UNION PACIFIC passenger car #328

Started by Madjack, March 09, 2015, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madjack

sorry guys this site won't let me send my pics,  i don't know what to do!!! i just recently retired,after being out of this hobby for about 32 yrs ,i started collecting Ho train stuff about 35 yrs ago now i have time to unpack every thing, and have started a very large layout with trains & Ho slot cars together. i have 7 separate rails & two slot car circuits! all on one layout called Whiskey Hollow

Len

Madjack,

You can't post pictures directly to this forum. You have to upload them to PhotoBucket, or other picture hosting site, then link their location here using [i m g] [/ i m g] tags, only without the spaces.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Madjack

OK, i'm not computer savy i'll have to get one of my sons to try it! thanks for info.!but if you go to my Facebook page you can see them all in the Whiskey Hollow album, the last 40 pics are of these cars! oh and i tried to push the pins in further but it didn't do it! they still lean! i am working on the second slot car track now! the long road course.

Madjack

HI, len the trucks that you sent link for look exactly like the trucks on these cars except the peg hole is back from center in sted of towards front!

Len

Yeah, the picture is the truck for full length 85' cars, you probably have the 'shorty' 72' cars whee the pivot is moved back so they can make it around 18" radius curves. Both have the same types of problems I mentioned.

Len

Hunt

Example: Placing img tags around link to image
[img]http://i.imgur.com/FdCCKgg.jpg[/img]

Displays the image

Len

Okay! The pictures are a big help. From them I can tell a lot of things:

The roof line is wrong for it to be a Con-Cor 'smooth side' car. And from your other pics of the bottom, I can see there are no 'Rivarossi' markings on the bottom a Rivarossi or AHM/Rivarossi car would have. So, considering the type of trucks and couplers, this has to be an IHC Heavyweight Diner.

Which means there's a major problem, since the IHC heavyweight trucks were 6-wheel, and for the UP black, with a coupler head that just cleared the end of the car. IHC only used the 4-wheel trucks on streamline cars with smooth roofs, not the heavyweights. And the heavyweight cars sit lower on the 6-wheel trucks than yours is on the 4-wheel trucks you've got. Which would explain the top heaviness that has them 'falling off the track' just sitting there.

I suspect someone had a box of cars and trucks that had been seperated from each other, and just stuck whatever was at hand on when he decided to get rid of them. If you can find some 6-wheel IHC/AHM/Rivarossi passenger trucks somewhere, putting them on will probably fix the 'falling off the track' problem cheaper than a complete truck upgrade.

Len

Jerrys HO

Len thanks for the reply but I do not have any intentions of fixing them up. The Bachman Spectrum one's are the one's I prefer now. One day the other's will find a new home.

Madjack

Thank you Len, that is a big help,so you think they are IHC/AHM .and they just have the wrong trucks & couplers. do you have any idea where i can find the correct trucks? will any other brand fit? or should i just give them up! remember all my stuff has been in storage for many,many years. i would really like to fix them up! I think they will add some focus to my layout! I have a pair of Life-like U.P. FP40 engines to pull them.one powered & one dummy. well i think they are FP 40's  thank you again LEN for your expertise on this matter! 

Len

There's actually someone on the 'bay selling the 6-wheel metal replacement trucks for a decent price right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321674201881?lpid=82&chn=ps

The 6-wheel trucks from IHC, AHM, or Rivarossi are pretty much interchangable, and will work on these cars if you can find them.

Or you could get complete cars with the right trucks here:
http://www.ustrainco.com/Passenger-Cars-Heavyweight.htm

Len

Madjack

Thank you again LEN i will check them out!   Have a Good day!

Len

Sid,

Yup! That's the plastic version of the correct truck for those cars.

For a second there, I though IHC was back. But apparently IHC Hobby Texas bought out the existing stock, and web page layout, when IHC went under and is selling it off.

Now if only Mehano could find an importer for there American style locos.

Len

Madjack

Thank you wounded bear, for the link. WOW those are pretty expensive, guess i won't be using those cars! on my budget i won't be able to afford 12 of them!for a really long time! guess i'll either pack'em back up or get rid of'em Thanks guys for all your help!! any body interested in them?  Thanks again guys!  Have A Good Day!!