Sodor's Legend of The Lost Treasure Thread

Started by Metal, April 19, 2015, 12:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal

I think I just went squee

The official trailer for the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dso4ddpL07I&feature=youtu.be&a=

Not just the Arlesdale Engines in the show. But Donald/Douglas are back. Now that fills the gap between No.8 and 11. Plus Ryan looks awesome, and he's voiced by Eddie Redmayne who played Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything.  :o

Please discuss your thoughts. I'm very excited. ;D

Chaz

There is so much I can say about this special that has me really excited for this new special coming out.  

I love how we are getting our first legitimate human antagonist.  Sailor John looks like he's going to be a pretty interesting character in the special and I can't wait to hear more from him later.  The voice actor for him, John Hurt is pretty well known too, one of my favorites from him personally is the War Doctor from Doctor Who.

Compared to Skiff, I can easily say I'm looking forward to Ryan a lot more.  Based on how the characters that have been interesting in the past, I have a feeling that he will make for an interesting character in the special.  Already he looks more promising than Rosie and Stanley.  Eddie Redmayne is a great actor too, it's funny you mention The Theory of Everything.  I saw that movie on DVD with some friends one night, great movie!  

Skiff looks interesting, and the idea of a rail sailboat sounds interesting for the show and I'm interested to see where this will go from there.  

I love how the small railway engines look!  They were the highlight for me in the trailer, as I thought they looked really good in full CGI.  I guess now it's just a matter of seeing how their voices turn out at this point.  

Donald and Douglas look great!  It's great to finally have them back, since having Duck and Oliver without them did not feel complete to me either.  I love how their nameplates are positioned on their smokeboxes, similar to how they were in season 2 and the RWS.  

Alfie and Oliver also don't look half bad and it is good to see Jack again.  We did not see Max or Monty, but I'm sure they will turn up soon.  Beyond that something tells me that those will be the only pack characters, since we are getting a handful of returning characters coming our way, so they are keeping that to a minimum in that regard.  

I like how there are more returning characters/RWS characters coming to the show than the newer characters.  The writers truly know who to please when making these episodes/specials!

Everything else visually in the special is great, and I found myself watching the trailer a handful of times.  Hopefully this special will live up to the excitement that the trailer has given us.  

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Kemptown Branch

The only thing I don't like is how Sir Topham Hatt doesn't send Thomas to the Steam works after falling into the cave. Also, wouldn't it have been the signalman or the drivers fault fr Thomas seeming to run into Toby?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Anthony P2

Quote from: TrainMan2001 on April 19, 2015, 05:31:40 PM
The only thing I don't like is how Sir Topham Hatt doesn't send Thomas to the Steam works after falling into the cave. Also, wouldn't it have been the signalman or the drivers fault fr Thomas seeming to run into Toby?

how do we know that for sure? It's just a trailer, better details will be in the special.

MeganekkoFury1126

I vividly remember John Hurt from the Elephant Man and Watership Down, and Eddie Redmayne was great in Theory of Everything. The fact we're getting not one but two Academy Award winners who want to partake in Thomas is exciting alone.  ;D Sailor John looks like the PT Boomer character fans have wanted since the unexpected cut in Thomas and the Magic Railroad, and already he looks particularly intimidating. Skiff does look like the antagonistic sidekick who's just doing what John says, but we'll see how he's handled.

Arguably, I'm going to join most of the fans that Donald and Douglas' return is the thing I'm thrilled most after that. Donald and Douglas were in my top 5 favorite characters (probably 5 and 4 respectively), and I can't wait to see how they're going to be used both for the special and for future episodes. Considering how well Duck was used last season, I think we're in for a lot of usage of these two.

Now, the minimum gauge railway engines. An absolute yes! It's been 15 seasons since the TV series adapted any Railway series, and it helps that I really enjoyed their stories particularly. This is probably a sign that at last Rex and Bert will get their toy models made, since only Mike made it into merchandising (not counting Jock and Frank), which made no sense to me as a kid... They look great, and I really hope they get their personalities down, too. Not only that, but both the Small Railway included and Donald and Douglas back, there's plenty of opportunity to write episodes on the Little Western branch.

As for the plot itself, it looks really action-packed. I mean, there's numerous scenes of trains derailing and dynamite explosions thrown in! This has worried me before in bad action movies that they rely too much on over the top, blaring action, and the story is either really convoluted or just bland. Now, as much as I love season 5, I can see many episodes that did one or both of those. However, one of my favorite movies, DRIVE, tells me that the best action is used to tell a story and not just there for action-sake. As far as the trailer shows, much of the action spoiled looks like it will tell a pretty entertaining and coherent story.

