News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 19

Started by TrainFan2020, April 02, 2015, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasj219

I always wondered how his crew saw out those tiny windows.  ;)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Metal

Can people stop double posting, not to clog up this thread?

Anyway, With Old-Shape Henry, my exceptions are next-to-never. CGI rendering isn't like modeling Hornby/Bachmann. Adding an accessory like a lamp is a simple outside detail, but if you were to convert Henry into his Old-Shape, you can't just simply cut-out the firebox in CGI as you could with a solid object. See Henry's firebox is a part the entire render that makes up whole piece. Changing the livery is a simple modification in color coding, like we've seen with Black James, or Blue Bill/Ben. However, with Henry's Old-Shape in CGI, you would have to start over from an entire new render. ???

I studied Digital Arts and Animation for a semester. ::)
CGI and Live-Action Models are completely different aspects.

I think Arc's Animation Budget is better spent rendering a completely different character whether it's a classic or new.

Personally, I think that Henry's Old Shape is a big deal, but then again "Why didn't Henry get a Black 5 tender with his New-Shape?"

Humorously, though I couldn't tell the difference between Old-Shape Henry, until I've seen a Bachmann conversion. :P

JLK2707

I'm very sorry about my repetitive posts. Please just forgive me for it. I didn't mean to annoy you.

DoggySporty

For years I thought of an episode where Annie and Clarabel get a chance to travel behind Gordon instead of Thomas, but we now have this episode, only instead of Gordon they are pulled by Caitlin.  I always wanted Annie and Clarabel to have an episode to themselves and Brenner delivered!

Another episode I have thought of, which to my knowledge hasn't been made yet, is an engine needing repairs and being afraid to go the the Steam Works because they've never been there before.  Yes, you'd need a new character to fill this role, but the new character could be anyone lacking the arrogant personality archetype.  It could be a sort of parallel to kid being afraid of going to the hospital or dentist for the first time, yet still have roots in railway themes.

If this episode does happen to be made, I just hope Toby doesn't get the role.

Metal

With all this talk about Rosie and Stanley, I hardly hear people bring up Whiff, personally I think he's an overlooked character. He had a one-off introduction in the model series, however in the CGI era, he became more fleshed out, especially in "MIR" when he was the best character in the movie, IMO. Plus he's at least given a purpose running a waste dump. He would make a great play-off character, give him an episode with James, Diesel, or maybe Samson. Whiff's character seems to the most appealing out of the S9-12, it's shown that there's more from him then what lies behind his glasses. ;) 

TrainFan2020

5 new episodes for Season 19 that were announced!!

-Toad and the Whale
-Who's Geoffrey?
-The Truth About Toby
-Lost Property
-A Spot of Bother

Also, any predictions for the new engine, Geoffrey?

-Tim

gwr duck

och that truth about toby looks like its going to dive into his past well fingers crossed anyway

MeganekkoFury1126

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwbKKViBBkI

Looks like our first slice of season 19 is out in the open! Not sure what episode this is from, but already we've seen even more improvement in Arc's animation.

Cheeky_ULP

Not a fan of the Sodor Search and Rescue stuff, personally.

Luckily, we got a clip of Whale of a Tale, which is the shows first Little Western story in years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5dEulTKIhU

MeganekkoFury1126

I think that team is really getting the chemistry between the 3 Great Western's that I feel was a little unfulfilled in the classic era. So, I'm glad they're delving into it for this episode when it fully comes out.

Metal

Whether you're a fan of the Search and Rescue Center or not, I will admit that I would use that scene at the beginning of the clip as a portrait to hang on my wall, it looks absolutely stunning.
I also like the scene with Harold saving a civilian from a flood, maybe not as climatic, but compared to what's happened S13-16, it's better than having him saving drifting party balloons. Also it seems like Belle/Flynn are staying in the show. However between Rosie or Belle, is it wrong to say I would rather see Belle over Rosie? At least she's not having 'What girls like' quota.  :P

Anyway, now the real thing
Other then Oliver's scaling, which I'm not to bothered much, though, I'm sure Arc will fix it in a season or two. It's great to see the Great Western duo having a story. I wonder if Donald/Douglas will appear.
The Little Western scenery is starting to look more coastal. I can't help but laugh at Toad's singing. ;D   

Chaz

I liked both of the clips that were revealed so far.  Oliver's line "This is what happens when Toad is in a good mood" was pretty funny in regards to Toad's singing.  Perfect comeback to the singing too I'll admit.  Even the Search and Rescue center clip looks interesting, and I thought the animation was stunning with Harold flying all over different parts of the railway.  I give both of the clips two thumbs up, and hopefully the episodes will be as promising as the clips are. 

That and these DVDs will be out right as I'm finishing college so that's some extra motivation for me to get through these next couple of weeks!

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

JLK2707

If Daisy and Diesel 10 were to pull anything whatsoever, what would it be?

