New 30 Degree 4' Diameter Turnouts and Switch Stand Are in Stock

Started by InsideTrack, April 23, 2015, 09:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsideTrack

Loco Bill Canelos

Inside Track,

I really like the switch stands.   Do you know if they will work with other brands of switches??  They look like they should.  I like the targets on them as they give the best visual indication of routing of any manual factory build manual switch stand I have seen.

Thanks for the update.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

InsideTrack

The Switch Stand is compatible with most commercial Large Scale turnouts.

jviss

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Pennsylvania Railroad Set - generation 3 locomotive
Emmet Kelly Circus set - generation 3 locomotive
Open Streetcar
4-6-0 D&RGW "Bumblebee" Anniversary loco
various passenger cars and rolling stock
indoor, temporary at this point
DCC: Digitraxxxxx Super Chief Xtra 8A

Joe Zullo

They look like they could be made to work, but not a direct add-on. I just pre-ordered a couple to play with.  ;D

StanAmes

Quote from: jviss on April 23, 2015, 11:31:10 AM
They will work with Bachmann steel switches?

Yes they will work but you have to do a few extra steps.

1) The Bachmann "steel" turnouts only have one tie with a hole in it.  The manual ground throw needs to attach to two ties so you will need to drill a hole in the second tie for the attachment screw to go through

2) The throwbar for the "steel" turnouts was designed for manual movement.  You would need to cut the end of the throwbar off  so it is flat and then drill a small hole for the lever on the new manual throw to fit in.

I have tested these new ground throws on a variety of commercial and hand made turnouts and they work very well.  I plan to use them on most of our turnouts on our layout.

Stan

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chastity

4ft diameter?  Most of the Spectrum stuff will not even fit through a curve that tight.  Hopefully something larger like 8ft, 10ft or even #6 will be forthcoming.

Joe Zullo

Can't fool you, eh?  8) Still, it's a step in the right direction.

JerryB

Great additions to Bachmann's LS lineup!

I'll try a couple of the switch stands with the goal of standardizing on them. My RR is mostly operated by the train crews, including lining the switches by hand, so these will fit right in. The street price mentioned elsewhere also seems very attractive.

On the other hand, my minimum radius is 4' (8' diameter), so these great looking switches won't work for me.

I've seen it suggested that Bachmann will see how sales are for the 2' radius, and then decide if there will be larger radius switches. The problem with this is that in my case there won't be any sales of the current product. I suspect that is the case for many established RRs. It would seem that these new switches are of materials and construction that outdoor RRers want, but are sized for the set-track operators.

I sincerely hope Bachmann will extend this line to include at least 4' radius switches!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jviss

I have another question: what prototype era and type do these switch stands model?  I mean, what decade or decades, and standard or narrow gauge or both?

Thanks,

jv
Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Open Streetcar

StanAmes

Quote from: jviss on May 03, 2015, 01:39:44 PM
I have another question: what prototype era and type do these switch stands model?  I mean, what decade or decades, and standard or narrow gauge or both?

Thanks,

jv

The prototypes for this are common on both narrow gauge and standard gauge railroads and are still being manufactured and put in use today although most today have a different arm to make throwing a turnout easier an the back. (a Google search will pull up several current manufacturers)

I am not sure when they were first produced but suspect that they date from the 20s or 30s.

Stan

jviss

Bachmann Big Hauler fan
Open Streetcar