News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Backdating a Ten Wheeler

Started by Fred Jack, April 13, 2015, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Jack

i have a picture of a Ten Wheeler from a book called Lincoln's Railroads. I have a few Spectrum 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s. I wanted 2 of my Ten Wheelers to match, So far, I ordered what 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 parts I could from Bachmann parts, such as 2 lamp brackets, 2 larger lamp housings. 2 small and 2 large flag poles, and 2 cow catchers.

I first had updated my old Ten Wheelers to Tenth Anniversary with new chassis and a little surgery with a Dremel. one of the two was bought as an Anniversary. The one that will stay 20th Century, is the one with the steel cab. it looks good with a 55 ton Shay, two truck Climax, 0-4-0 Side Tank Porter, and all black Big Hauler Industrial Mogul.

First I removed the short cow catcher and coupler, sawed off the coupler box from the front of the chassis, removed the coupler release bar and brackets, and filled the holes, got the new old style cow catchers, removed two mounting brackets that wouldn't work on the Bachmann Ten Wheelers. Filed, sanded, centered, and simply glued them on. Next was the smoke box. According to the picture, the smoke boxes are short, just like the 4-4-0 and 2-6-0. Luck would have it that both Bachmann Ten Wheelers have two close together rivet lines close together going around the boiler right between the stack and the lamp housing. I sawed off the smoke box extension, measured and cut slots for the lamp mounting bracket, then mounted and wired the lamp. I kept the cylinders over the wheels but removed the generator in front of the cab.

All in all, like the 19th Century counterparts, the Ten Wheelers are a little larger than the Americans and Moguls, but my two are just as beautiful. I am completely blown out of the water.

Loco Bill Canelos

Great!!  Sounds like you are having a ball!!  Try posing a picture for us!!

Thanks, Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Fred Jack

Bill, when I figure out how to send pictures, I will. I just couldn'i believe how a little surgery could change the looks sooo much.

Joe Zullo

Your photo needs to be hosted somewhere on line such as Photobucket. You then click on the add BBC tags that looks like a picture, and insert the url from the source between the  tags .

Fred Jack

I'll see my daughter next week. She is more savvy at these things. Meanwhile, I've decided to remove the cylinders. Just have to match the Russian iron paint. I'll take off the cylinders and cover the gap with sheet brass. I'm removing the plastic boiler bands and replacing them with brass.