News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hayes bumpers item no. 44591

Started by uncrichard, March 28, 2015, 01:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncrichard

Good day
Why is there no rail joiner on the bumper track? I checked it with a meter and found no connection between the rails, the center piece of the bumper is plastic.

Len

Because no electrical connection is needed to the rails on the bumper. The plastic loops on the bumper and the track it connects to hold it in place.

Remember, a bumper is a safety device, it's not something you should be slamming into on a regular basis.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

the Bach-man

Also, two joiners could cause a short!
the Bach-man

Jerrys HO

Quote from: the Bach-man on March 28, 2015, 10:49:13 PM
Also, two joiners could cause a short!
the Bach-man

How? if they don't connect, how? Inquiring minds need to know. I have rail joiners on both rails and no short.

the Bach-man

Because sometimes the plastic piece that represents the actual bumper breaks free from the sides, which are metal. If they come together, short!
the Bach-man

Trainman203

That little bumper track is so short it doesn't need joiners or power at all...... unless you are trying  to run an 0-2-0 all the way down to the end.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: Trainman203 on April 04, 2015, 11:31:27 PM
That little bumper track is so short it doesn't need joiners or power at all...... unless you are trying  to run an 0-2-0 all the way down to the end.

How about powering an LED to make it a lighted bumper. HMMMMM now who would think of such an idea.
Adding the rail joiner keeps the rails at proper height.

Trainman203

Lionel had a 0-27 lighted bumper 60 years ago.  If there is a prototype for such a bumper I've never heard of it.

ACY

Actually they did exist in real life, but they were not very common,  and were generally only found at very large passenger terminals. I don't know of any instances where they were used in freight yards.