looking to install a decoder in an "Annie" 4-6-0

Started by mike schafer, April 04, 2015, 08:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike schafer

I am going to go battery power in a Chassis that I recently purchased. I am not certain what to do with the directional switch. any Ideas I m new to this and need help. Am considering Rail boss because it seems pretty simple.

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike,

I see you have no responses, and I am not sure I can be helpful.  It may be that most of our members are not familiar with Rail boss.  Since you will go battery power, I am assuming you will want to isolate the locomotive motor from the track. I am not familiar with Rail Boss, but you could bypass the directional switch and wire the rail boss directly to the motor.   You could also contact the manufacturer for help. Most manufacturers will try to help you.

This is the best I can offer for now.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

If you just bought the chassis, I don't recall that mine came with a polarity switch. In either case, you're not going to need it. The only wires you're going to be concerned with on the 4-6-0 chassis and a battery conversion are the wires going directly to the motor. Those get wired directly to the output of the RailBoss or whatever control system you're using. The power will come from the battery, so the wires coming up from the track pick-ups can be cut and tossed.

There is a noise suppression board attached to the back of the motor. You can leave that in place or unsolder it and wire the motor directly. I don't know that it makes a whole lot of difference.

Later,

K

jviss

I recently bought two anniversary chassis.  There were polarity switches included in the harness on both, and no noise suppression board.
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Hunt

Two switches -
One the Motor Direction Change Switch and the other is the on/off Smoke Box Switch

Click Here for Wiring PDF

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on April 11, 2015, 05:11:20 PM
Two switches -
One the Motor Direction Change Switch and the other is the on/off Smoke Box Switch

Click Here for Wiring PDF

Overlooked the third switch, which is in the locomotive wiring, the Sound on/off at the rear of the locomotive.