News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 19

Started by TrainFan2020, April 02, 2015, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan2020

Here is the new topic threat for Season 19 of Thomas & Friends, which will be coming soon in 2015. Place any episode suggestions, predictions, episode reviews and possibly what classic series characters you want to see make a return. Enjoy!

Blackfive1994

One episode idea I have is 'Berth Brawl' to fix the problem with Duck and Emily at Tidmouth Sheds.

Sypnosis: When Tidmouth Sheds gets filled up again, a sad Emily joins with Duck, Donald, Douglas and Oliver on the Little Western. Duck   tells her one of his stories from the GWR proving that he too had engine shed problems instigated by the larger GWR engines.

TrainFan2020

I heard that "Whale of a Tale and Other Sodor Adventures" is an upcoming US DVD that will involve new episodes from S19! I can't wait for that!!

Blackfive1994

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43987418

An exclusive DVD at Walmart.

The episode titles no doubt are marine themed.

TrainFan2020

Quote from: Blackfive1994 on April 03, 2015, 12:41:02 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/43987418

An exclusive DVD at Walmart.

The episode titles no doubt are marine themed.

That's what i ment

DoggySporty

I want to see Donald and Douglas return, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, even if they're a few more seasons away.

I also want some characters like Rosie to have a respectable role again...  Some of the "new series" characters are personal favorites of mine.  I think Rosie would benefit from the huge improvement in characterization we're seen these days.  If Henrietta can gain a great personality, I don't see how any other character couldn't.

Maybe something about Toby being confident despite being old and on the weaker side.  Perhaps a story line about all the engines getting easy jobs and only Toby getting his done because he doesn't put if off or underestimate it.

I'd also like to see Molly return, but that's a wish I'd accept if it never came true.  It's hard to think of a practical reason she'd come back other than to reintroduce her to the current toy lines.

Chaz

I feel like the show is better off without Rosie, as with other characters in the show they've been using a lot less.  I think the show is focusing more on characters that allow them to have more potential for unique and interesting stories, which is why we've been seeing Toad get more attention than Oliver, or even Duncan being the only narrow gauge engine to get episodes in the 18th season.   With characters like Rosie or Molly, there really isn't that much you can do with them.  

Even the use of characters of the steam team has been more limited to some degree, as they've been giving characters like Paxton, Timothy, or Bill and Ben more roles, since with their unique personalities there is a lot more they can do with them.  It's why we've been seeing Duck and James playing off against each other in season 18 since they're both fairly egotistical characters.  When characters were forced into stories, much like in season 8-16, the episodes didn't work and the characters were forced to be flawed.  When characters were given stories that worked naturally for them, like in seasons 1-7 and 17-18, they became much more effective.  

Edward is a perfect example of a character who has been blatantly forced through audiences with weak episodes throughout 8-16.  When season 18 came around with Old Reliable Edward, it became one of the best openers to a new season, as well as one of the best roles Edward had in a long time.  It really shows that when they have an idea that works for an episode with a particular character, it works really well, and it works effectively!  Hiro is another example of a character who had a poor portrayal in season 13-16, but both of his season 17 episodes are easily on my top 10 favorite episodes from that season, as both of them gave Hiro roles that were effective.  I actually found Signals Crossed to be a decent episode as it gave Henrietta and Toby a unique role that made the characters work well together.  That being said I would like to see Toby have a less-cowardly like role in the future, since that is something that made me cringe in the episode.  Maybe if they allowed a flawed character like James or Samson to work with Toby and having Toby be a wise engine, much like in the classic series, I could see Toby potentially having a decent role in the future.  

Say what you will about characters that haven't had starring roles recently, but I would rather wait until they can give a character a story that works with them, rather than having a forced plot like they have given other characters in season 8-16.  I believe the show is working more towards quality when it comes to giving characters their own roles, not quantity.  It would certainly be nice if other characters were given a chance for a storyline, but I would rather have two decent episodes starring Duncan, rather than 3 or 4 average episodes for the other narrow gauge engines.  If characters were forced into the episodes like they were in previous episodes, the characters would become less interesting, as the stories have been around that era.  This is a new generation of Thomas that has given us quality story-telling, and I believe that's what counts for more than anything with these episodes.  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

DoggySporty

Sometimes I feel like Edward and Toby fall into the category of "not much you can do with," since it is true that being old and wise is only entertaining for so long.  Of course, that would be the excuse of a poor writer, since a writer's job is to be creative and not rely on the go-to cliches.
James is one of the best characters so base stories on, because his personality drives the plot, not the surrounding circumstances.  Regardless, I'm getting pretty irritated by him.  A person can only screw up so many times before it stops being a form of youthful charm and starts to seem like a form of genuine stupidity.  Like someone once said before, "I don't know why Sir Topham Hatt keeps him around anymore."
A good story for Toby in my opinion was "Baa," despite the goofy title.  Toby uses his light weight to his advantage to cross and bridge that bigger, stronger engines could not.  This also required bravery, and Toby wasn't forced by the others to do it.  He was old and wise, but also brave and noble.

