News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Very low voulume

Started by dankoesterman, April 08, 2015, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dankoesterman

Hello
I have a Bachmann DD40AX sound value Engine, The issue I have is the sound of the horn and prime movers is very low compared to the bell sound, even after changing the CVs I can't seem to increase the horn or prime mover volume, but I can increase or decrease the bell volume I have tried the master volume CV and the volume does not increase. what if any thing am i missing?

Thanks

bapguy

Soundtraxx horn volume is always low for some reason. What values are you using for the horn and prime mover sounds? CV128 is master, try 180 to 200,cv129 is bell, don't go over 240 or you might get distortion. CV131 is exhaust, try 190 to 230. On all sound CV's the max value is 255. Don't use this as you can blow a speaker. You might want to check both speakers to see if they're OK. Put an OHM meter on the terminals where the wires attach. You should show continuity. If not a speaker is bad.  Joe

Trainman203

Yes, and the problem is the same with the steam decoders.  And some whistles are recorded louder than others.  You need to study the cv list for your decoder and do the following: turn master volume to 255.  Turn the whistle or horn to as loud as it will go without distorting., it will be less.  Then .... You have to start turning everything else down in correct proportion.  You need to hear the horn very loud over chuff or diesel.  Then, the bell needs to be turned down to be heard slightly over the diesel when not at full notch or whatever you call it. It will take some practice to get it right but the basic idea is horn way up, everything else turned down.

dankoesterman

tried every thing suggested, still not any better, except checking speakers, will do that in the next day or two.

Thanks

trainmainbrian

I don't think it has any thing to do with your Engine or Sounds... Some sound Decoders are non-adjustable... For example I have an Engine I will not say Brand or make of decoder it came through with pre-programmed sounds 28 of them to be exact.. I put the engine on my program track on my layout & I can read the decoder it will read back the brand decoder type ECT but I can not change any of the CV values... Some decoder company's will not allow you change CV's or just 1-2 CV's like the Bell sound & main Volume...

It could be how the speaker is mounted inside the shell too...check to see if there are Openings large enough to allow the sound to come out you might need to dremel out bigger openings... I had to do this to one of my DCC sound value Bachmann's UP GP-38-2 #2024 Engine to get the Sound to come out better All's I had to do is dremel out a bigger opening by the Rad Fan on top & I Demel two on both sides of the shell & put a screen there & re-weathered the shell issue fixed lol
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Hunt

Quote from: trainmainbrian on April 09, 2015, 07:18:14 AM

. . . Some sound Decoders are non-adjustable... For example I have an Engine I will not say Brand or make of decoder it came through with pre-programmed sounds 28 of them to be exact.. I put the engine on my program track on my layout & I can read the decoder it will read back the brand decoder type ECT but I can not change any of the CV values... Some decoder company's will not allow you change CV's or just 1-2 CV's like the Bell sound & main Volume...
. . .

A SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM Sound Value type decoder is installed in the Bachmann HO DD40AX.  Nothing in the quote is relevant to that decoder. 

Hunt

dankoesterman,
What is the current CV value for the following CVs?
CV

What did you use to read the CVs?

trainmainbrian

Quote from: Hunt on April 09, 2015, 06:22:18 PM

. . . Some sound Decoders are non-adjustable... For example I have an Engine I will not say Brand or make of decoder it came through with pre-programmed sounds 28 of them to be exact.. I put the engine on my program track on my layout & I can read the decoder it will read back the brand decoder type ECT but I can not change any of the CV values... Some decoder company's will not allow you change CV's or just 1-2 CV's like the Bell sound & main Volume...
. . .

A SoundTraxx Bachmann OEM Sound Value type decoder is installed in the Bachmann HO DD40AX.  Nothing in the quote is relevant to that decoder. 

That's WHY I said SOME Decoders DONT allow you to chance the CV's....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Hunt

An aside,

. . .
I put the engine on my program track on my layout & I can read the decoder it will read back the brand decoder type ECT but I can not change any of the CV values... Some decoder company's will not allow you change CV's or just 1-2 CV's like the Bell sound & main Volume...

trainmainbrian,

I known there are a few decoder CVs such as CV 7 whose value cannot be change by the user. There are decoders that restrict when the value of some CVs can be changed. Specifically what decoder(s) did not allow you to change any CVs value? What equipment and programming mode were you using when you discovered  none of the decoder's CVs value could be changed?

dankoesterman

Hunt

Cv 128       255
CV 129       180
CV 130       100
CV 131       240

NCE Powercab

Tham
nks

Hunt

First reset decoder --  CV 8, enter 8,

Turn off power then after 15 seconds turn power on.

If decoder reset is successful, then program 

CV 128       195
CV 129       225
CV 130         60
CV 131       148

Reduce CV 130 value by increments of 5 if necessary.

The above settings were tested today on a  DD40AX without the need to adjust CV 130 value of 60

MCENTRAL

I don't think it has any thing to do with your Engine or Sounds... Some sound Decoders are non-adjustable... For example I have an Engine I will not say Brand or make of decoder it came through with pre-programmed sounds 28 of them to be exact.. I put the engine on my program track on my layout & I can read the decoder it will read back the brand decoder type ECT but I can not change any of the CV values... Some decoder company's will not allow you change CV's or just 1-2 CV's like the Bell sound & main Volume...

It could be how the speaker is mounted inside the shell too...check to see if there are Openings large enough to allow the sound to come out you might need to dremel out bigger openings... I had to do this to one of my DCC sound value Bachmann's UP GP-38-2 #2024 Engine to get the Sound to come out better All's I had to do is dremel out a bigger opening by the Rad Fan on top & I Demel two on both sides of the shell & put a screen there & re-weathered the shell issue fixed lol.
Wrong!
Pat

MCENTRAL

The dda40x speakers are in the rare case for Soundtraxx sound decoder they are wired in parallel so if you remove the speaker wires from the circuit board and touch each with a ohm meter lead it should read 4 ohms .If it reads 8 ohms the speakers are wired in a series and this is not correct for this model and will cause lower volumes and should be rewired in parallel
Pat

dankoesterman

Hello to all

I tried the cv settings as suggested and it seems to be the same , the horn volume to low, I will check the speaker wiring next.

thanks

trainmainbrian

Quote from: dankoesterman on April 12, 2015, 10:23:06 PM
Hello to all

I tried the cv settings as suggested and it seems to be the same , the horn volume to low, I will check the speaker wiring next.

thanks

I still say it's the way the speakers are mounted to the shell... I would Dremel out a few bigger openings... & you will notice a big difference.... I did it to 2 of my Bachmann Engines & there pretty loud now & I did not Change sound CV's either