Old LimitedCollector's Edition of Norfolk & Western 611 J 4-8-4

Started by Puddintan3, April 10, 2015, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puddintan3

Some time a while back I bought a Limited Collector's Edition Norfolk & Western Class J 4-8-4 HO scale locomotive used, #41-0658-A4. It has sat on the shelf for years. A few days ago, I decided to run it at a club meeting on a very large layout. It would not move. The motor would try to start, but no wheels would turn. It appears the drive mechanism was meant to drive only the rear drivers, propelling the other wheels via the drive rods. It will not work.

Instead of the newer drive train that uses a worm gear, this has a square drive motor with a conventional brass gear.

The shell is in very good shape, and has the desired "611" cab number. The chassis is another story entirely.  :(

Wanting to inspect the loco's lubrication, I disassembled it. I noted that the chassis was made of cheap metal that was so brittle it broke easily. It has now broken so badly there is no way this chassis can be fixed.

I see in the parts listing that there is a newer 4-8-4 Class J listed at http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_89.

If I use my current shell, what new parts would I need to order to make this loco run? Can anyone help me find a chassis to put this shell on?

napa15

These particular Bachmann engines are known for the problems you are explaining. I have one sitting in its original box that needs to be sent in to Bachmann.

You won't find replacement parts for this. Your best option really is to send it in to Bachmann for "repair". They won't repair it because they don't have the parts, and will replace it with an equivalent engine . Visit this page for those details:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Good luck.

ACY

The parts for the new J are not intercompatible with the old J you have. Your best bet is to buy a newer Spectrum version of the J. Repair of your older version is most likely cost prohibitive,  as you can buy a newer Spectrum J class for cheaper than you can repair the old one. And since no parts are available,  if you semd in your locomotive to Bachmann provided you are the original owner and have the receipt,  they will replace the locomotive however you will most likely get offered something like a GP-30/35/40, you definitely won't get a steam engine back in return such as another 4-8-4.

the Bach-man

Dear Puddin,
Since you bought the loco used, there is no warranty, so I'd suggest returning it to the seller, who obviously knew he was selling you a broken item.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Puddintan3

Bach-man: This was bought so long ago there is no way to return it. I wasn't as familiar with the products back then as I am now. This has taught me to never buy used again.

I have one of your current products, and it is a great performer. It was a replacement, and I am very satisfied with it.