News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender for a 4-8-4 Niagara

Started by gem629, March 05, 2015, 04:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem629

I have a 4-8-4 Niagara  steam engine that I would like to replace the stock decoder with a sound decoder but I am having a hard time figuring how to disassemble the tender to get to the board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Gem

Len

I don't have one, but looking at the exploded diagram at http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H503X-IS001.PDF it looks like you remove a screw near on the loco end of the tender. That lets the end come off, and either the board with the decoder socket slides out, or it gives access to whatever else needs to be do to remove the tender shell.

Elsewhere I saw a note saying the ring below the PC board is for a 28mm speaker, but I can't say for sure, since I don't own one.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

gem629

Thank you len for the response, since I don't have a exploded view I will look for that screw. GEM

electrical whiz kid

Len;
Do you mean the screw than holds the drawbar to the tender?  If that is so, this should be an easy process.  One thing I like about Bachmann locomotives IS that they are easy to get apart, once you figure out how [they] designed it; if you have no drawings with which to reference.
SGT C.

Len

Sarge, you might have to remove that one too. But the exploded view at the link in my earlier post shows a screw at the top of the tender end that faces the loco. In the diagram it looks like you remove that screw to remove the tender end and access the PCB.

gem, all you should have to do is click the link in my original post to access the exploded diagram.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

electrical whiz kid

Len;
You may be correct.  It is hard to say, given that these things are pretty ingeniously put together-sort of like a Chinese Floor Puzzle.  
I am still trying to figure how to get around installing a brass pony truck on that SY Mike.  It keeps on shorting out, and it is  a beautifully done truck.  I may not be able to, but will keep looking for a way.
SGT C.

gem629

Thank you guys, I was able to get both ends off of the tender but the board still will not slide out, only other screws I see are the little ones that hold the truck contacts to the bottom of the tender. Also when the front of the tender came off one of the wires from the engine connector came off, are these wires pressure fitted in the connector or are they soldered, seam awful small to solder.  Thank You GEM.