New Reverse Board Mystery Socket Functions

Started by Toms Model Trains, March 18, 2015, 05:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmwalker

Len
I just measured those two pins and there is nothing there DC but did see 3.44 volts AC. Now to be fair this board has no neutral so I have a new one coming to replace it. This is the first issue I have with any of Williams engines. I have around 20 now.
Wyatt
Thanks
Wyatt

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Just a guess, but the 5W 100-Ohm resistor may be 

a stand-in for a smoke unit.

By "stand-in" I mean the resistor would not have been installed if a smoke unit were on-board.

Since the wires leading to the resistor are red and black (= track power in the wiring scheme),

WBB R&D (more than likely "3-rail") found that adding a resistive load to the track (i.e., a smoke unit) may have settled down

the output of certain brands and models of noisy transformers, which made either the reverse unit or sound board run better.   

FYI, the smoke units of the large scale Big Haulers are around 110 Ohms.   

Hope this doesn't confuse.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

3rail

Dear All,

I wanted to verify the functions before I posted.  The extra sockets are just for ease of installation for certain diesels.  They simply supply AC and DC power to other boards in the loco.  They do not have any special functions except for the lockout switch socket.  For normal installations you just use sockets labeled A and B.  Sockets A would be used for each power truck. Socket B is used to power the sound system. If you are controlling a second unit's motors with a tether, you would use Socket C (DC output).   Train+ is AC Hot, Train- is AC Ground, Motor+ is DC+, Motor- is DC-.

Regards,
3rail

wmwalker

3 Rail
Thanks very much for the drawing and clarification on the plugs.  :)
Thanks
Wyatt

vencelylalas

Please trace the wiring and give us a report.