Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Breaking in a new Bachmann DCC w/Sound

Started by kdgrant6, March 01, 2015, 08:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

Wow!

This discussion really took off.

Enjoyed the Len and Jim show.  Fun to read.

Thanks, Jerry, for your help.  Bachmann's tech/repair department told me about the programming track idea.  This advice was backed up by a couple of people on the Message Board.  But what you said makes sense and conforms to my limited experience changing the address to one DCC loco.  The key is clearing the track of other locos.

Since I have the extra terminal and track on an adjoining table, I probably will just use it tomorrow to program the new one.

No, I don't have Dynamis, only the EZ Command.

kdgrant6

By the way, I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances, but what is your idea of the best height for bench work?

It's not on this topic, but at this point since it was brought up a couple of posts ago, i thought I'd ask--since there are no dumb questions, only those with faltering perspicacity.

jbrock27

I am going to have to look that word up...

Depends on your height. He and I have ours at about 3 ft or 36 inches as they say in Louisiana...
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

benchwork height is a matter of personal taste . every height has its advantages and disadvantages. building high will allow you to work on the underside of the table (where all my wiring is run) and get your trains closer to eye level. they also make it harder to reach into the layout to rerail something, and make it a pain if you like to sit while running trains (I do,) lower height makes it easier to work on things on top, but a pain (literally) to get underneath. they also make it easier to run trains from a roll around chair.

my current height is 48" out of necessity, we live in a tiny apartment, and the dog lives under the layout along with a coule of bookshelves. table height was determined by the need to fit a cage under the layout. if I had it to do over, I would opt for36"....

as for the 3 in 1 oil, don't.... go to the hobby shop and get some oil designed to use on model trains, r cars of the like. using other types of oil may damage the gears as not all plastics are compatable with certain oils. the last thing you want is a locomotive with melted gears because you used the wrong lubricant.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

My personal preference for layout height is 42". High enough to get under without being a contortionist, low enough to be eye level sitting in a roll around chair.

In a pinch, modern sewing machine oil is plastic safe. Use a toothpick end to apply. Do not use oil on rolling stock truck journals, it attracts dirt that will just cause problems. A bit of fine powdered graphite in the journals is okay though.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

48" which is high enough to work under, not so low as all you get is an eagle's eye view but high enough to bend over for a nice eye level view and yet low enough to comfortably reach in a couple of feet for manual uncoupling and the occasional re-railing, not that I ever have derailments of course.  ;)

If I go ahead with a second level then that would be at around 66".  Perfect for eye level.

Cheers

Roger T.

trainmainbrian

Quote from: kdgrant6 on March 01, 2015, 09:32:00 PM
By the way, I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances, but what is your idea of the best height for bench work?

It's not on this topic, but at this point since it was brought up a couple of posts ago, i thought I'd ask--since there are no dumb questions, only those with faltering perspicacity.

KD... Best height for your bench work.... Take Regular 2x4's 8 footers 96" Long & cut in half @ 48" it will make 48' Leg's... This Height is PERFECT for me... Only draw-back I experienced is I have to keep 2 folding step stool's handy for viewing & operating sessions with my friends... I am 5'11 so I don't really have any problems reaching across layout... but for a smaller person viewing they need the step stool... One of my friends that comes over for operating sessions "Saturday Mornings 9-11am" he needs one of the Stool's... He's only like 5'9 or so & he is my Yard Man on operating session's... He made a good suggestion to me the other Saturday... & that I should build a BENCH STOOL in one section about the size of a regular stair step the length of the layout & screw it fast to the existing layout legs... Because the simple fact is folding step stools can be unstable at times if not completely opened & locked to the user can cause a fall... I told him good point & put his Motion into a Second & Motion Carried... But I am going to wait on the Bench Step Build until I can make cut's with my miter saw outside & right now there is 38" inches of snow on the Ground in my area of PA right now...
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

Quote from: trainmainbrian on March 06, 2015, 08:44:35 AM
KD... Best height for your bench work.... Take Regular 2x4's 8 footers 96" Long & cut in half @ 48" it will make 48' Leg's... This Height is PERFECT for me...

I'm confused.  Best height for him or best height for you ???

I agree as has been mentioned, it is important to consider ability to work underneath as well as the position you like to be in when playing with the trains.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Why use 2 x 4 for benchwork?  That's way over engineered.  2 x 2 legs, with bracing is quite strong enough.  Benchwork built with 2 x 2s and 1 x 3 (or 1  4) is more than strong enough for benchwork.  After all, you're not holding dance parties on your benchwork, or are you?  2 x 2 with 1 x 3 'L' girders is really strong enough.  Actually, I use second grade 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for framing for large flat yard areas as it lays much flatter than any other plywood.

Has for height.  I'd suggest avoiding "tabletop" height benchwork as it's way too low unless you have a disability that requires the use of a wheelchair.  Building scenery on a regular tabletop height will be hard on your back.  If you really want to build good benchwork, buy some Kalmbach instructional books on how to built benchwork and you'll find that few, if any, recommend tabletop height.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

I am 6'2.5" and built this layout for ME.  It is 48" high-at it's lowest point, and will be 72+" at it's highest.  This comes in handy especially with a duck-under-which I dread, but will have to go with unless I redesign the other part.  Other part will have the carfloat, piers, etc, so guess what...  (Damn, I hated Boston...)
SGT C.

jward

I would have gone a little lower is my track was going to climb that much. 2 feet I a lot of elevation gain, and though I am sure the effect will be spectacular i'd be worried about trying to work on or operate anything 6 feet off the floor. in that situation I would have opted to a lowest elevation of 36: or less. about the only railroad I am aware of with that much elevation gain was john allen's gore & daphetid and the results were incredible. I have heard the operating challenges of the sustained grades were interesting to deal with as well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 06, 2015, 05:44:14 PM
I am 6'2.5" and built this layout for ME.  It is 48" high-at it's lowest point, and will be 72+" at it's highest.  This comes in handy especially with a duck-under-which I dread, but will have to go with unless I redesign the other part.  Other part will have the carfloat, piers, etc, so guess what...  (Damn, I hated Boston...)
SGT C.

Man after my own heart.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.