News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 19

Started by TrainFan2020, April 02, 2015, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwr duck

hahahaha love the whos Geoffrey episode really loving the righting on the new season and I spyed with my little eye that spencer was wearing LNER headlamps nice touch ARC  ;D ;D ;D

MeganekkoFury1126

Well, might as well keep updating this thread.

Wild Water Rescue

Honestly, this episode really exceeded my expectations. We have another great story from a new writer, in this case Becky Overton. Remember how well the Percy and Diesel dynamic worked in past episodes, even in the Barlow era? Well, it worked just as well here. It was a nice turn of events that Diesel actually succeeded in his trick for once and got his picture taken, but definitely not in the way he wanted. It's definitely a nice twist where Percy doesn't automatically win and Diesel doesn't automatically lose. I'm glad they made use of Emily's coach renders for more rolling stock by ARC. I really liked the gloomy scenery animated for the old quarry, and Percy's accident is very reminiscent of Percy's Promise. I really can't think of a moment that I didn't like at all! Really I don't! 10/10

thomasj219

Where did you see this one??
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

JLK2707

I just wonder when the new episodes for season 19 come out.

Metal

I'm glad about what I'm seeing. The Little Western is starting to feel more coastal, more like the GWR lines in Britain. I've thought the whale serving as the catalyst, was a great idea. Toad in CGI, has become one of the most intellectual and resourceful characters in the show. It's at least a good thing the Search and Rescue didn't consider using explosives.

"Who's Geoffrey" ought to be a very weird episode, it's something that rarely happens in the show. But I loved it, especially Thomas' Geoffrey impersonation gave me a laugh. I actually prefer the characters this way.

Reg himself, despite being a stationary character, is a really enjoyable one. As for Henrietta, well I now think that giving her a face was actually a great idea for the show, she's not a pet rock, and the way she plays off Toby makes it feel like they're like an old couple.  When the engines were spreading rumors about Toby's demise, notice how mournful the dialogue sounded. Makes me wonder what the tone might be in the future.

With Henry, well....I think his worrisome persona would work better if he'd fear breaking down, take "Henry's Hero" for example, being one of Henry's strongest episodes. But with a human disease, it doesn't seem to work so much to me. However my biggest gripe with the episode is the humor that revolves around STH/TFC. In this season, it really feels forced, especially the "ripped paints" sequence. It might be me, though. I did however get a laugh, at the paint scene, as if Gordon ran over a damsel in distress.

The Search and Rescue Team, they've grown on me, I can tolerate them now. Even though they're still in the show, it's better seeing what they're doing now, compared to "Fireboxes on Fire."

Chaz

Honestly, I felt the exact same way when I saw Henry Spots Trouble.  Even though I haven't done reviews on here as much as I used to (MeganekkoFury1126 seems to be doing a good job of doing that for me it seems :P), this one would easily be at the very bottom on my favorite episode  list from this season.  Judging by the general reaction I've seen from other fans, it's clear I'm not the only one.

Forced humor is never funny, especially when it doesn't contribute anything to the episode.  The scene where Sir Topham Hatt ripped his pants was honestly one of the most cringe-worthy moments I think the show has had in a long time.  Even though I felt the episode was already weak to begin with, that moment just killed it for me.  I can always let humor slide every now and again, like in Lost Property or even the shed gag in Duck and the Slip Coaches, even if arguably the last one triggered a few fans, I can at the very least see why the writers included that moment.  However, I can't find myself saying that for what was shown in Henry Spots Trouble.  It was a little over-the-top and really distracting in the episode.  Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't find that moment funny.

Apart from that episode though, I'd say the rest of the episodes were decent.  The Truth About Toby is easily my favorite so far this season as it was great to see such a variety of characters involved as well as this being one of the first good Toby episodes in a long time.  I dare say the last decent Toby episode we got was in season 6!  I feel Wild Water Rescue deserves a mention from me too, since I honestly thought this episode was going to be horrible since I thought it was going to be another Belle/Flynn episode that we would have to sit through.  This though, was phenomenally better than I thought it was going to be and I think Percy and Diesel's relationship is explored so much better in this episode than it was in Percy and the Calliope.  

