News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Heavy Mountain Kitbash in progress

Started by rogertra, March 06, 2015, 10:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Just sorting out boxes and came across this in progress kitbash that I started going on five years ago now.

Guess I'll finish it one day.

Cheers

Roger T.

jonathan

Man, skirting and a Canadian cab really changes the look.  Very nice.  Did you cut down a Bmann vandy tender or use something different?

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Looks good, Roger; I am generally impressed with your work anyways.  What more do you plan to do with it?  What caught my eye at first was the (of course) Canadian cab. 
RIch
SGT C.

austrian

What an impressive transformation! Please keep the pictures coming!

Thomas

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on March 07, 2015, 06:35:59 AM
Man, skirting and a Canadian cab really changes the look.  Very nice.  Did you cut down a Bmann vandy tender or use something different?

Regards,

Jonathan

It's a Spectrum oil Hicken tender with one ring removed from the water tank, the front end converted to match the All Weather Cab and converted to coal.  I shortened the tender as Canadian tenders tended to be shorter than U.S. tenders.  This loco, like all my locos fits on a Walther's 90 foot turntable just like most Canadian steam could, hence the shorter tenders.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 07, 2015, 08:51:16 AM
Looks good, Roger; I am generally impressed with your work anyways.  What more do you plan to do with it?  What caught my eye at first was the (of course) Canadian cab. 
RIch
SGT C.

Rich.

Only plan at the moment, other than installing a sound decoder, is to possibly add a feedwater heater recessed into the top of the smokebox and, of course, to make a start on the other heavy Mountain I have in stock.

I think the skirting, along with the All Weather Cab gives the loco a distinctive Canadian look so I'm considering adding skirting to all my locos with the All Weather Cab plus adding the can to some of the Spectrum 2-8-0s but not all as I like the idea of different subclasses and adding the cab to the Athearn 4-8-2 and 2-8-2s.  But we shal see as my eyesignt is not what it was ten years ago.

Cheers

Roger T.

AGSB

Are your cabs scratch built or are they kits? If kits, where do you get them? All I can find have the sloped fronts vs the vertical as in yours.

rogertra

Quote from: AGSB on March 07, 2015, 02:26:32 PM
Are your cabs scratch built or are they kits? If kits, where do you get them? All I can find have the sloped fronts vs the vertical as in yours.

That was over ten years ago and I'm afraid I've forgotten what brand they were.

I've used both brass kits and plastic cabs.  The plastic ones were CNR and CPR styles and I used those on ny three 2-10-2s so as to create two subclasses.

I'll have a look later and see if I can find anything, I hopefully have a couple tucked away somewhere still in their packaging.

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Here are two more locos that have been kitbashed to add All Weather Cabs and kitbashed Hicken Tenders.

They represent GER class S1, No. 782 and class S1a No. 789.  Notice they have different style cabs detail placement.  Sandboxes and bells for example in different locations plus other detail differences?

I have three in total and I've been considering adding running board skirts but, on the other hand, I do like all the plumbing visible above the drivers.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
About five years ago, I purchased two Bachmann 2-10-2s, and decided to work from what was roughly a New Haven "Santa Fe" type. 
I have always loved the looks of these steeds.  I had purchased a couple of Hicken tenders from Bachmann, and along with the coal conversion as did you, I had installed Buckeye trucks.  I had purchased a pair from Greenway.  Also what I had done was to change the front end for Elesco feed-water heaters, which of course, meant chopping into the fireman side to install these sets of appliances, as well as new plumbing.  Tsunami decoders completed the task.  I haven't as yet, set up to do photos for this site.  I do have photos I can send if you desire; to your E-mail address.
Oh, and I call these two the "Ugly Sisters"; ref; the name the Brits gave the Sharnhorst and Gneissenau...
AGSB:
A lot of parts are available via several sources; Greenway, Cal-scale NWSL, to name a few.  Sometimes even a trip to "Evil Bay" pays off.  Modifying these gracious ladies of steam is a wonderful endeavor with oftimes the same as results.  Have a good evening.
Rich
SGT C.

J3a-614

Ah, grand to see some steam projects again (been a little while, the last one I saw was one of Jonathan's). :)

Anyway, in term of appearance, I think Roger's modified engines with the Vanderbilt tanks come across looking like something from Canadian National or one of its predecessors.  Skirts?  I associate those more with Canadian Pacific, which put'em on a lot of different locomotives--4-6-2s, the two 4-8-4s they had, 2-8-2s, 4-6-4s. streamlined 2-10-4s.  On CN, I think they were only on the streamlined 4-8-4s and the Bullet Nosed Betty 4-8-2s (the latter looked like nothing else in North America).

So-o-o-o-o----I would leave the skirts off the 2-10-2s, no need to cover up the plumbing anyway!  :D  Would've kept'em off the 4-8-2, but, it's started, (and it's not one of mine anyway)--maybe a class assigned to some special train, maybe an economy streamstyling treatment, like what New York, Ontario & Western did with one of their 4-8-2s--

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/O%26W_Engine_405.jpg

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/9595974435774260/filePointer/9736788332373799/fodoid/9736788332373795/imageType/MEDIUM/inlineImage/true/mntnr.jpg

http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/9595974435774260/filePointer/18042720743832694/fodoid/18042720743832690/imageType/LARGE/inlineImage/true/O%26W%20lo%20crop%20copy.jpg

Conventional sister:

http://www.llarson.com/steam/schenzinger/images/NA106.jpg

Of course, good looking work (and a good looking railroad for them to run on).

Pacific Northern

I tried several times to send a reply with an attached photo of an HO CPR steam cab but the Bachmann site gives me an error each time I attempt to send the photo.

I use the items made by Minatures by Erich to modify my HO steam locomotives. He carries a lot of detail parts, for both CPR and CNR, eras covered area steam to diesel.

http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/

Pacific Northern

electrical whiz kid

Other sources for steam:
Bowser, NWSL, Cal-Scale, Precision Scale, Greenway, et al.
I looked at "miniatures by Eric".  Not particularly impressed.
SGT C .