News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1:20.3 Consolidation split gear

Started by gprice, April 17, 2015, 03:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gprice

Apologizes if this has been done before but I have Spectrum 1:20.3 Consolidation that has a split gear.

Applying power to the motor causes it to run but the wheels do not move and there is a 'clunking" sound' made by the gear.

I have looked at  the parts store and the wheel assembly P/No 81209 has sold out.

Is there a replacement gear or wheel assembly that I can get to replace the failed one?

I am in Australia so a local supplier would be preferred if possible to save on postage.

I have previously used Barry's Big Trains to repair an old big hauler but he has retired.

regards
Graeme

mickeykelley

But check with Barry anyways.  Back around the holidays, he was doing another batch of drives.  He does not install. Worth the email.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Graeme,

As these locos get older this problem has become more common. I do not know of any local source for you, but
the parts store does have the gear and axle you need.

Here is the link:  http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843

Here is a link to the repair procedure:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20755.0.html

Good luck with your repair!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

gprice

Thank you for the advice & instructions.

Wish I had found the instructions earlier as it would have saved some severe head scratching and muttering.   ;) ;)

Chuck N

As far as I know Barry is still making FIXES for our Bachmann engines.  He put his revised motor and gear assembly in my Connie a couple of years ago.  It run like a champ. 

He did not retire, he just quit advertising his services. 

I saw him at a swap meet in Phoenix last month.

I would recommend you contact him to see what he has that could help you with your Connie.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

If Bachmann is out of the brass replacement gears, you can get a replacement Delrin gear from Northwest Short Line, part #2226-6. It'll set you back around $13 US, plus shipping, which to Australia hopefully won't double that.

Later,

K