News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Season 19

Started by TrainFan2020, April 02, 2015, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeganekkoFury1126

TREVOR!!!!

Well, I guess it was only a matter of time we'll see him again, since his CG render was done by Nitrogen - albeit for a very brief cameo.

But I really hope they use him for speaking roles now!

Chaz

Glad to see Trevor being brought back, well besides the intro and season 15 cameo.  It'd be interesting to see if they would develop him further, or at the very least speak, but we'll see.

The clip seems interesting, can't wait to see how the other episodes next month will turn out.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Metal

OK now on my thoughts' on S19 Christmas

'Diesel's Ghostly Christmas' is how to start off S19 Christmas, Well from my first impression I've thought Diesel was gonna was gonna have a nightmare and be visited by spirits of scrapped engines. But it doesn't mean it's bad. I actually had a laugh at the engines disguised as Ghosts, especially Paxton, he won me over in this ep, and I loved his 4th wall moment. :D There was a flashback of "Diesel Does it Again." Quite a surprise, but kinda nice to see Whiff again. Also it's great to see Emily pull one of her signature coaches again.
Paxton was the highlight.

'Snow Place like Home' Out of the CGI NG characters, Victor is my favorite out of all of them, and I'm liking how he's and Kevin are like Father and Son. I actually thought Kevin's potrayal in this ep was kinda cute. I've thought Victor's portrayal was great. He hates the snow, but puts on a snowplow and goes out to searching for Kevin when he goes missing. Victor was given great character development.

'The Beast of Sodor' Even though Henry is portrayed as his cowardly persona, I do like the character development that was given to him. Even though Henry may not actually have a definitive character. I've usually seen Henry's character as cynical and sarcastic, but hardworking and somewhat sentimental. However I really think they need to tone down the STH/TFC humor, especially the slapstick, I feel that it's overstaying its welcome.

I didn't think 'A Cranky Christmas' was a bad episode but it's pretty dull tbh. I do like Salty singing Christmas songs and him with decorations, and some of the TAB soundtrack bits, but I don't find the ep inself engaging.

Metal

More S19 on the way

Start Your Engines Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMlaz_bqoRg&feature=youtu.be

It looks exciting!!!

Please give your thoughts

MeganekkoFury1126

I'm detecting a pattern here...since season 17, we get a new character after about halfway through the season who gets to have a couple of episodes to star in himself.

Season 17 - Porter
Season 18 - Samson
Season 19- Phillip

Adding to that, I'm very excited about the new DVD. Connor and Caitlin are still some of my favorite Brenner characters, so glad to see they'll have an episode, and sharing it with Emily. Stephen as well, and we'll see if Phillip is even more unique than Porter or Samson. :)

MeganekkoFury1126

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4dFllCdoSQ

We got another season 19 clip out in the open, in preparation for the new Start Your Engines DVD!

This episode looks really interesting. It's almost like a complete turn around of season 10's Thomas and the Colors, and with some improvement already being sensed! Considering James' episodes usually turn out to be really good since season 17, I'm looking forward to seeing how this will turn out. :)

Metal

Kinda surprised, no one brought back this thread. Perhaps it doesn't hurt to do so. Considering how slow and muddled S19 airings have been. Strangely, Japan has been airing new episodes, but in English. ???

Channel Links;
https://www.youtube.com/user/kaitolovethomas/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuck4VsxQanq3yTUHHbAfBA/videos

Please discuss your thoughts.

MeganekkoFury1126

I'm not sure what in the world is wrong with season 19's broadcast. You'd think most of it would've been evenly released before this month.

Helping Hiro
This one is an alright episode. Not great, but good. I did like the flashback to Hero of the Rails and it's kind of cute to see Thomas look up to Hiro like he's his idol. Hiro's derailment was excellently done, though I don't know why anyone thought that Hiro could just brush it off and get back to work. I'm a little confused about the dialogue in this episode, too. Like why would Hiro not know why he's called the Master of the Railway, when Thomas asks him. It also bugs me when Thomas has his accident, too, that his driver and fireman just stay with him and don't go for help or something. Though it is nice that the loose ends about Hiro needing spare parts or not was tied up. Not a season 19 highlight exactly, but not bad per say. 6/10

Reds Vs. Blues
I thought this would be much like season 10's Thomas and the Colors, but I think I like this one better, albeit not by much. This episode did have a good setup, with Thomas and Edward getting more appreciation than James because of their colors. It was also amusing having Sir Topham Hatt as the referee, and seeing the opposing team root for James because of his color made things interesting. Though, I honestly felt that this episode would've been better with Edward in Thomas' place, and it was mostly predictable plot wise and in its execution. There's not much particularly remarkable about it, except for Percy referencing the show's narrator with the quote "And then there was trouble!" It is one of those more simplistic slice of life episodes that also teaches a little more about British football regulations. 7/10

