News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question from a new guy

Started by tfowen, February 14, 2007, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfowen

I'm new to G scale RRing. I have had for many years a 4-6-0 Annie for the Christmas tree, but when the grandson came along I bought the 10th anv. edition of the Annie, aristo craft track ect. in order to start construction of a garden RR this spring (we live in GA and spring starts early). I chose Bachmann Locos and rolling stock based on price, quality, and warranty.
My problem#1  is that I sent my older loco in for warranty work in Jan, I have emailed them asking if it was received....no reply; I have tried to call on many occasions can not get a human on the line. #2 is when I bought the new Annie, there were no instructions enclosed, the warranty states that I must maintain and lube as per the instructions for the warranty to be valid. Once again I emailed Bachmann asking for lube instructions and no reply, going to the dealer is not an option because of the distances involved.
Is this normal operating procedure for Bachmann, or should I assume my package did not arrive, and that emails are just not answered promptly?
Can anyone with similiar experiences shed some light on this for me? :-\

SteamGene

Like several other companies, Bachmann has e-mail but doesn't use it to advantage.  Sort of  like my use of voice mail.  :(  Your best bet is to use your own dime and call them.  I've found that this always works very well and worth the rather insignificant cost.  Bachmann service is very good; it's the coupling that is the hard part.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear TF,
Gene is correct- a phone call is always the best way to go.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

tom11

Dear  tfowen,

You are going thru  the " Bachmann Experience".

1) Your e mails will go unanswered.
2) Phone messages you leave will never be returned
2)You will be told you are lucky if you actually get a human to answer the phone.

I have left phone messages, (Unanswered) emails (Unanswered) and have even sent in an engine for Warranty repair in December' 06. I think they got it! Maybe I'll get it back this year! Last person I got on the phone was in June 2006 - SOMEONE PICKED IT UP BECAUSE I LET IT KEEP RINGING.

While I like Bachmann trains and will continue to own Bachmann trains- I don't hold my breathe when it comes to getting anything close to  customer service from them.

I once sent them a letter suggesting they have a suggestion box and send out surveys to their customers ( they have our addresses when we send in the Warranty Cards) I know they got the letter since I sent it RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. I did this to see if they actually get their mail.

As for Mr. Bach-MANN, he  SHOULD try getting some customer service for his own trains before he gives any advice.

SteamGene

Tom,
Bachmann has several numbers.  Use your own nickle and the phone gets answered by the second ring and you get results.   Doesn't cost much, even for a poor, retired school teacher.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

tom11

O.K. STEAM GENE

here are the Bachmann numbers
Service 1-800 356-3910
fax-215-744-4699
service@bachmanntrains.com

POST ALL THE NUMBERS YOU SAY WORK ,SO WE ALL CAN USE THEM.

ddellacca

Tom,

Use your own nickle and call 215-533-1600, then ask for Bridgit or service.

This one will work every time during business hours.

Dick

tom11

GEE- Thanks Dick !

Mr. BACHMANN should have told all of us that the service phone number listed in the catalog is wrong.
I now know, from you, that everyone should call the main sales office in Philadelphia for service instead.
I'll call Bridgit and tell her to correct the service number printed in the Bachmann catalog. Maybe if we all call Bridgit, the BACHMANN company will
somehow realize that no one is answering the phone in their service dept.

I'll add this to  the" Bachmann Experience "list.

THANKS FOR PROVING MY POINT!

tom11

Dear tfowen,

Following up on the service of your train. I sent my engine to Bachmann BACK in DEC '2006.

I called the sales office in Philadelphia to complain about their lousy telephone system - They forwarded me to ext 17- some guy in parts- he went and found out that they have NOT yet unpacked my box sent to them in December. When "the girl" unpacks the package container she gives each package a referral number. She hasn't numbered December's repair work yet. It's a good assumption that since you sent your engine for repair in January that it's still in a large package container on their loading dock.
Bachmann refused to tell me what their turnaround time on openning packages was. So you can image how long the repair will take depending on what your engine needs.

Add - turnaround time to the list on the " BACHMANN EXPERIENCE"

By the way - I was put on hold for 6 minutes !

bevernie

WOW!!   i must be a lucky guy!! Upon sending several trains (3) to BACHMANN, they recieved them (shotly) and called to remind me that I had not sent the required $10-per-train (diesel).  Upon doing so, I was told that they were not repairable, so they would replace them. That being said, I asked if I could change the road names. The only problem encountered was that the lady had to go and check to see what road names were available, but that took only a few minutes! A few days later, my NEW trains arrived! - NEW BOXES AND ALL!! WOW!! ... And this was all accomplished on THEIR "800 NUMBER"!!      WOW!!!!    ;-))
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

tom11

BEVERNIE

WOW! WE'RE ALL SPEECHLESS! YOU ARE ONE LUCKY GUY!

Sounds like when it means they can make $30 instead of giving the free warranty repairs- YOU GET A PHONE CALL AND NEW CHEAP BOXES!
Miracles still happen!

SteamGene

By and large, Bachmann replaces and doesn't repair.  Within the first year they do this for free.  Charges come only after a year.  Bachmann has its flaws, but it is still a much better product than in the past at much better prices than many other importers. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

GlennW

It appears it would be worth it to go to UPS, USPS & use their package tracking system. I've used it to try to be home when expecting a package to arrive. The online section will tell you if the item gets shipped to Memphis or wherever on it's way to Nashville. At least you'd get an idea of the 4 business days of transit time. I've seen the site updated in seconds when I'm home to sign for the package. UPS has some neat technology.

Looking at the UPS website, they do offer free POD notification if you can track the package online. They also offer a Delivery Confirmation letter for $1.25. Depending on the value of the item, it may be smart for consumers to take advantage of these services!

carla

Quote from: tom11 on February 15, 2007, 11:38:39 AM
Dear  tfowen,

You are going thru  the " Bachmann Experience".

1) Your e mails will go unanswered.
2) Phone messages you leave will never be returned
2)You will be told you are lucky if you actually get a human to answer the phone.

I have left phone messages, (Unanswered) emails (Unanswered) and have even sent in an engine for Warranty repair in December' 06. I think they got it! Maybe I'll get it back this year! Last person I got on the phone was in June 2006 - SOMEONE PICKED IT UP BECAUSE I LET IT KEEP RINGING.

While I like Bachmann trains and will continue to own Bachmann trains- I don't hold my breathe when it comes to getting anything close to  customer service from them.

I once sent them a letter suggesting they have a suggestion box and send out surveys to their customers ( they have our addresses when we send in the Warranty Cards) I know they got the letter since I sent it RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. I did this to see if they actually get their mail.

As for Mr. Bach-MANN, he  SHOULD try getting some customer service for his own trains before he gives any advice.

I tried too- I needed to know if future N scale train sets will have the old couplers- otherwise I won't buy anymore since My son won't be able to combine new and old trains and not be able to play with them.

Wesley

I e-mailed and called the 800 number. I then called the 215 number and get the " dial 1 if you want the service dept"  auto response. Left a message on SERVICE MANAGER's answering machine.

All I want ,is to find out about my engine that I sent  in for repair. It's been 8 weeks now, so I don't think I'm overreacting.

If they know this is a busy time of year - you would think they would hire more help or tell us on the phone system that the lead time is ___X__ days at this time of year to return an engine!

Maybe this would keep customers from recalling to find out the staus of a repair.

TOM 11 is right about th turnaround time and the " Bachmann Experience" !!