Chaz

Quote from: DoggySporty on April 03, 2015, 10:38:23 PM
Sometimes I feel like Edward and Toby fall into the category of "not much you can do with," since it is true that being old and wise is only entertaining for so long.  Of course, that would be the excuse of a poor writer, since a writer's job is to be creative and not rely on the go-to cliches.

I definitely agree with this, since there is so much you can do with that.  I think that is why they are focusing on James since he is a character with his flaws, which makes him easier to explore for story-telling as opposed to Toby, Edward, or even Hiro for that matter.

I agree with you on your point with "Baa" too, I feel like that an episode like that for Toby is long overdue, but as I suggested earlier it would work well with a character who is flawed.  Bulls Eyes is another perfect example of where Toby had a perfect role with a character who also had her flaws as well, Daisy. 

I guess if there is another character who I would be interested in seeing return at some point is Arthur.  I feel they could pull off a decent story with Arthur if they were to make him a returnee since he has his own branch line.  I mentioned the idea of Arthur pulling the flying kipper for an episode, and I feel that could really work out.  I've always liked Arthur more than Murdoch, or even Fergus, which is why I'm hoping he'll be the next character to return non-Awdry wise.  Though I could see how it might be harder to do a story with Arthur, besides the idea I mentioned, simply because Arthur's persona is nowhere close to flawed and might not have much to explore besides a few appearances every now and again like Oliver.  Hopefully we can see something from him soon.  He's not just one of my favorite characters, but even the Bach-man himself has mentioned to me that he likes Arthur! 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

I just wonder if they would do an episode where Henry explains about how he came to his new shape and used flashbacks of him in his old shape. What do you think? Does this sound possible or is it wishful thinking?

Blackfive1994

or even explain that the fat controller's nickname was originally the fat director.

JLK2707

Also, what is the address for hit entertainment as I want to suggest these to them.

Blackfive1994

Quote from: JLK2707 on April 04, 2015, 05:56:26 AM
Also, what is the address for hit entertainment as I want to suggest these to them.
http://www.hitentertainment.com/corporate/contact.aspx

all contacts for HiT are on this link.

DoggySporty

Quote from: JLK2707 on April 04, 2015, 05:44:18 AM
I just wonder if they would do an episode where Henry explains about how he came to his new shape and used flashbacks of him in his old shape. What do you think? Does this sound possible or is it wishful thinking?

I think it sounds reasonably plausible, but I can't say I'd place any bets on it.  It would be nice to see though!

Metal

Quote from: Chaz on April 03, 2015, 09:10:05 PM
I feel like the show is better off without Rosie, as with other characters in the show they've been using a lot less.  I think the show is focusing more on characters that allow them to have more potential for unique and interesting stories, which is why we've been seeing Toad get more attention than Oliver, or even Duncan being the only narrow gauge engine to get episodes in the 18th season.   With characters like Rosie or Molly, there really isn't that much you can do with them.  

The same could be said about Stanley, too me, he feels like a bland Thomas clone. It's not that Rosie and Stanley are bad characters, but they've seem to have been relegated into cameos. The Shunting Yard in the show is kinda like a dumping ground, nowadays.  You would see Rosie, Stanley, Charlie, and Stafford there. Pretty clever way to utilize them. You have the S17-present characters that are developed/or developing that have strong personalities. Look at characters like Marion. Though the S13-16 characters did get a second chance.  However I think Hiro was the gem worth salvaging. He has been my favorite CGI character, now tied to Marion. It's good to see that Hiro's character was done justice. He's had great roles ever since. It shows that the old can mix well with the new.
I completely doubt that the S17-18 characters replaced the classic characters.
They seem to fill the shoes of the 'missed opportunities with lost potential' especially the ones from S9-12

Derek, Thumper, Bertrem, Neville, Dennis, Mighty Mac, Billy, Hank, etc.

As for Classic Returnees.
(Donald/Douglas are off the list, since they've been confirmed.)

Boco-This character has never had a starring role, however he would make a contribution to the character formula.

Daisy-Despite having few roles, she's a well-developed character, there's so much story arc that you could do with her. However I hope that the sexist accusations don't get in the way of her making a comeback.

Terrance-Well this character can make a potential contribution with the road characters.

Stepney-Well given that the general opinion over Stepney is divided. I would say go for it with a comeback. It would be fun if we got to see him interact with Stephen, bantering off one another.

Murdoch-I think this character has potential for a comeback, S7 has introduced fantastic characters and they each served a purpose. With Murdoch, imagine how epic of a duo he and Hiro would make being powerful goods engines.

Arthur- Like Murdoch, I think he deserves a comeback, I think that there's alot that the writers can do with them, say one of the current writers wrote starring episodes for Arthur. Plus what's the Fishing Village without Arthur?