News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K 27 RGS # 455 version

Started by MAELLIS, October 31, 2007, 03:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAELLIS

A question for Mr Bachmann !
Like many others I have been waiting for this model for many years. :)
I've ordered two already, for delivery from a retailer in the UK, a 463 with the "Flying  D&RGW" and the RGS 455 version with the "sunset herald".

After studying the photos available in the gallery it looks like the RGS 455 version with the "sunset herald" with be the post 1947 rebuilt version with the odd looking cab. Whilst not being a "rivet counter" I do prefer the 1942 look of this engine and modelling this period, before the wreck, fits in with the rest of my "master plan". So , my question to Mr Bachmann is:
will it be possible to buy an alternative (normal) cab after the K27's are released ?.

Best regards from a RGS G scaler on the wet & windy western coast of Norway !

the Bach-man

Dear Maellis,
We don't, as a rule, stock extra cabs, but at some point the service department may end up with a damaged loco. We do, however, plan to bring out all versions eventually.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rrjTooele

The pictures of the K's are wonderful on the Gallery.

Again, STRONGLY believing that there is no such thing as a stupid question, will all versions come with the snow plow?

I have ordered the green #455 and would love to have the flexibility of installing it. If it does not come with the engine, will we be able to order it separately?

Thank you again. This is a WONDERFUL hobby!

Charlie Mutschler

Post 1947 RGS 455 is an interesting case study.  Most of the photos after the rebuild show her equipped with the big pilot plow.  But note that the tender varies.  The 1947 tender rebuild used a cut down tender from a standard gauge locomotive, as well as a cut down standard gauge cab.  HOWEVER - there seem to have been problems with the rebuilt tender, and at times the RGS used the tender from a D&RGW K-27 (the basic K-27 tender) with No. 455. 

Personally, I have always liked pre-November 1943 455, with the original wood cab and original D&RGW rectangular tender in the RGS sunrise herald.  But, any way you look at it, there seem to be a lot of variations of K-27 coming out.  Good news for mudhen lovers. 

Cheerfully anticipating
Charlie Mutschler
-30-

the Bach-man

Dear All,
As far as I know, the plows come only on the specific models, as the pilot beam below has been substantially modified to accept the plow- not a snap on/ snap off situation.
Havefun!
the Bach-man

tommygunner

I have'nt ordered my K-27 yet because no one  [ the Bachman included]has clearly specified wether RGS 455 will be pre-wreck or post-wreck.I would love a definate answer so I can order one and not be surprised at what I get!!  I want a pre-wreck version as I think the post wreck one is ugly, and too late for the period I model. I'd love a little clarity on this point as would several future K-27 owners!!!

Curmudgeon

Tommygunner-
Please look at the photos posted in the photo gallery in the K-27 section, page 4, look at the 455 with black boiler and plow.
Please compare cab size to the one next to it.
Please note the RGS Sunrise Herald.
Please note NO-ONE ELSE makes such a unit.

Until they hit the hands of the consumer and reviewers for measurement and comparison to prototype, no one knows if the cab is within 1" of the prototype dimensions or not, but it LOOKS like it is right on.

Thank-you for choosing Bachmann.

Matthew (OV)

I know I will be signing up for first available delivery of a 455 Post Wreck.  It'll be modified somewhat to run on the SCRY, but not so much that folks won't recognize how it started. 

I'm planning to add a new whistle, rear headlight, cylinder cladding, a round number plate, graphite on the smokebox, and Slate Creek graphics .... and of course a crew, as well as sound and Radio Control. 

Only another month or two to go!

Matthew (OV)

tommygunner

Many apoligies to all. I wrote before I looked. When I last drooled over photos page 4 was'nt there!!Rgs 455 in pic's is most definatly post wreck.Looks like I'll be hunting for decals! I still am very greatfull to Bachmann for crafting my favorite loco and can't wait to get mine!!