Overall, I have to say that this season is definitely off to an interesting start and I am interested in seeing where the rest of the season goes from there.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

Excuse me, this might just be a bit irrelevant, but I am wondering if the brake van with a face from a close shave was indeed the spiteful NW brake van with a different face.

clan line 35028

the writers did a rather good job with Duke the lost engine. but after seeing the CGI you never see him again. he is a very key character to the narrow gauge locomotives. having saved Sir Handel (falcon on the old railway) and taught all the others.

MeganekkoFury1126

Thanks Chaz, I figured that since the season's already out, anyone's opinion is better than none at all. :)
And to be honest, my opinion on that episode has gotten worse as time went on, watching it again and again, and I can see all the other reasons why it didn't work.

As for Duke, who knows? Maybe he will make a return. If Daisy could come back and a coffee pot engine was introduced to the series, I think anything's possible. We've already gotten a lot of good things back, so I think it's best not to get spoiled. Besides, the writers probably should take their time if they want to adapt him in while sticking more true to the Railway Series.

And Sir Handel? Actually, I would LOVE a Sir Handel episode in this season, or any future one. With Brenner and the rest of the new writers, I think that they could easily write an episode where Sir Handel is back to his selfish, irritated self like he was in season 4. If they could do two great episodes with Duncan last season, I don't see why this can't be done. :)

JLK2707

Hopefully they'll bring back the TAR tanker wagon in CGI! I would just love to see that!  :)

Metal

Seems that we got more of S19 news.

This time a female based episode. Caitlin sure seems to overshadow Connor, kind of a shame really because I love NYC Hudsons, but nonetheless, I'm sure it well trun out great.
Rather then the Classic characters returning and getting a handful of episodes, it's also good to see Brenner/Mccue give as much dedication to their own characters as they do with the Classics.

Do share your thoughts. :)

MeganekkoFury1126

Huh, this does look interesting, especially the former.

As much as I do like the classic returnees getting their own episodes again, it's good to se the new team put in just as much emphasis on the newer characters so no one is left out.

I agree about Connor, I do prefer him, but I do like Caitlin as well, and she is interesting. It looks like a real girl power episode is in store for her and Emily. This I welcome as girls should be treated just as important on the railway as the boys just like in real life, and it'll be interesting to see the two females go speed against splendor.

As for the story on Thomas and Spencer, I'm a little dubious. We've seen times where Thomas and Spencer interact that turned into duds (E.G. Topped Off Thomas) or just turn out okay (Dream On). But considering this is the new team doing it, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Metal

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on August 05, 2015, 06:53:16 PM
As much as I do like the classic returnees getting their own episodes again, it's good to se the new team put in just as much emphasis on the newer characters so no one is left out.
With the CGI characters they're actually quite appealing. They're much better developed and feel like actual characters compared to the characters from S9-16. Though in S17, half of it revolved around giving the S13-16 characters a second chance.

With Charlie and Stafford, well it's good to see them try but they both fell flat. I will say that Charlie's ep was pretty clever. But nowadays it's at least a good thing he's in the Shunting Yard. ;)
With Scruff, it was a pretty unique "Harvey Dent" scenario.
As for Belle/Flynn, for them, I'd say it was fair. Though personally, I'd prefer Belle over Flynn, character-wise. However it's save to say that their use and purpose has at least become much more logical, compared to their roles from the previous era. So I'm fine with that. I actually can tolerate an 4MT with fire hoses, then inbred stereotypes.
But I think Hiro came out the strongest, both his episodes are equally my favorites of S17.
Personally out of the characters from the previous era, I'd keep; Hiro, Victor, Paxton, and Luke.
But it's at least a good thing on how the others are utilized to make them at least tolerable.  

JLK2707

Does anybody just happen to know when the new episodes of season 19 are coming out?