News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Remote Switches For Turnouts

Started by kdgrant6, April 06, 2015, 01:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I have an all-EZ Track DCC layout, first on a 4x8, then expanded into another, slightly smaller table with a 2x2.5' connecting section.  I have two DCC crossovers and three turnouts.

All Bachmann.

However, in this expansion, I need turnouts that would occupy a smaller space and have different degrees of diverging track than those offered by Bachmann.

In back-reading this forum, I found that Len offered an excellent suggestion for Bachmann to expand its turnout offerings. Having these options would appeal to those of us who would prefer to use EZ Track but whose layouts require something else. 

(You can link back to Len's very helpful thread here: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,29628.0.html)

I would like to control several of these non-EZ Track turnouts.  Four of them are in an industry area that will have 2 inches on foam on top of the ply wood.  The other turnout I need to remotely control is on a plateau, with 5 inches of foam underneath it.  (I know that's a lot.)

The depth of foam seems to rule out under-the-board mounted switches even with piano wire to extend the throw.  And the surface-mounted ones I've seen are rather bulky.

I don't think Bachmann makes any products that would address this problem.

I would welcome any suggestions?

Jerrys HO

I use #4 turn outs in my yard (assuming that is what your expansion is to be used for).
I have no problems and it takes less room than the #5's. Use anyrail and put them side by side as Len did and you will see. I have heard the Peco switches don't take much room either.

kdgrant6

Bachmann EZ Track Wye #44134 is 11" and listed as a #5A
Peco Wye (SL - 97) is just under 6" with a 24" radius

EZ Track #4 is 10" with a wider diverging angle than a Peco SL - 91/92, which is only 7".

My expansion has an industry.  The Pecos seem to have more capabilities in a smaller space at 1/3 the price, but they aren't DCC controlled as are the EZ Track turnouts.

Len

If they're within reach of your control area, you could use Caboose Industries ground throws and operate them by hand. Or use the Peco PL11 side mount switch machines and control them with a fixed decoder like the Digitrax DS64, or something similar.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

if you are using the pecos, the points snap into positon so you don't need to use motors on them if you don't want to. if you do, the peco motor (pl10?) snaps directly onto the switch itself. to use them, you would need to cut a pit into your foam under the area of the switch points.

I doubt Bachmann would be able to make their switches smaller than they already are. unlike pecos, the length of the ez track switches is determined by the width of the roadbed under the track itself. that translates into longer switches, and wider spacing of parallel tracks in yards.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA