News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fitting decoder to DCC-Ready Shay Loco

Started by FrankS, April 09, 2011, 03:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankS

Hi,
I just purchased a Shay loco on E-Bay - Didn't think to check, I just assumed that ALL On30 Shays had factory fitted DCC.
Now I see it's only DCC ready - Can anyone tell me what decoder harness I need, I prefer to use TCS decoders If I can, failing that Digitrax.
Thanks.

WTierce1

You will need a decoder with an 8 pin plug.  I am going to assume that the size will probably be around the size of the small Bachmann Decoder.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

riny

Currently, the Soundtraxx TSU-750 decoder is made for Bachmann's DCC ready Shay (including the Climax and others). The speaker (810054) & baffle are purchased separately (but the baffle doesn't fit if the speaker is placed under the installed board on the tender - and isn't really needed since the tender box sort of acts as a baffle). Also, an 8-pin connector (810123, very small) is necessary. The connector must be soldered to 8 color-coded wires (very thin) from the decoder; and, 2 wires are soldered to the speaker.  Be sure to get the correct TSU-750 decoder, there are several different models for Bachmann's On30 loco's. There are instructions on Soundtraxx's site for doing all of this.