Two Wheels Good
This episode definitely reminded me of Lady Hatt's Birthday Party from season 5. While I don't like this one as much as the former, it's still a very good episode. I particularly love how much human interaction was written, especially the Thin Controller and his love for bicycles. That's actually very amusing! I also liked how the Duke and Duchess got to have their different personalities on display. Who would've thought the Duke would throw so many petty tantrums like that? Not to mention I look forward to more roadway associated episodes like this. It was also a treat to see Lord Callan come back after a 12 year absence. I kind of wish though that Bertie would get a rest from getting the short end of the stick, I will say. It seems like he usually does these days. Like I said, the plot is something I've seen before, but it's done with enough uniqueness to make it stand out enough on its own. 8/10

Slow Stephen
Now, this is going to be a definite favorite for me this season, and is a good example of why Stephen is one of my favorite of the Brenner characters. Even though I'm one of the few people who don't hate The Afternoon Tea Express from season 17, this episode is a lot better. It's much better at telling the moral that being slow can be a good thing. The build up to the climax was superbly done, and was actually quite tense. It's been awhile since I've seen a Thomas episode get this suspenseful. The collapsing of the suspension bridge was incredibly executed, the way shots were angled, and the music coupled with it - absolutely epic. There's also a slight nod to season 2's Better Late Than Never, which was actually quite subtle. 10/10

Best Engine Ever
Emily seems to be getting some really good roles in episodes since season 17. This one is no exception. I've grown very fond of both Connor and Caitlin, and seeing the latter get some more depth was very welcome. I had a feeling I was going to love this episode when it was announced, and it did not disappoint. It was so great to see many of the females of Sodor put together. The moral was just right for Emily, and I appreciate how nicely the episode was written to start and setup the plot evenly. Putting Marion in was a nice treat, and it's like I said about putting a good amount of female characters in one episode - it's pretty rare in the Thomas realm. The climax though was extremely well done with Emily slowing down Caitlin from the front, and it reminded of something that was actually done in real life! Albeit with 18 wheeler trucks and not trains, but it was so action packed it kept me well entertained. Though that streamlined Emily was made into a wooden toy for a 3 second shot? Seems kinda ridiculous really...Oh yeah, I also loved Connor's little "Afternoon ladies!" with his little wink - who knew he was such a ladies' man? I really hope we get another episode like this soon. 10/10

The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead
I'm not exactly sure what to feel about Phillip so far. He didn't exactly warm up to me as well as Porter or even Samson. I think he may be a little too confident and bubbly to be admired, albeit it is kinda cute. However, I will say his design is great, and actually is one of the American prototypes to fit into Sodor's loading gauge. I also like how they refer to his basis as a box-cab, just like how us Americans would reference him. It was a nice break that they didn't start the episode with exposition about new engines coming, and just got straight to the plot. If I must be fair, this was like a shorter version of the Adventure Begins, and Phillip seems to have taken the new place as the most junior engine on the railway. Though something I will criticize is that the writers should make Gordon a little bit more compassionate. Since season 17, they've got his pompous attitude down right which is just fine for me, but they've kind of been ignoring the other side of him, and this episode kinda shows it, too. The episode would've been a lot better if that was done. So, not a great episode, but a decent one in my opinion. 7/10

Phillip to the Rescue

A bit of improvement over the previous episode. Just like with Samson last season, it's great to see the continuity with Phillip's past events already. It was also nicely done with Phillip playing off of James. I guess it was only a matter of time until James got a taste of his own medicine. Now it may be not as good as last season with Duck, but still pretty good. Though the ending scene might be a little unpleasant of Phillip not quite taking Edward's words wisely, he is more admirable in this episode, and I guess he'll develop into being less confident as time goes on. The little nod to the Adventure Begins by Edward was great, and it also shows how much Thomas himself has grown since he first arrived. I'm also happy to see much longer train consists being used. It makes the trains look much more realistic. James' derailment was extremely well done, with him smashing into the rock bridge sides. I've never seen a crash like that before in the series. Most of the time, the train hits some flimsy wood plank or something. Which brings me to something else well done - when there is a serious wreck, the engines actually show the scars of battle. If this was done 3 or more years ago, they wouldn't have one paint scratch! 8/10

sean1994rail

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on December 16, 2015, 08:39:49 PM
I'm not sure what in the world is wrong with season 19's broadcast. You'd think most of it would've been evenly released before this month.

