News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cannot Change the Loco address

Started by djp, September 17, 2009, 08:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

The problem may not be your Prodigy system, it could be the decoder. Did you try programming the address directly using CV29 and CV1? This is from the instructions of Prodigy Express I had before my current NCE system:

QuoteFor some decoders, you have to skip the Addr programming and use
the CV program mode to program CV29 with a value of 2 and CV1 with a
short address (1-127). Detailed steps are as follows:
1. Press Prog to select Prog Prog Track
2. Press Enter six times until CV# displays on the screen
3. To select CV29, press 29 and Enter
4. CV data displays. Press 2 and Enter
5. CV# displays again. Select CV1 by pressing 1 then press Enter
6. CV data displays. Press the loco address (1-127) and then Enter

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

To check the system version press the "SYS" button twice, version will show in the display.

Prodigy Express, unlike some popular DCC systems, does not recognize leading zeros in an address.  So to Prodigy Express an address of 0001 is the same as 1. Nevertheless it is best not to use leading zeros. Prodigy Express treats any address 1 through 127 as a two digit address and any address from 128 to 9,999 is treated as a four digit address.

I do not have convenient access to an old Prodigy Express system but do have in mind somethings you could try before resorting to the hard way of programming by CVs. However, use what Len provided from the MRC Prodigy Express manual.

Hunt

An aside - FYI -
To use Bachmann E-Z Command Decoder-Equipped DCC Turnout with the Prodigy Express requires replacing the original handheld with a Prodigy Advance or Advance Squared handheld.

djp

Len, been there done that. I had read it too from the manual but no luck. I'm scared to try it with my other engines lest i get them stuck in some other address especially 3. I can change the accl, tv, dccl, and sv of the decoder on the main track but not the address.
Hunt, i don't have the SYS button on my controller. i think it comes only on the Advance and advance squared. and thankfully i dont have any dcc turnouts.LOL.

A general question to both of you, Should there no be a momentary voltage to the program track when link light flashes and the handheld flashes SEND? I have attached my meter to the prog track and at no time do i get any voltage reading.

Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Hunt

There should be momentary voltage to the program track when link light flashes.  In place of the meter, connect a 12 -14V light bulb across the programming track. Does it flash when programming info sent?

Hunt

djp.
The following assumes you know how to program and select an address to run as not all details required are given.

If you can run the locomotive using address 3 then bring locomotive to a complete stop.
Select Prog Main Track
Program address 3 to an address of 1000
Program nothing but the address
Select locomotive 1000

If you can run the locomotive using address 1000 then reprogram address 1000 to the two digit address you want.

Once reprogrammed, select the new two digit address and you should be able to run the locomotive using it.

Advise what address you are now able to run the locomotive with.

djp

Hunt,
You da man. Thanks a million. I managed to get it to address 1000. But the moment i try to re address it to 1[that's the loco # i want] it goes back to #3. But that's ok. No big deal. I'll stick to #1000. At least my #3 is freed up.
Can you tell me the secret of this "rabbit you pulled out of the hat" trick?
Thanks again.
Get Off My Train !!!

Hunt

djp,

I do not know why you cannot program from address 1000 to 1. Suspect it is compatibility issue between you old DCC system and the decoder. Try programming address 1000 to 10.

Suggest you begin a search to find a replacement DCC system.

Background
Address interchangeable terms
  Short address is also known as primary address or 2-digit address
  Long address is also known as extended address or 4-digit address

SoundTraxx Decoder Addressing Restriction --
When using Programming on the Main Tack mode a SoundTraxx decoder (Tsunami or Sound Value) will not allow you to change the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a short address to another short address or from a long address to another long address.

Workaround is to program short address to a long address. Then program from the long address to a short address.

Len

Found an old 'Tips and Tricks' document on the Prodigy Advance and Express on the MRC site. There may be something in it that might help figure out what's going on. It can be found at:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/PRODIGY%20ADVANCE%20%20TIPS%20AND%20TRICKS%20REVISED%2005-03-07.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.