News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Segregated Tracks on One DCC Controller?

Started by Netgeist, April 02, 2015, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netgeist

Hello,

I have the EZ DCC Controller and currently have multiple trains running on EZ Tracks, connecting the tracks with turnouts for continuous power. What I would like to do is actually segregate some of the lines so that certain trains are on completely different tracks but run them all through the same controller. Is it possible to do that with this system? If so, how do I get the cables back into the controller? Do I somehow connect the terminal rails together using something like the Bachmann extension cables?

Thanks in advance for your help,

- netgeist

guslcp

Are you thinking of running different engines at the same time with just one controller..??
I guess it can be done, but you will soon find that since no two engines run exactly the same, you will need to adjust that engine's speed, which will then affect the other engines, and so on...
As  a general rule of thumb, each engine should be controlled by its own controller.

Gus.

Netgeist

Gus,

I am currently running multiple engines on the same layout with the same DCC controller - each with it's own address. The tracks are all connected via turn outs so the controller powers the whole layout. I want to continue to run multiple trains on this DCC controller but not have the tracks connected at all.

- netgeist

rogertra

Quote from: Netgeist on April 03, 2015, 12:11:50 AM
Gus,

I am currently running multiple engines on the same layout with the same DCC controller - each with it's own address. The tracks are all connected via turn outs so the controller powers the whole layout. I want to continue to run multiple trains on this DCC controller but not have the tracks connected at all.

- netgeist

Why?

Cheers

Roger T.

Netgeist

Because some of the trains really struggle with the EZ turnouts...they derail or lose power briefly crossing them. Also because it fits ideas I have for a layout I want to do.

rogertra

Quote from: Netgeist on April 03, 2015, 12:41:36 AM
Because some of the trains really struggle with the EZ turnouts...they derail or lose power briefly crossing them. Also because it fits ideas I have for a layout I want to do.

You should not rely solely on the rails to conduct the DCC signal.  You need to run extra feeders and spread them around your model railroad.  The more feeders, the better electrical supply.  Rails and rail joiners are not good conductors.

Cheers

Roger T.

Netgeist

I'm very new to this, so I am not sure what you mean by a feeder. It may be what I am after. Bachmann sells extension cables. Could I run one from a terminal to another terminal?

- netgeist

rogertra

Quote from: Netgeist on April 03, 2015, 01:16:13 AM
I'm very new to this, so I am not sure what you mean by a feeder. It may be what I am after. Bachmann sells extension cables. Could I run one from a terminal to another terminal?

- netgeist

I do not use Bachmann track, nor any set track but the short answer is "Yes".  If you are running DCC you can link all your terminal track together,

Feeder = any wire from your throttle to the track or any wire running from track to track.

You do not need to use Bachmann extension cables.  Any 18 gauge wire will do.  Buy two colours so you can keep track of polarity and do not cross polarity.

If you are new, buy some books on DCC wiring for model railroads, scenery for model railroads, track plans for model railroads and any other books you can find on model railroading.  You will not regret it.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

GeisterMeister, if you are looking to isolate certain sections of your layout, you can use Atlas Code 100 Insulated Rail Joiners in place of the metal ones, for those sections you want to separate.  Then you would employ the feeders Roger mentioned, with an On/Off switch in between the wires coming from your power source, to where they go to your track sections that have been isolated.  This will allow you to turn on/off those sections w/the On/Off switch.   This also allows you to "park" locomotives in turned off sections.

And I agree, instead of buying an "extension" you can splice in a section of similar gauge wire to get where you want it to go.
Keep Calm and Carry On