Helping Hiro
This one is an alright episode. Not great, but good. I did like the flashback to Hero of the Rails and it's kind of cute to see Thomas look up to Hiro like he's his idol. Hiro's derailment was excellently done, though I don't know why anyone thought that Hiro could just brush it off and get back to work. I'm a little confused about the dialogue in this episode, too. Like why would Hiro not know why he's called the Master of the Railway, when Thomas asks him. It also bugs me when Thomas has his accident, too, that his driver and fireman just stay with him and don't go for help or something. Though it is nice that the loose ends about Hiro needing spare parts or not was tied up. Not a season 19 highlight exactly, but not bad per say. 6/10

Reds Vs. Blues
I thought this would be much like season 10's Thomas and the Colors, but I think I like this one better, albeit not by much. This episode did have a good setup, with Thomas and Edward getting more appreciation than James because of their colors. It was also amusing having Sir Topham Hatt as the referee, and seeing the opposing team root for James because of his color made things interesting. Though, I honestly felt that this episode would've been better with Edward in Thomas' place, and it was mostly predictable plot wise and in its execution. There's not much particularly remarkable about it, except for Percy referencing the show's narrator with the quote "And then there was trouble!" It is one of those more simplistic slice of life episodes that also teaches a little more about British football regulations. 7/10

Two Wheels Good
This episode definitely reminded me of Lady Hatt's Birthday Party from season 5. While I don't like this one as much as the former, it's still a very good episode. I particularly love how much human interaction was written, especially the Thin Controller and his love for bicycles. That's actually very amusing! I also liked how the Duke and Duchess got to have their different personalities on display. Who would've thought the Duke would throw so many petty tantrums like that? Not to mention I look forward to more roadway associated episodes like this. It was also a treat to see Lord Callan come back after a 12 year absence. I kind of wish though that Bertie would get a rest from getting the short end of the stick, I will say. It seems like he usually does these days. Like I said, the plot is something I've seen before, but it's done with enough uniqueness to make it stand out enough on its own. 8/10

Slow Stephen
Now, this is going to be a definite favorite for me this season, and is a good example of why Stephen is one of my favorite of the Brenner characters. Even though I'm one of the few people who don't hate The Afternoon Tea Express from season 17, this episode is a lot better. It's much better at telling the moral that being slow can be a good thing. The build up to the climax was superbly done, and was actually quite tense. It's been awhile since I've seen a Thomas episode get this suspenseful. The collapsing of the suspension bridge was incredibly executed, the way shots were angled, and the music coupled with it - absolutely epic. There's also a slight nod to season 2's Better Late Than Never, which was actually quite subtle. 10/10

Best Engine Ever
Emily seems to be getting some really good roles in episodes since season 17. This one is no exception. I've grown very fond of both Connor and Caitlin, and seeing the latter get some more depth was very welcome. I had a feeling I was going to love this episode when it was announced, and it did not disappoint. It was so great to see many of the females of Sodor put together. The moral was just right for Emily, and I appreciate how nicely the episode was written to start and setup the plot evenly. Putting Marion in was a nice treat, and it's like I said about putting a good amount of female characters in one episode - it's pretty rare in the Thomas realm. The climax though was extremely well done with Emily slowing down Caitlin from the front, and it reminded of something that was actually done in real life! Albeit with 18 wheeler trucks and not trains, but it was so action packed it kept me well entertained. Though that streamlined Emily was made into a wooden toy for a 3 second shot? Seems kinda ridiculous really...Oh yeah, I also loved Connor's little "Afternoon ladies!" with his little wink - who knew he was such a ladies' man? I really hope we get another episode like this soon. 10/10

The Little Engine Who Raced Ahead
I'm not exactly sure what to feel about Phillip so far. He didn't exactly warm up to me as well as Porter or even Samson. I think he may be a little too confident and bubbly to be admired, albeit it is kinda cute. However, I will say his design is great, and actually is one of the American prototypes to fit into Sodor's loading gauge. I also like how they refer to his basis as a box-cab, just like how us Americans would reference him. It was a nice break that they didn't start the episode with exposition about new engines coming, and just got straight to the plot. If I must be fair, this was like a shorter version of the Adventure Begins, and Phillip seems to have taken the new place as the most junior engine on the railway. Though something I will criticize is that the writers should make Gordon a little bit more compassionate. Since season 17, they've got his pompous attitude down right which is just fine for me, but they've kind of been ignoring the other side of him, and this episode kinda shows it, too. The episode would've been a lot better if that was done. So, not a great episode, but a decent one in my opinion. 7/10

