News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question from a new guy

Started by tfowen, February 14, 2007, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesley

I have N sale trains and find the parts dept. to lack an understanding as to what we all are trying to do with the new n scale  knuckle couplers.

I SUGGEST THEY BE BROUGHT UP TO DATE ON THE KNUCKLE COUPLERS AND REQUESTS FOR COUPLER PARTS SUCH AS SPRINGS.

Stephen Warrington

I think the best bet would be to get a Walthers 2007 N&Z reference book. I have one for HO and its wonderful on listing many different products from couplers even lists old horn hook in HO to Kadee and other types.

Last May I had to send in my 4-8-2 heavy mountain for repair and recieved a new one instead in about 3 weeks.

I got several LS locomotives that need repair including a 45 tonner and shay but I think I will wait until my health and eye sight improves before I try and repair them myself.

Stephen

henry

Stephen

As I see it , Both Wesley and JohnK are N scale users.
Bachmann doesn't make a SHAY in n scale.
Wesley can't get springs from Bachmann.
Your HO service appears to be better than their N scale service

Also, I have not found N scale coupler springs in the WALTERS CATALOG

Stephen Warrington

Hi Henry,

I don't model in N scale,I do model in HO and Large Scale as I said when I mentioned doing my own repair work in that scale. and getting repair parts for LS models from Bachmann can be just as hard as you and others trying to get N scale parts.

Why not try HO scale knuckle springs like those used by Kadee when I belonged to the local RR club the N scalers were always coming over wanting to know if we had any spare knuckle springs to repair their centering springs on the Rapidiotype couplers before they swapped over to knuckle style couplers. I did not know that the springs were not in the Walthers REFERANCE BOOK and not the sales flyers you get each month.

Glad I sold off all my N scale back in the early90's when the LS bug bit me.

Stephen

brian

Stephen-

I too run N scale-

What you're seeing here is a frustration on the part of n scalers with Bachmann.

Whereas  parts seem to be more easily available in larger scales- the n scale parts - some being so small - leaves the guys wonderting where to find them.
Lots of the bigger train parts can be modified from general haredware , screws, fasteners - but size ,kind of cripples the n scale guys - it's miniture  everything from screws to springs - even decals are a pain!

tom11

Quote from: tom11 on February 16, 2007, 02:27:32 PM
Dear tfowen,

Following up on the service of your train. I sent my engine to Bachmann BACK in DEC '2006.

I called the sales office in Philadelphia to complain about their lousy telephone system - They forwarded me to ext 17- some guy in parts- he went and found out that they have NOT yet unpacked my box sent to them in December. When "the girl" unpacks the package container she gives each package a referral number. She hasn't numbered December's repair work yet. It's a good assumption that since you sent your engine for repair in January that it's still in a large package container on their loading dock.
Bachmann refused to tell me what their turnaround time on openning packages was. So you can image how long the repair will take depending on what your engine needs.

Add - turnaround time to the list on the " BACHMANN EXPERIENCE"

By the way - I was put on hold for 6 minutes !

Update-
Today is March 14-- STILL WAITING FOR MY REPAIRED  N- SCALE ENGINE
SENT - December 14, 2006

larryG

I'm new to this forum, but I too have no patient for bad customer service.

I sent my n- scale engine for repair on JANUARY 3, 2007. Still waiting!

If they replace instead of repair - why would it take so long ?

I mean - you don't open and close the engine- you don't solder or unscrew anything- what gives with the N - scale repairs???

Maybe they should verify that the engine doesn't work and send a coupon to you entitling you to a free replacement from the hobby store instead.

This way - they could hire a 16 year old kid after school  to put your engine on a test track - see it doesn't work and then he sends you a coupon back.

They wouldn't have to hire a trained repair technician and we would get quicker customer service.

You other n- scale guys have expressed good constructive ideas about improving Bachmann's service. I agree that if they hired some of us ,things would definitely improve in the service dept.

jasper

Quote from: brian on February 24, 2007, 06:31:45 PM
I don't understand why we have to call the sales office to get the service dept.
Bachmann should check out the service line if they want there customers to ask questions and inquire about repair status.
I gave up calling the 800 number, all I got was a recording - no one returned my call anyway.

Unfortunately you have to give up service if you want to own Bachmann trains,
CARLA is frustrated with what is going on right now. I have looked at other threads on the forum and see service problems and the new couplers as problems that Bachmann just hasn't comprehended.

tom11- you are correct in questioning what Bachmann is thinking. I like the idea of a customer survey- It's obvious to all reading this forum that service is coming up short again and being non- responsive.

I  received my repaired n scale engine after waiting 3 months.

Based on the cost and quality of Bachmann engines, I feel this is an acceptable turnaround period.
If you want better service you'll have to pay for it in the initial cost of the engine. I for one do not want to pay Bachmann more for a so- so  engine just to get better service to fix the so - so engine.

terry

Quote from: larryG on March 15, 2007, 08:46:33 AM

I mean - you don't open and close the engine- you don't solder or unscrew anything- what gives with the N - scale repairs???

Maybe they should verify that the engine doesn't work and send a coupon to you entitling you to a free replacement from the hobby store instead.

This way - they could hire a 16 year old kid after school  to put your engine on a test track - see it doesn't work and then he sends you a coupon back.

They wouldn't have to hire a trained repair technician and we would get quicker customer service.

You other n- scale guys have expressed good constructive ideas about improving Bachmann's service. I agree that if they hired some of us ,things would definitely improve in the service dept.

I'm now waiting 9 weeks- does anyone know what the average wait time is- to get back a repair???

jasper

Quote from: larryG on March 15, 2007, 08:46:33 AM

Larry G

I like the idea of hiring a kid- I think they have a better idea of what's broken or needs repair than whats going on at Bachmann.

Did you get your repair back that you sent in on 1/3/07 ???

larryG

Jasper- thank's for asking!

No- I have not received my repair back yet.

But look at it this way- When I do get it back- it'll be so old that I can sell it to you as a Bachmann antique train engine!!!!

tom11

Quote from: tom11 on March 14, 2007, 10:35:30 AM
Dear tfowen,

Following up on the service of your train. I sent my engine to Bachmann BACK in DEC '2006.

I called the sales office in Philadelphia to complain about their lousy telephone system - They forwarded me to ext 17- some guy in parts- he went and found out that they have NOT yet unpacked my box sent to them in December. When "the girl" unpacks the package container she gives each package a referral number. She hasn't numbered December's repair work yet. It's a good assumption that since you sent your engine for repair in January that it's still in a large package container on their loading dock.
Bachmann refused to tell me what their turnaround time on openning packages was. So you can image how long the repair will take depending on what your engine needs.

Update-
SENT - December 14, 2006

Update-
Today is April 16---Still waiting

tom11

Quote from: tom11 on April 16, 2007, 10:31:01 AM
Quote from: tom11 on March 14, 2007, 10:35:30 AM
Dear tfowen,

Update-
SENT - December 14, 2006

Update-
Today is April 16---Still waiting

Update- sent e- mail and left phone message- no response
Today is May 1st---Still waiting