News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD NW2

Started by austrian, March 28, 2015, 02:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrian

Having just read the  Model Railroader review of the Bachmann N scale EMD NW2 I now wish Bachmann could do it in H0 scale, too. It could be used on layouts large and small and there are lots of livery possibilities - so what about it, any chances Bachmann could do it, sound value maybe? My Santa Fe S4s could need some companions....

Thomas

jward

i have been asking for a cow and calf switcher set for a few years now. the nw2 would be a great start, as most calves were b unit versions of the nw2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

For now it's pretty much limited to Broadway Limited for an NW-2. Kato did one a while back, and they show up on the 'Bay now and then.

Be nice if Bachmann did a TR2 set (cow/calf) in Southern.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

MCENTRAL

How about a ALCO T1 ?Someone should make em Besides some guy in his garage doing die cast years ago. Bachmann your almost there already with your s2.We need one!
Pat

jward

alco t1? there is no such animal.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on March 29, 2015, 09:40:10 PM
alco t1? there is no such animal.

Perhaps he means the Alco T-6?

Remember, all Alcos had a dash between the letter and the number.

FPA-4, FA-2, RS-11, S-2, NW-2 etc., etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

MCENTRAL

Quote from: rogertra on March 29, 2015, 09:48:10 PM
Quote from: jward on March 29, 2015, 09:40:10 PM
alco t1? there is no such animal.Yes a Alco T-6 similar to the S-2 ,but it had the notched long hood for the number boards like a RS-11 and different vent details.Same frame?

Perhaps he means the Alco T-6?

Remember, all Alcos had a dash between the letter and the number.

FPA-4, FA-2, RS-11, S-2, NW-2 etc., etc..

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

probably won't be made. limited number built, only 2 major roads had them, in reent years Bachmann has tended to make locomotives which were relatively common and paint them accurately. the nw2/ tr2 would be a much better choice as almost every road of any size had them, it is easier to list who didn't have them (mec, cp, new haven, wm) that to list who did.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MCENTRAL

Quote from: jward on March 30, 2015, 11:06:14 AM
probably won't be made. limited number built, only 2 major roads had them, in reent years Bachmann has tended to make locomotives which were relatively common and paint them accurately. the nw2/ tr2 would be a much better choice as almost every road of any size had them, it is easier to list who didn't have them (mec, cp, new haven, wm) that to list who did.
Are you talking about the nw2 or the Alco t-6.Either cold be done regardless of the roads ,since they are switchers ,many change hands ,rebuilds ,private company's ect... The t-6 was designed for higher speed like branch duty compared to the s-series and it is a ALCO. Built by the men who built steam! I herd that somewhere and thought it was a pretty cool and true statement .

jward

57 units produced for t6 vs hundreds for the nw2. t6 had 40 for n&w and 6 for pennsy plus a few for obscure shortlines and industrial operations. sounds like something that would sell well to me. everybody would be standing in line for a t6. it would singlehandedly resurrect the local hobby shop. don't have gas to get home and don't know whats for dinner as the freezer is empty, but darn it I gots me a t6!

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

austrian

I can`t see Bachmann doing the Alco T-6. I think that the T-6 would be more likely come as a limited production run in brass.
But I hope that a NW2 is not an unlikely candidate  for Bachmann to bring woith lots of them used for a long time in an abundance of liveries. And they already did all the prototype research for the N scale one.

OK Bachmann, here is my preorder for 2 Santa Fe NW2 in zebra stripe and a cow and calf in blue/yellow to be delivered before december 24th  ;D

ps: sound value, of course!

jward

t6s were done in brass, I have one. believe me, you can find them for less than the cost of a newly released plastic locomotive.

I agree whole heartedly about the nw2 being an excellent candidate for a new model. the real ones ran from the late 1930s all the way into the 1980s on major railroads, somewhat longer on the smaller ones. there are probably a few still running to this day, in industrial use. enough lines bought them that you could release different roadnames every year for about 10 years and still not do them all. as an example, of the 6 main railroads that went into conrail, 4 were running nw2s at the time of the takeover and a fifth had just sold theirs off. if there were a truly universal switcher, the nw2 would be it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MCENTRAL

A NW2 would be great .Like to see something else come out of the Spectrum line up in diesel.The only Spectrum diesel still offered is the 45 toner.Still  favor  The ALCO T-6.A reason for requesting the obscure model would be the modern day sd70,This is turning into the EMD F7 of the past .Everyone makes one version.Now Walthers in jumping in with there new version of there sd 70 .Cool to see so many options we have these days of the same model.Like to see someone do that Alco C 415 also .It has been done in brass and the old AHM /ihc thing .They are still out there in service amazingly for the limited number that were built.
Pat

jward

i believe bowser is coming out with a c415.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MCENTRAL

Quote from: jward on April 02, 2015, 10:48:15 AM
i believe bowser is coming out with a c415.
That will be the perfect match since Bowser seems to be doing most of the Alco century series themselves.They went out on a limb doing all those ALCO's and those MLW's and it is surly making many happy espeshally since they are doing them.Seems like everyone makes a RS somthing.