News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin 4-6-0 Bash #2 - Suggestions?

Started by jviss, April 03, 2015, 09:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jviss

Greetings,

So, I have but one type of locomotive on my railroad, the BBH Baldwin 4-6-0.  As some may recall I purchased two complete anniversary dummy units, in White Pass and Yukon livery.  I'm converting one now to DCC, adding a purchased anniversary chassis, and so on.

I'm thinking I'd like to do a radical bash on the second unit, converting it into a different type - number of drivers, pilots, etc.  Any and all suggestions are welcome! 

Thanks,

jv
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Kevin Strong

Unfortunately, "radical bash" and "4-6-0 chassis" don't go together very well. While it might seem so at first, the 4-6-0 chassis does not lend itself to being cut up and re-arranged. The firebox area has a lot of bracing that holds the motor and gearbox in place, so if you want to do something where the firebox is behind the drivers such as a 2-6-2, you're going to end up removing a lot of what's holding the motor in place. The valve gear hangers don't really shift positions too easily.

I currently am working on a 2-6-2 conversion using the 4-6-0 chassis, and it's only through pure stubbornness that I haven't shelved the notion of using that chassis and designed a custom chassis instead. I cut a ton of material away, and have had to add lots of strengthening pieces along the way as well. I've still got to design the back end of the frame where it will support the firebox. That's all going to have to be fabricated new.

Far be it for me to dissuade you from having a go, mind you, but just know it's not going to be a cakewalk.

Later,

K

jviss

Thanks Kevin.  Good luck on your 2-6-2!  I confess you have sobered me up, somewhat, from my drunken enthusiasm for this locomotive and its bashing possibilities. 

Maybe just biting the bullet and fabricating a frame from the outset is the best approach. 

I still have no idea what to model.  I am leafing through White's Early American Locomotives for inspiration. 

I'm thinking a switch would be really handy, and fun.
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

bob kaplan

Kevin,
Are you going for the EBT 11 with the 2-6-2?   When you built the 2-8-0, shortly after that, Bachmann released their C-19; which from what I understand, is the same engine as the EBT 2-8-0 that you scratched built.  Thus, other than the satisfaction thing (which must be immense! along with your beautiful engine)...you spent a lot of time where is really was not necessary to obtain that model.
  Any  ways.....I am hoping that it is the EBT number 11......so Bachmann will release it so that untalented, lazy, and ill-equipped modelers such as I can have one.      ;)

Kevin Strong

Yeah, I'm still not happy with Bachmann about the timing of them announcing the C-19. After that, I sent them a list of all the projects I have on the drawing board, in hopes that next time they can at least announce them earlier and save me a ton of trouble. ;) EBT #11 is on that list.

My original idea was to use a B'mann 4-6-0 chassis as the starting point for an EBT #11. The driver spacing is almost perfect, and the valve gear, including the hangers, is close enough to where I wouldn't worry about minor differences. That project's been stalled while I try to source proper 48" drivers. In the mean time, I've been flirting with this 2-6-2:

My first thought was to use the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 chassis as a starting point, but while the cylinders and valve gear are pretty much spot on, the driver spacing was too compressed compared to the prototype, and the resulting mock-up I built just looked bad. Then I acquired a boiler and cab from a "Connie," and had this 4-6-0 chassis sitting around. I figured that'd give me a chance to see what it would take to make a 2-6-2 chassis for my #11 project whenever I get proper drivers. Suffice to say when it comes to #11, I'll be able to use the motor and gearbox from the 4-6-0 as well as all the valve gear. I'll be making my own custom frames.

That is, unless Bachmann makes one first.  :)

(Not that I'm dropping hints or anything... I would never do that.)

M-1

Wait! How did that get in my post?  ;D

Later,

K

bob kaplan

hummmmmmmm....i hope i don't divert this thread too much....but:  M-1....#11, both wonderful, one of a kind prototypes...i'd prefer the #11 i think...i will look forward to seeing pictures of your work.....there!!....is that enough of a shove to get you going?? ;D