Tool for loading cars on track

Started by DougInCal, March 06, 2015, 01:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougInCal

When I unpacked my HO trains I realized that I had forgotten about a plastic tool to load cars onto the track.  Really handy, but it doesn't work with locos.  Has anyone seen this for N scale?

Len

Kato makes a ramp like that for N scale.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

James in FL

Rix, Micro-Trains, Kato all make one similar to this one for N, maybe a few others as well.
They work well on 40 – 50 footers, but longer stock and passenger cars tend to catch the trip pins on the ties at the base of the ramp.
You can use them for locos also, simply place the lokie on the ramp, and while holding the lokie with one hand, slide the ramp from under it.
This works for your longer rolling stock as well.

As you may be aware, don't push/slide traction tired lokies along the railhead.

Re-railers are cheap at most train shows, I have several I've picked-up for a dollar each.

Good luck

GN.2-6-8-0

Shame they never thought to make one long enough for placing articulateds on the track, ;D
Rocky Lives

InsideTrack

Bachmann has announced an E-Z Railer® tool in both HO and N scale to let you simply slide your trains onto the track. We do not have delivery dates yet.

Item No. 44492 HO scale E-Z Railer® http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_366_368&products_id=6003

Item No. 44892 N scale E-Z Railer® http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=265_421&products_id=6020

Joe323

I have the Rix re-railer it works well on short rolling stock under say 7 inches

DougInCal

Quote from: Joe323 on March 06, 2015, 01:26:40 PM
I have the Rix re-railer it works well on short rolling stock under say 7 inches

I found this, which looks like what I have for HO.  I'll have to check the couple of stores around here.

Quote from: InsideTrack on March 06, 2015, 11:14:45 AM
Item No. 44892 N scale E-Z Railer[

I can't tell from the image if it has the guides, but assume that it does.

Quote from: James in FL on March 06, 2015, 10:45:20 AM
1) You can use them for locos also, simply place the lokie on the ramp, and while holding the lokie with one hand, slide the ramp from under it.

2) As you may be aware, don't push/slide traction tired lokies along the railhead.

3) Re-railers are cheap at most train shows, I have several I've picked-up for a dollar each.

1) Thanks for the tip on loading the loco.  I may have done that 8 or 9 years ago.

2) A shop owner mentioned not pushing the loco on the track, which was the first time I heard that.  I am guilty of doing this.  What does it do to the loco?

3) I passed on a recent R/R show here locally!  :(

Thanks for all the info, I was sort-of grasping at straws!

rogertra

Speaking of re-railers one of the things I plan on doing, once I get the permanent staging yards under construction, is to put a set track re-railer at the entrance and exit of each individual staging yard track and one at the beginning of each ladder track of the two planned reverse loop staging yards.   Hopefully, this will correct any derailments entering and exiting staging as the two reverse loop staging yards will be in another room that is not quickly accessible from the railway room.  Staging will be monitored by an inexpensive CCTV system.

Cheers

Roger T.

James in FL

Quote2) A shop owner mentioned not pushing the loco on the track, which was the first time I heard that.  I am guilty of doing this.  What does it do to the loco?

It does not harm the loco, but it can cause the rubber tire to stretch and dislodge it from the grove in the driver.
If stretched excessively and it stays in the grove, the tension of the rubber will not be equal around the perimeter.
Rubber is stretched (thin) in one place and relaxed (thick) in another, this can cause bobbing and/or waddling as the lokie runs down the track.
Repeated stretching will eventually cause the tire to be thrown, as it won't seat tight any longer.
This is what generally happens when loading a lokie down with too many cars, the driver will spin inside the rubber tire(s) and the tire(s) will be thrown.
When you attempt to push it along the railhead, the opposite happens, with the driver stationary and the tire trying to roll.
End result is the same.
Not good.

CNE Runner

I, also, have used the RIX rerailer for years...a godsend for those of us with mini-layouts (lots of car swapping). It helps to have a couple of these devices hanging at vairous points on the fascia (with a 12' layout, you don't need more than two).

Someone mentioned the rerailing of locomotives? I have found the Peco Loco-Lift to be an excellent choice for this purpose. [As a bonus, the Loco-Lift can be used as a cassette, by itself, or by permanently attaching more than one Loco-Lift together for longer applications. Some years ago I cut a Loco-Lift in half to turn my BWL Trackmobile easily.]

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Ken G Price

I have 4 of the Rix railers at different parts of the layout near the yards. Great item.
As I have only small 4 axle up to large 6 axle diesel engines the railer works well for them also. :D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/