Can't Get My Decoder to Change Address

Started by Ckrails, April 05, 2015, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ckrails

Happy Easter all!  Just got a new EZ Command system and a second hand Spectrum 70 Tonner with a factory installed Kader decoder. I don't know what the previous address was for this locomotive, so I am following the directions for setting a new address when the prior one was >10.  Unfortunately this does not work and the locomotive just whines loudly (no sound decoder installed).  The loco does continue to run with address 10 (as DC).  Recommendations?

Jerrys HO

Since you are using the EZ Command, the way to reset an unknown address per Bachmann is to have all loco's off the track even the one you are programming. Set the EZ Command in programming mode and then put the loco on the track and press the address you wish it to be.

From pg.3 in the manual.......

You can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3. If
the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we've just described to assign a new address to a
locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive's original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming
procedure.
However, if the locomotive's digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the
"Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address" section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and holding
down the number 3 button and the "Stop" button. At this point, you're ready to assign a new digital address to the locomotive.
Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command button (1 to 9). The
locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the "Stop" button to
exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.

Ckrails

Thank you for your reply.  I followed those instructions but without success.  I also watched the online instructional video as well to be sure I was doing it correctly. After I completed the programming steps, my unit makes several different sounds that may be akin to the jerky movement demonstrated in the video when reprogramming is successful, but no movement occurs with my unit and the loco does not respond to the speed control knob.

Has anyone had a similar issue and determined the cause and/or resolve it successfully?

Jerrys HO

If you hear the motor running and you have slight movement I am going to assume a cracked gear is the problem which is a known problem with these units.

Ckrails

Thank you Jerry, but I believe this strictly is a decoder issue, the unit operates well under DC power.

Alas, If only I had another decoder-equipped unit to confirm the controller was working.

jward

if the whine you are hearing when it sits idle lessens when you run the locomotive, then there is no decoder installed. the whine is the normal sound of a dc locomotive sitting on dcc powered track. a decoder would intercept the dcc before it got io the motor, and eliminate the noise.  are you absolutely sure there is a decoder in this locomotive?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ckrails

Perhaps the board isn't a decoder,  but merely something that controls lighting, etc. So much to learn!

Thanks!

Bucksco

If it is a Bachmann loco that has a factory equipped decoder it will have a white "DCC on Board" logo stamped on the bottom of it. jward is correct - the whine is indicative of a DC loco that is sitting on a DCC signaled track.

StanAmes

Quote from: Ckrails on April 05, 2015, 08:37:11 AM
Happy Easter all!  Just got a new EZ Command system and a second hand Spectrum 70 Tonner with a factory installed Kader decoder. I don't know what the previous address was for this locomotive, so I am following the directions for setting a new address when the prior one was >10.  Unfortunately this does not work and the locomotive just whines loudly (no sound decoder installed).  The loco does continue to run with address 10 (as DC).  Recommendations?

If you put the locomotive on a DCC track and it whines it does not have a decoder.  If it is operating at the DC address that also implies there is no decoder in the locomotive.

Hope that helps

Stan

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jward on April 05, 2015, 12:36:26 PM
if the whine you are hearing when it sits idle lessens when you run the locomotive, then there is no decoder installed. the whine is the normal sound of a dc locomotive sitting on dcc powered track. a decoder would intercept the dcc before it got io the motor, and eliminate the noise.  are you absolutely sure there is a decoder in this locomotive?

Wow Jeff and Yardmaster, forgot all about that it may not have a decoder. Should have caught it when CKrails stated ran fine on DC.

Edited as I was informed the Yardmaster does not like to be called Yardy ;).

Ckrails

Thanks folks, now I have a good excuse to spring for a sound decoder :-)