should i get the baldwin 2-8-0 or the 2-8-4 berkshire?

Started by sedfred, March 30, 2015, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

how much longer will the 2-8-0 be around? are there any plans to discontinue it soon? I really want it but I don't know how long it will be around.

Irbricksceo

I can't speak for Bachmann but it has been one of their most popular steam locomotives for a long time (seriously, it has been around for what, 20+ years?) so I would not predict it going away any time soon. But hey, for all I know it could be gone tommorow.
Modeling NYC in N

electrical whiz kid

Brick;
Not long ago on Evil-bay, I picked up a couple of the old Bachmann 2-8-0 locomotives.  Comparatively speaking, these models were junk; but I liked the overall chunky looks with that Whooten firebox.  I will re-motor the unit, check the drive linkage, and then "remodel" to my little old heart's content. 
You are right to presume that the present model will be around for a bit-why would Bachmann ditch a winner?   More money this way.
SGT C.

Irbricksceo

I was referring to the current 2-8-0 which, further looking says was 1998 so ~17 years. I had forgotten the old reading one to be honest, I've seen some cool stuff done with them, changing them from junk to quite nice locomotives though this took a lot of work I'd bet.
Modeling NYC in N

Irbricksceo

Since Pictures can help, here are three.

First, the 2-8-4 on 18 inch and the 2-8-0 on 22 inch Notice how silly the 2-8-4 looks

second, I switched em. Notices that the 2-8-4 suffers a lot more from that reduction to 18.

Finally side by side, I will say that I prefer the valve gear on the 2-8-4 however both are very nice looking.
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

What they ought to do is make an SP boiler to go on  the present under frame and put the medium vanderbilt tender that hey used to sell behind it.  How about it, Bach Man?  There are thousands who would buy an SP 2-8-0.

rogertra

Quote from: Irbricksceo on April 02, 2015, 02:03:21 PM
I was referring to the current 2-8-0 which, further looking says was 1998 so ~17 years. I had forgotten the old reading one to be honest, I've seen some cool stuff done with them, changing them from junk to quite nice locomotives though this took a lot of work I'd bet.

My old Reading 2-8-0, bought for the purpose at a train show, is now on my scrap line: -

Trainman203

That's great Roger.  All of the HO engines I had in high school in the 60s could be in that line too, none of them ran worth a !?!!!$$&@@@!!!@!