Phillip to the Rescue

A bit of improvement over the previous episode. Just like with Samson last season, it's great to see the continuity with Phillip's past events already. It was also nicely done with Phillip playing off of James. I guess it was only a matter of time until James got a taste of his own medicine. Now it may be not as good as last season with Duck, but still pretty good. Though the ending scene might be a little unpleasant of Phillip not quite taking Edward's words wisely, he is more admirable in this episode, and I guess he'll develop into being less confident as time goes on. The little nod to the Adventure Begins by Edward was great, and it also shows how much Thomas himself has grown since he first arrived. I'm also happy to see much longer train consists being used. It makes the trains look much more realistic. James' derailment was extremely well done, with him smashing into the rock bridge sides. I've never seen a crash like that before in the series. Most of the time, the train hits some flimsy wood plank or something. Which brings me to something else well done - when there is a serious wreck, the engines actually show the scars of battle. If this was done 3 or more years ago, they wouldn't have one paint scratch! 8/10
i thought your suggestion about Edward doing Thomas' role might make him out of character unless he does Percy's short role or act as the wise steady engine. Also, inspired by his track master model, I hope there is a midquel episode for Philip to the rescue where Philip who takes empty trucks to the quarry, which will be the blue mountain quarry like one of the wagons his track master model, where he learns his limitations when taking the now fully loaded slate trucks.

MeganekkoFury1126

What I mean by that is to make the episode to fit Edward and James, not just throw him in and expect it to be appropriate. The reason I said that is because it not only would've been a perfect opportunity to make a homage episode to Old Iron, but also not have an episode where Thomas has to be in a spotlight for a change. As much as I like this season and the past two, they still need to cut down how much they throw Thomas in.

Metal

A little late, but hey.....
I often enjoy discussions over the TV Series

Helping Hiro was pretty dull, the crash and damage done to Hiro was great. Though the thing that gets to me was the Master of the Railway dialogue and Hiro not knowing why. But the reflection off Hiro's livery really shows how Arc has improved in their lighting.
Percy's 4th Wall, need I say more?? :D
I've wondered on how they would utilized Stephen outside of Ulfstad Castle, but this ep felt like an improved squeal to the Afternoon Tea Express.
I think my favorite out of the batch would have to be "Best Engines Ever." Connor/Caitlin always get the fast paced often exciting episodes. I do like how this ep focuses specifically on female characters without feeling like it had to aimed at the girl audience. Funny how the ep was implying girl troubles, though. :P And yes Connor's line. ::)

Philip
I'm not sure what to say about Philip as a character. His design though I thought it was German at first. I can't say whether I say that Philip is endearing or annoying.  ???

JLK2707

Does Gordon hate Philip or just dislike him greatly?

MeganekkoFury1126

Huh, we got more season 19 to talk about!

The Other Side of the Mountain
First off, very happy Bertie's classic theme made a return. This must be the season to get back into the old music. Second, I'm glad that this episode on Thomas and Bertie where it didn't involve them racing. It did feel like an episode that came out of season 2 or 3. It does keep the person viewing wondering if Bertie was telling the truth or not about what is on the other side. It's also pretty naturally handled how Thomas gets more and more curious, and more and more frustrated. The big derailment was a little over the top, but it did serve its purpose for the story. Still enjoy how the engines show damage after these big wrecks. I like that Butch was utilized for the story. This episode is a good example of how the writers can nicely handle road characters as well as rail ones. Though, the fantasy ending feels a little pointless. It's just kind of there. It's a little funny, though, I'll give it that. 8/10

Thomas the Babysitter
I noticed that pretty much the whole episode occurred in the same day. In fact, maybe a couple hours. Been awhile since that happened. I did enjoy the 90's style montage of Thomas going through the hours of his run enduring the baby's crying. Also been awhile since Maithwaite appeared in Arc's animation, not to mention the classic waterwheel. I also like that Annie and Clarabel prevented the episode from going down a familiar bad plotline, and Thomas came to his senses very quickly. The ending is the strongest point in the episode. The music which feels a bit like Blue Grass infant music, the comedy of torturing Annie and Clarabel with more baby riding, and the human interaction of the workman Albert and his family. Somehow I imagine that's how my parents gave me my name. The only thing I found odd was why the mother and baby get back on after Thomas turns around. It really doesn't give an explanation. Other than that, this is still a great episode. 9/10

