Oil washes, acrylic washes, chalks, eye shadow and non-glitter make up.

Applied with: -

Brushes including dry brushing, make up sponges, cotton buds, finger tips and make up brushes.

I do not own an airbrush.

Cheers

Roger T.

Trainman203

Powders are great for people like me who are "chicken" about weathering. I still have a couple of cars that I weathered with paint in the early 60's.   I keep them around for laughs and as a reminder.

electrical whiz kid

There are a great many methods, approaches, and materials-as well as reasons-to weather.  I, unlike you, find no particular problem with using paint as a weathering medium.  I trust you have heard the term "dry-brushing" in your well-wisdomed travels... 
Dry-brushing is a method in which a paint brush is loaded with paint, brushed out upon a paper bag, other paper, until most of the paint is out of the brush; then one applies semi-dry paints to said surface.
As far as other methods and mediums go, I have pretty much used them all with some really great results during my tenure in both this hobby, as well as other art forms.
SGT C.

WoundedBear

I like the dry brush method. It is very controllable. Micro Mark sells a specially shaped set of brushes specifically designed for dry brushing. Here's a shot of a loco I weathered with only dry brushing....no powders or air brush.

http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/17/83/87/93/lsd66f10.jpg

Sid

Jhanecker2

Wounded Bear : Nice work on the Loco .     I am a fan of Micro-Mark and have used a number of the products in their catalogs . John 2.