News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Binding Drivers

Started by SERABILL, April 25, 2015, 06:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SERABILL

I have a 2-8-0 that has never been run. I just unpacked it and hooked up the tender. I connected a power pack to it and turned on the power. The drivers are binding at 3 spots in each revolution. I stopped it when it bound up. Looking at the left side, it is obvious that the #3 driver is out of quarter from the other 3 drivers. What can be done about this?

armorsmith

SeraBill,

Dare I ask if you purchased this new or used?  If my memory is right, the No 3 driver is the driver the drive gear is on. This loco has a reputation for cracking the drive gear on that axle. Mine did, and I replaced it with an OEM replacement from Bachmann.  It sounds to me like this is possibly the source of your issue. Yes, if this axle is out of quarter it will cause binding. Some not too difficult dis assembly, adjustment, and re assembly may cure your problem.

SERABILL

I got it new, in the box. I don't see how a split gear can cause the engine to go out of quarter. I do see how it could bind or slip.

Chuck N

If the gear slips, all h**l can happen.  You might try to carefully try to rotate the #3 driver back into quarter.  If you can rotate it back, it a good likelyhood that you have a cracked gear.  This  is  a very common problem.  When my mine broke, I had Barry at Barry' Big Trains put in a new gear train and motor.  It is a bullet proof fix, not inexpensive, but reasonable.  At that time the only replacement gears were the same as the original one that broke.  Since then, Bachmann has stronger, brass, gears as replacements.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

On the outside frame 2-8-0, the counterweights are held in quarter on the axles with a flat spot machined onto the axle itself. If the counterweights are out of quarter from the other drivers, then there's an issue with either the counterweight or the axle. The ends of the axles are "D" shaped, with the flat sides set at 90 degrees from each other. The counterweights have a "D" shaped opening on them which presses onto the metal axle. This is a snug fit, so when assembled and secured with the screws, they should be properly quartered.

First, check to make sure the counterweights are snug on the axle. The screws holding them in place have a tendency to work loose, or they possibly might not have been tightened all the way at the factory. If they're all snug, the next thing to check is to see which axle might be out of quarter, and why. Run the motor (slowly) until the loco is in the "rods down" position (rods at 6 o'clock). Remove the siderods from the opposite side of the locomotive, and then use a straight edge to see which of the counterweights is out of position, and how much. Loosen that screw and see if you can twist the counterweight into position. If that doesn't change anything, loosen the screw on the opposite end of the axle and try twisting. If everything is tight, but the axle is still not properly quartered, then there's a possibility the axle itself is not properly quartered. If that's the case, you may want to replace the axle. (If it's the drive axle, go ahead and order the replacement from Bachmann that has the brass gear, and kill two birds with one stone.)

If the axle is properly quartered, it's possible the counterweights are not. You can also buy replacement counterweights from Bachmann.

On my 2-8-0, the #3 counterweight can rotate about 2 degrees on the axle, but that's not enough to cause a bind in the siderods.

Since you said the #3 axle looks clearly out of quarter, I'll let you check things out as I described and get back to us before I go looking at other remedies.

Later,

K

Loco Bill Canelos

Serabill,

Hopefully Kevins outstanding response will lead to a fix for you. If you are not mechanically inclined or do not have the time (Since you bought it newhopefully from a dealer) you can contact Bachmann for warranty service.  You could also return it to the seller for a replacement.

Good luck, it is a great loco!!!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!