News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crown Edition GG1 problem

Started by kountry mailman, April 09, 2015, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kountry mailman

I have an older Williams GG1 powered and dummy with sound.  It will say the start-up sounds and the horn will blow when button pressed, BUT while in motion the horn will start blowing a lot of the time and pressing any button will not make it stop.  You have to kill the power to make it stop and soon after restarting the horn blows again.  I tried cleaning wheels and  power pick-up roller.  Removed shell and can't find anything  loose around the board.  Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated  PRR fan in central PA

Joe Satnik

Dear MM,

Make and model of your transformer, please?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Have you cleaned the track as well?
I had a Williams S-2 Pennsy steam engine and tender do the same thing except I had just a basic transformer, no whistle or bell feature, when it happened. My solution was cleaning the track and wheels of the tender.
Do your GG-1's have a tether between the units? If so you may have to clean the wheels on both powered and unpowered engines.

Lee F.

kountry mailman

My two units are not connected to each other and I am powering them with a MTH 1000 watt transformer on Fas Track.  All other engines work O K, all in conventional mode.  I don't have DCS or TMCC, Thanks for any suggestions,  I think that I have noticed that when the unit runs across an un-coupler track section or an insulated rail jointer is when the horn starts to blow.  Like it is related to a momentary break in power to the center rail pickup roller.  I will have to explore that option a little further

Joe Satnik

Dear MM,

Do you mean the 100 Watt  Z1000 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTH-40-1000-Z-1000-Transformer-with-100-Watts-of-Power-/301528242623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46347bd9bf

As far as I can tell, that has a chopped sine wave output, which may be confusing your loco's sound triggers. 

Try a pure sine wave output transformer and see how your loco reacts.

Any postwar transformer should have pure sine wave outputs. I use an old 1033.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

TrainmanGene

If it's a True Blast 1, I had the same problem and replaced it with a True Blast 2.
Sueme Valley System