No Help at All
Well, we have this season's Bill and Ben episode, and it also has Marion and Timothy. Guess it's getting in the swing of one episode for each of the "supporting groups" on Sodor, much like the classic seasons. I was a little worried this would be like Timothy and the Rainbow Truck, which happens to be my least favorite episode of season 18, but I was fortunately wrong. I love that they went back to focusing on Timothy's straight laced trait. It is arguably his most distinctive quality. Sort of like the Josh to Bill and Ben's Drake. Bill and Ben are just as obnoxious and entertaining as ever. I was very pleased to see Porter get a good role, too, let alone see him and Timothy work together. I think this is the first time a classic song has been utilized in a regular episode, and I loved it. It helped Down by the Docks is one of my favorite songs. Not to mention a little nod to We Make a Team Together. If you also listen carefully, this episode pretty much takes place at the same time as Emily's repairs in Best Engine Ever, Mavis' in Den and Dart, and Salty's trip in Salty All at Sea. Glad to see the writers are very consistent with continuity. Plus, for once, Sir Topham Hatt is played seriously this episode, instead of a butt monkey. I can't really point out any flaws really, except maybe Bill and Ben repeatedly bumping into the lines of trucks. It does feel a bit...odd. Nonetheless, this is going to be another favorite this season. 9.5/10

Jacob Wilson

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on January 21, 2016, 12:01:45 PM
Huh, we got more season 19 to talk about!

The Other Side of the Mountain
First off, very happy Bertie's classic theme made a return. This must be the season to get back into the old music. Second, I'm glad that this episode on Thomas and Bertie where it didn't involve them racing. It did feel like an episode that came out of season 2 or 3. It does keep the person viewing wondering if Bertie was telling the truth or not about what is on the other side. It's also pretty naturally handled how Thomas gets more and more curious, and more and more frustrated. The big derailment was a little over the top, but it did serve its purpose for the story. Still enjoy how the engines show damage after these big wrecks. I like that Butch was utilized for the story. This episode is a good example of how the writers can nicely handle road characters as well as rail ones. Though, the fantasy ending feels a little pointless. It's just kind of there. It's a little funny, though, I'll give it that. 8/10

Thomas the Babysitter
I noticed that pretty much the whole episode occurred in the same day. In fact, maybe a couple hours. Been awhile since that happened. I did enjoy the 90's style montage of Thomas going through the hours of his run enduring the baby's crying. Also been awhile since Maithwaite appeared in Arc's animation, not to mention the classic waterwheel. I also like that Annie and Clarabel prevented the episode from going down a familiar bad plotline, and Thomas came to his senses very quickly. The ending is the strongest point in the episode. The music which feels a bit like Blue Grass infant music, the comedy of torturing Annie and Clarabel with more baby riding, and the human interaction of the workman Albert and his family. Somehow I imagine that's how my parents gave me my name. The only thing I found odd was why the mother and baby get back on after Thomas turns around. It really doesn't give an explanation. Other than that, this is still a great episode. 9/10

No Help at All
Well, we have this season's Bill and Ben episode, and it also has Marion and Timothy. Guess it's getting in the swing of one episode for each of the "supporting groups" on Sodor, much like the classic seasons. I was a little worried this would be like Timothy and the Rainbow Truck, which happens to be my least favorite episode of season 18, but I was fortunately wrong. I love that they went back to focusing on Timothy's straight laced trait. It is arguably his most distinctive quality. Sort of like the Josh to Bill and Ben's Drake. Bill and Ben are just as obnoxious and entertaining as ever. I was very pleased to see Porter get a good role, too, let alone see him and Timothy work together. I think this is the first time a classic song has been utilized in a regular episode, and I loved it. It helped Down by the Docks is one of my favorite songs. Not to mention a little nod to We Make a Team Together. If you also listen carefully, this episode pretty much takes place at the same time as Emily's repairs in Best Engine Ever, Mavis' in Den and Dart, and Salty's trip in Salty All at Sea. Glad to see the writers are very consistent with continuity. Plus, for once, Sir Topham Hatt is played seriously this episode, instead of a butt monkey. I can't really point out any flaws really, except maybe Bill and Ben repeatedly bumping into the lines of trucks. It does feel a bit...odd. Nonetheless, this is going to be another favorite this season. 9.5/10

Are 'The Other Side of the Mountain', Thomas and the Babysitter' and 'No Help at All' Episode titles from Series 19?

MeganekkoFury1126

Yes, Jacob, hence why they're in this topic: Season 19.

They're online now.