News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upcoming USRA Mikado question

Started by ryeguyisme, May 26, 2015, 07:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

Dear Bach-man,

was wondering if by chance the upcoming mikado will have surface mounted domes?(without a gaping hole in the boiler)

I feel like being able to pry off domes and replace them with whatever one pleases would make your models more versatile for the average kitbasher like myself. Just a thought...

was eye-balling the Berkshire exploded parts and I noticed that the domes might be surface mounted on the boilers therefore making those engines easy targets for potential kitbash.  ;) ;D

the Bach-man

Hi Rye!
Not sure- i haven't seen the test shots.
I'll try to find out.
Best,
the Bach-man

electrical whiz kid

Hey Rye;
You still living around Bristol?
Rich C.
SGT C.

the Bach-man

Hey, RG,
The domes are sonic welded over large holes- get out the Squadron putty!
the Bach-man

Len

Another way to plug the holes:

Use a heat gun, or hair dryer, to soften ovals of sheet styrene until they sag over a dowel about the same diameter as the boiler. Then trim them down to fit the holes where the domes used to be, and glue in place.

After the dome is off, hold a piece of card stock, or index card, against the inside of the boiler and mark around the opening. This will give a fair idea of what size to make the filler. It's best to make it a little over size, the trim to fit. It's hard to add material if you go too small.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ryeguyisme

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 27, 2015, 12:26:00 PM
Hey, RG,
The domes are sonic welded over large holes- get out the Squadron putty!
the Bach-man

Just bought some for the first time recently though haven't tried it yet, though I plan to on a 2-8-8-2 I've started to work on and a 2-10-2 project in the works :) Still anticipating the Bachmann version of the 2-8-2

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on May 27, 2015, 11:15:02 AM
Hey Rye;
You still living around Bristol?
Rich C.
SGT C.

Yes Sir!

Been working a lot so I haven't had a good amount of time for projects as of late, but still manage to go down to the FVRS occasionally

Quote from: Len on May 27, 2015, 02:50:00 PM
Another way to plug the holes:

Use a heat gun, or hair dryer, to soften ovals of sheet styrene until they sag over a dowel about the same diameter as the boiler. Then trim them down to fit the holes where the domes used to be, and glue in place.

After the dome is off, hold a piece of card stock, or index card, against the inside of the boiler and mark around the opening. This will give a fair idea of what size to make the filler. It's best to make it a little over size, the trim to fit. It's hard to add material if you go too small.

Len

The heat gun trick I hadn't thought of yet, will deffinitely have to try it. I bought plenty of sheet stryrene to test it out!