News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lubrication

Started by bob kaplan, April 01, 2015, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Is it advisable to remove the cover plate and put a drop of light oil on the motor shaft that exits the housing of the motor in the trucks of the climax, shay and heisler?....or will this lead to problems such as clogging,etc.   Thanks for the input.

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,  should be ok unless you are running outside in dusty conditions.  Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

jviss

Bill, kinda surprised by that response.  Also, the post Bob, are you saying "is it O.K. to lubricate the motor bearings?"  I would say, yes, that it's not only "O.K.," but that it's necessary for long life and proper operation.  The thing that Bill may be getting at is that one source of trouble, in addition to too little lubrication, is too much oil.  Oil all over will pick up dirt, and that can lead to problems. 

My view is that the slightest amount of quality machine oil, i.e., not detergent motor oil, ever, is best.  If you could get 1/2 a drop of oil onto the shaft so that it runs into the bearing and leaves a film of oil on the mating surfaces of the shaft and bearing, that's perfect!  Wipe off the extra right away. 
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Loco Bill Canelos

JVISS,
I don't understand why you would be surprised. I meant exactly what I said it should be OK to put a ''drop" under the cover.  Be sure to use plastic compatible oil.  Many types of machine oil are not plastic compatible so beware and read the label to make sure.   If sand or dust cling to the oil it will cause trouble.  After many years of outdoor railroading it never ceases to amaze how dust and dirt get to moving parts even with just a drop of oil   The Bachmann line of lubricants are the safest and guaranteed plastic compatible.  If operating in dusty conditions it may be necessary to clean surfaces and re lube after a time, periodic checks can't hurt. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Hunt

Large scale 1:20.3 Lubrication - Click on the following to view Bachmann video.

Click Here    38 Ton Shay

Click Here    Climax

Click Here    Heisler

jviss

Bill, with all due respect, while you say "I said it should be OK to put a ''drop" under the cover," you said no such thing.  You said "should be ok unless you are running outside in dusty conditions" in response to "s it advisable to remove the cover plate and put a drop of light oil on the motor shaft that exits the housing of the motor?"

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Open Streetcar

Old John

jviss

Bob Caplan's original question was

"Is it advisable to remove the cover plate and put a drop of light oil on the motor shaft that exits the housing of the motor in the trucks of the climax, shay and heisler?....or will this lead to problems such as clogging,etc."

Bill was responding to the "drop of light oil" as was originally asked.

charon

c'mon jviss, get with the program ;)
Mesquite Short Line

bob kaplan

Thanks for the responses...
   and to cause a bit more "discussion".....the climax and heisler video's show the removal of the cover plate and the lubing of the motor shaft....to me the shay's trucks and motor look very similar.   Why would it not be advisable to remove the cover plate and oil those shay motors/trucks.   I do realize that the shay was the first of the geared engines released....thousands of years ago....perhaps things have changes a bit?

jviss

Sorry, I was just in a particularly nerdy mood.
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Open Streetcar

Joe Zullo

jviss

Hey Joe, can't see what you posted - "failed to open page."
Bachmann Big Hauler fan