AJW98Productions

Quote from: JLK2707 on May 23, 2015, 07:03:21 AM
If Daisy and Diesel 10 were to pull anything whatsoever, what would it be?
A milk tanker of course :D, Dairy van if it's RWS logic though :P ...I'm sorry I couldn't help the urge to make that reference
~Alex

MeganekkoFury1126

Well, with the first 5 season 19 episodes out now, we can all express opinions on them now. So, here we go.

Toad and the Whale

Arguably the most anticipated episode of the 5. I was a little worried I admit, that it would be too much like Toad's Adventure or Toad's Bright Idea. But it indeed was something fresh! I think this is the closest the show will get to animal death, and they handled it very well. The writers also seem to have done their homework about whale biology. I think the best thing new writer Helen Farrall got down was the relationship between Oliver and Toad, which was arguably better handled in this episode compared to Toad's Adventure. I didn't mind Thomas' role in this episode, though I still think his role could've gone to some engine else. Additionally, all the Search & Rescue members were handled nicely, especially Belle. I must say she's really grown on me now. I guess it helps she's in better writing hands. Though, I'm a little confused how Butch would "tow" the whale considering how it was edited, I don't know... All in all, it's a pretty sweet yet serious episode, and really handled Oliver and Toad wonderfully. 9/10

The Truth About Toby

For those who really wanted Toby back to his original personality, you've got it! This episode is another good example that putting a face on Henrietta was a great idea. The interaction between her and Toby felt so appropriate, and I'll take Toby in his somewhat stubborn and easily irritated attitude over the Barlow era wimp attitude any day. I liked how Reg was handled here as well, though, the scene of him picking up Toby and throwing the car across the lines did feel a little over the top. I also feel Edward learning about the rumor twice didn't make sense. But compared to what mistakes were done in Barlow episodes, they're nothing. In fact, I'll say this is season 9's Thomas and the New Engine done correctly, especially how much better the moral of not to spread rumors was delivered, as it felt so well paced throughout. I'm gonna give this one a 8/10.

Who's Geoffrey?

Arguably, this is my favorite of the new 5 episodes. A very nice slice of life episode we have here. It seems they really work nicely for Thomas focused episodes. I'm sure this episode's moral will be the most relatable to children who watch it - trying to blame their mistake on a made up person. The pacing of this episode was great. I especially like how well paced it was how Thomas continually lied about Geoffrey, and how it was spread to the amount of characters involved. I think the best parts were both Sir Topham Hatt telling Thomas the right thing to do with his own experiences, and Thomas pulling off a "Kermit the Frog" voice in the tunnel. I really like Percy's new voice they obtained, it sounds much more appropriate for him, just like James' new one. If there's something I didn't really like, is the ending. I'm not quite sure what they were trying to tell, since we don't actually see what mistake Thomas does at the end. Well, that and how odd the crossing gates acted when Bertie was crossing. They're a bit confusing to me, but honestly not a particularly bad thing in an otherwise great episode. 9/10.

Henry Spots Trouble

I know A LOT of people who are not going to like this episode. I for one am a bit split. What good it did was really good, but the big elephant in the room IS what does bring the episode down for me. I know a lot of people complain that Henry is the only one of the classic characters who hasn't come close to being restored to his original personality - a high strung complainer. Whilst I feel he was correctly in character in Henry's Hero, I do admit it confuses me why they haven't done it yet, and it is a little troubling that they're going to stick with Henry being a worrier. That being said, the way the episode was handled was extremely relatable. The old saying of what "we don't understand, we fear" used as the plot is handled very properly, as well as Sir Topham Hatt explaining them at the end. Davey Moore once again shows how good he is at writing humor in this episode. My favorite moments are when Connor splashes Gordon with red paint and the painter walks awkwardly away. Gordon's reactions are absolutely priceless. Oh yeah, and Sir Topham Hatt doing a SpongeBob mistake. I'm really happy that Stephen and Bridgette were in this episode, and they really worked for it extremely well. The same could be said for Paxton. He once again is showing to be one of my favorite newer era characters. So, in the end, it's not a bad episode, even if Henry is not how we originally knew him as. It's amazing how the lesser good episodes in the Brenner era don't even come close to the bad episodes of the Barlow era. 5.5/10.

Lost Property

Yet another solid slice of life episode. Helen Parrall is really showing to be a very talented writer on the show already with this episode and Toad and the Whale. Once again, the pacing is well executed. Not the best, but still good. Good build up at the beginning, nice play out in the middle, and the ending where everything comes full circle. I can say the episode isn't exactly the most exciting episode overall, but it doesn't make me dislike the episode at all. The way Thomas and Sir Topham Hatt run into one problem after the next on the most unfortunate of days is not only funny to watch, but extremely relatable. We all have those days where we feel things just keep getting worse when we least want them to. Sir Topham Hatt getting angry at the obnoxious little boy was extremely funny, as well as Annie's reaction. I can easily see this episode being pulled off the pages of the Railway Series. 8/10

So, what do you all think? I think season 19 is on to a pretty good start, and I eagerly await the next episodes coming out later this year! No spoilers of returning characters yet, nor any spoilers to Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure yet, which I think is a good thing. I can't get over the beautiful improved animation and am anticipating the return of more old favorites as well as the new characters being used.