Like all Thomas specials, I'm being cautious, but what is spoiled now does give a lot of hype this Fall. Besides, all 3 of the last specials have proven my doubts wrong, so this second one to celebrate Thomas' 70th anniversary looks like it will do both aspects justice.

Metal

New Promos for the upcoming movie.

Aww, aren't the Arlesdale Engines so cute looking? :D

You gotta love them carrying cherries in their tenders. :P I want that cake!!!

I'm not sure what to say about Thomas himself. :o

Overall, what do you think?

thomasj219

The last one has a real classic series flare.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

MeganekkoFury1126

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I have to point out how much ARC's animation has improved in the last two years. It looks richer, glossier, and more detailed than ever.

As for the new teasers, it's really adorable how the minimum gauge Arlesdale engines look in direct comparison to standard gauge, not to mention the interesting track pattern in the scene.

I'm going to bet the second image is for an awesome title sequence or an awesome Dream sequence.

And for the last, well...Duck's expression kinda says it all. :P Definitely reminds me of Oliver when he was hauled out of the turntable well in Oliver Owns Up.

Metal

More images of the upcoming movie

Not sure how to caption Skiff.  :P

But the left one!!  :o
The expressions show that Ryan seems to be a real rival Thomas, portrayed by Stephen Hawkings Eddie Redmayne, himself. ;)
I'm looking forward to Ryan much more now. ;D

MeganekkoFury1126

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i1aHhZYXCA

Still more teasers for Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure - including the script, the making of the animation, and more finished clips.

But just as important the documentary coming full circle over Thomas' 70 years of existence. Are you looking forward to going through the past 70 years of this documentary? I sure am!

MeganekkoFury1126

Okay, for those who don't want spoilers, DO NOT go to the link where I found these pictures. It contains way too much awesomeness that would likely spoil the actual release!

But, for those who are eager, these pics I found the most interesting. :D

Even though Duck looks a bit too big compared to Donald and Douglas, it doesn't feel quite as noticeable compared to Oliver next to him. It appears the twins' wheel diameters are smaller, too. I'm very excited to see the interaction of our old favorites in this movie.

I'm very interested to see how Marion will play a role in this special, since she's still one of my most favorite of the Brenner era characters.

Ryan's face kinda sums up this whole image...

And oh yeah! Daisy IS returning in this special!!! Welcome back you swagger filled sass master!!!

I'm even more amped up for this movie than ever before!!!

Metal

I was actually hoping that no one would post here until the movie is released. But it isn't too bad. The fanbase has been acting up.

It's actually great to Donald/Douglas with Duck and Oliver in CGI that now completes the Little Western Group.

It's not that Donald/Douglas are undersized is that Duck's Overscale.  :P
Donald/Douglas have been one of my favorites as a kid, it's great to see them back.
I agree about Marion, she's my second favorite CGI character, after Hiro, and by the looks of it's she's gonna be used alot in the show.  ;D

What's going on with Ryan?! Was he captured by Sailor John, or is he trying to intercept him?! :o

And Daisy!!!!! What a complete surprise, but then again her entire comeback was a surprise. I wouldn't even doubt that she will be one of Brenner's favorite characters. Like I said before; He used to write alot magazine stories about her.

That kinda leaves Boco, and Terrance.
The writers would often go for characters that diversify the personality spectrum. Why have we been seeing alot of episodes about James?

Character Groups Completed;
Little Western
Ffarquar Branch
Edward's Branch

Overall, I'm excited for this, and to pass the time, I'm gonna try to keep myself busy.

MeganekkoFury1126

Quote from: Nykrivas on July 13, 2015, 11:20:53 PM
I was actually hoping that no one would post here until the movie is released. But it isn't too bad. The fanbase has been acting up.

Yeah...sorry about that... Then again, I'm sure someone else would've done it if I hadn't.

I'm definitely hoping the new team complete Edward's Branch Line team, too. Then the whole original standard gauge TV series favorites from seasons 1-3 will be complete. :)

gwr duck

omg  :o where did you get the pics from im ok with any spoilers they got as I will still see the movie no matter what

therailwayinspector

Having been at the premiere on Sunday, I can honestly say you are all in for a treat when this film. It is by far the best one yet, and there are plenty of nods and cameos that you will all go wild over.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures