News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-2 'Prarrie' Wanted

Started by Len, November 02, 2007, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

The Varney Old Lady was (and is) a nice model. My one objection is the cab casting. It has a cutaway roof and no front facing windows for the crew. The Varney die casting metal was tough to work with and maybe Bowser is using a different metal so a cab change is possible. I had  both an original consolidation and a Casey Jones ten wheeler. They both ran quite well. One problem was that the first run had metal tenders that were heavy with trucks that didn't roll too well. I put Tru Scale andrews trucks under my engines.

The engine underwent a lot of changes when Varney started to make things cheaper, Then I believe Life Like got their hands on it and it became junk. They are numerous on Ebay - but beware, they are called "vintage" and "rare" and some sellers think they are made out of gold. Look over the Varney postings and see that the originals are not rare.

If I wanted another I'd get one from Bowser. As for the prairie, as mentioned above, MDC made an SP version for years. Also a good runner, especially if you put in a can motor.

logger

I agree that the 2-6-2 needs to be redone with a can motor drive train.  Along those lines, how about a low drivered 2-8-2?  Something along the the lines of the OP&E #19 in the emperior of the north?  Nice low drivers, short wheel base with inside bearing leading and trailing trucks.  Would make an excellent shortline/logging rod loco for small layouts.  I agree that the manufactures, all of them, have been hung up on making huge road locomotives and way to many F units!  Makes those of us with small layouts stick to other brand locomotives or older locos from Varney, AHM/Rivarossi ect.  Mike

japasha

On the Varney/Bowser Old Lady, I put a MDC Harriamn boiler on one and it did look decent. I did one Old Lady and a Casey jones so I could have a ten-wheeler.  This was done in the early 80s and they looked good. There is some metal removal required for the return pipes for the cylinders...... mounting needs to be addressed but it can be done