News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

paint color

Started by motorailer, April 13, 2015, 03:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorailer

Hello all
I have six of the cream and orange painted 70 tonners item #60611, I'm getting ready to do some detailing and my question is, what colors did bachmann use also what brand of paint? I would like to make sure the detail parts match the color of the locomotives.
Thanks everyone, Craig

Bucksco

Bachmann colors are custom mixed at the factory so it may be hard finding an exact match in hobby paints.

motorailer

Ok, I get that you don't want to give out the formula but could you at least tell me the brand of paint so I can make sure what I'm using is compatible?
Thank you

Len

Looking at the real locos running through town it's pretty obvious, once they're out of the shop, paint in different areas fades at different rates. The result is uneven coloring around the loco. Throw in some dirt, diesel exhaust soot, and spot touchups on 'dings', and they definately don't look like they just came out of a Bachmann box.

Since Polly-S went away, I've been using ScaleCoat and Tru-Color with pretty good success. If you can't find an exact color, do some mix tests until you get the right shade, making sure to write down the preportions. Then get some empty bottles and mix your own.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Bmannguy on April 14, 2015, 08:43:34 AM
I imagine it is a type of non toxic enamel if it wa painted in a US. Factory due to emission laws.You can find very good water based flat paint at your LHS and get it close and do a light weather to blend since in the. Real world switchers mostly get washed by mother nature rusted ad dusted as well.

Why do so many people think Bachmann's product is manufactured in North America? Most likely it's painted with a fast drying lacquer and all of Bachmann's products are manufactured in China where there are few emission laws.

Unless you are modelling a unit that has been repainted in the past few days, there is going to be some sort of color variation in different panels. It all depends on exposure, the elements, where the panel is located on the loco....etc.

Don't concern yourself with trying to match the paint perfectly. As everyone has said.....get close, then weather to blend the new paint with the old.

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 14, 2015, 01:25:42 PM
Quote from: Bmannguy on April 14, 2015, 08:43:34 AM
I imagine it is a type of non toxic enamel if it wa painted in a US. Factory due to emission laws.You can find very good water based flat paint at your LHS and get it close and do a light weather to blend since in the. Real world switchers mostly get washed by mother nature rusted ad dusted as well.

Why do so many people think Bachmann's product is manufactured in North America? Most likely it's painted with a fast drying lacquer and all of Bachmann's products are manufactured in China where there are few emission laws.

Unless you are modelling a unit that has been repainted in the past few days, there is going to be some sort of color variation in different panels. It all depends on exposure, the elements, where the panel is located on the loco....etc.

Don't concern yourself with trying to match the paint perfectly. As everyone has said.....get close, then weather to blend the new paint with the old.

Sid

What Sid wrote.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

When Floquil printed their booklet (many years ago), they made mention of "pure north light" when mixing for special colour.  The use of this set up will give you a pretty close match.  Keep in mind the variables, even with this environment; such as each individual's visual perception.  To some guys, what I call "strawberry blonde" is actually a red-head...
Rich
SGT C.