Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Motor swap

Started by roundhouse foreman, March 17, 2015, 04:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roundhouse foreman

So...
My two DCC HO Niagara's, hmmmm..
Used one needs 4 new drive bars or worst case scenario an undercarriage assby', not avail, only motor and carriage @ $70.+ first child.
New one has slooooooo-ooo--oow motor, swap? not the decoders, swapped tenders same same.
Look up part# for a new motor, found # 8811B and two? are shown, one sold out, the one I supposedly need? Says for northern. Tells me that this train has more of a problem than other motors and drives as they are all gone and sooooo many other parts for so many others are still available.
What's the diff? one is $20, one is $15 Is it just the gear? Can it be pressed off and the other replaced?
Don't want to have to say "Yeah I have two dcc bachmanns but they need parts and repair. Isn't one new? Yeah , guess if it runs it is considered working. "Just slow all the other trains down to its speed". This ain't the US School System, it is a dc motor, no reason to dumb down 20 trains for one questionable brand new motor."
Is my only option to buy the "motor and chassis" (hope it's motor is of good quality) and then scavenge that for the actual parts I really need to repair the two I have? Because if I send them in, it's shipping, service fee, parts costs and shipping back, if they can or will repair either unit. They will replace the new one with something else as new DCC 4-8-4 Niagara's are unavailable from Bachmann now. I only run New York Central HO on my layout so that is not an option for me.

RHF

trainmainbrian

My first thoughts are for your SLOW movement of the Loco's is assuming you are running DCC since you have DCC Loco's... Is 1 you might be running in DC mode & causing your Slow movement & why the Engines are Growling... or 2 You might have a Low Voltage issue how many Engines are you running @ 1 time on your Layout... & what type of DCC system are you running I am going to assume Bachmann's EZ-DCC system...& I would suggest sending in your engines to Bachmann for repair & service
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

roundhouse foreman

System is a Dynamis
NEW engine runs SLOW on DC or DCC powered track and cannot be selected for DC only without changing plug in tender
SLOW with or without any other units being addressed or on track in standby.
Seven parallel loops all same voltage 14vac measured at track.
Will run 11 locos, 2 x 3 consists, 5 single all pulling + 6 to 14  cars , inc. 1 spectrum lighted pass set (6) all at full speed
so power supply not an issue.
Engine growling??? there's no engine growling that I mentioned, wrong post.

Still need to know about the #8811B  motors, same; size, shape, attachment method, can or cannot, why not?

RHF

Trainman203

Every Bachmann DCC only steam engine I ever had, had a very slow response.  Tsunami sound Decoders solved the problem.

BaltoOhioRRfan

New engine May need breaking in. Could also be something binding up just a small bit. I've got simular issues with another manufacture on two different models, one runs about double the other(and i really want to run em together) I may try resoldering the motor leads and the leads onto the PCB bored and see if that works...you could try that too if you have soldeing experiance.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jbrock27

Ahh, one of my favorite terms "locomotive break in" ::)  Not a fan, as aside from brushes*, which nowadays are much better than olden days, I can not see what needs "broken" in when in comes to slippery moving delrin plastic parts.  The grease to move around the gears?  There is probably enough grease and lube in a new loco these days, for 2 locos...

*Not a DCC maven, but somehow don't think brushes are the issue here.  Gotta say, do love the New York Central ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

roundhouse foreman

Agree on the "break-in theory" as it has been over eight hours of just messin' with cv's.
Its not like trying to get the pencil lead to work in the old "Flyer".
Has to be a bad core (cheap steel) or a bad winding for there to be no power and no speed or rpm's.

roundhouse foreman

Bit the bullet and popped the top.
As suggested the wiring at the plug terminal where the black plastic covers go were loose and the + power wire slid in and out of its' hole on the pcb, which was loosely screwed in and the plugs moved when the engine was on a curve causing intermittent operation. Wire ends not even long enough to satisfactorily bend in place when cover is pushed on to stay put, a blob of solder prevented the cover from going completely on the + terminal and gradually pushed the cap off. QC must have been asleep when this one passed them by. Just push it back on, next.
DC voltage applied directly to motor terminals on pcb and got same rpms as on track. Motor seems strong and has torque but no top end. No binding or obstructions, all drives work smoothly. Engine and tender roll freely on the track with motor out of the gear drive.
Scaled the speed out to max using 126 step speed control and it comes to 45 mph, unworthy of a Niagara.

RHF