News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-6-2 'Prarrie' Wanted

Started by Len, November 02, 2007, 04:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Roger,

You are so correct! But some how the N&W J, UP FEF, and SP GS series steal all the attention.

While all of these where great engineering achievements, they where few in number and short lived in use do to their late creation.

I will once again remind the manufacturers that I don't own any models of the locos mentioned above, nor do I plan to.

If we must have another Northern, a CNR version would be a great choice.

The two Northerns on my layout are Reading T-1's, much more fitting of my east coast theme than GS4's or FEF's

Sheldon

rogertra

Quote from: Atlantic Central on November 10, 2007, 08:01:56 AM
Roger,

You are so correct! But some how the N&W J, UP FEF, and SP GS series steal all the attention.

While all of these where great engineering achievements, they where few in number and short lived in use do to their late creation.

I will once again remind the manufacturers that I don't own any models of the locos mentioned above, nor do I plan to.

If we must have another Northern, a CNR version would be a great choice.

The two Northerns on my layout are Reading T-1's, much more fitting of my east coast theme than GS4's or FEF's

Sheldon

Like you Sheldon, none of the locos you mention, the N&W J, UP FEF, and SP GS series, will ever show up on the GER.  Neither will any articulated as they were unknown in Canada.  I tend to steer clear of any locomotive class that is easiliy identfied with being associated with one railroad.  The three mentioned above for example.

However, I can cheat a bit when it comes to Canadian power as my GER is supposedly jointly owned by the CNR & CPR, although I tend to prefer CPR practice.  Besides, if someone like Bachmann were to produce a CNR/GTW style Northern, then I'm sure the GER would obtain a few copies, suitably modified for the GER's particlar need of course.

SteamGene

Part of the fascination of big power vs power that is more suitable to a home layout is the fact that there is still a J, and even operational into the early 1990s.  The same with with the Daylight, and, I think, the FEF.  Two of the three are streamlined, therefor "futuristic."  There is also the advertizing done in the past.  Why is the Big Boy so much more famous than the Allegheny, when there were far more Alleghenys?
In addition, one has to remember that in the U.S., and, to some degree, Canada, too, I think, big is better.  I remember that Range Control at CFB Gagetown was very proud that artillery did not have to calculate maximum QE (range to non-artillery types) for safety because it was impossible to shoot out of safety at maximum range.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

andrechapelon

Quote from: rogertra on November 09, 2007, 08:17:56 PM
Sheldon wrote" -

"Articulated locos of all types combined can be counted in the low thousands, but we have lots of models of those! - Not to mentions those pesky Northerns of which there was only about 1000."

And many of those 1000 Northerns were in Canada.  :-)

I believe the CNR rostered the largest number on any single road with 150 on the books.

The second largest in number, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific with 85  never even came close and number three,  the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe with 65 had less than half the number CNR rostered.

CNR subsiduary the Grand Trunk Western had 43.

The CNR with 150 and the GTW with 43 equals 193 engines of "CNR" style Northerns or just under 20% of Northern production.

So come on Bachmann, lets be having a CNR Northerm,  :-)

Roger, didn't True Line Trains up there in the frozen North advertise a CNR U-2-g quite recently?

BTW, the SP was #3, not the Santa Fe. SP had 74 of its own 4-8-4's, more if you count the the second-hand Cotton Belt L-1's.  If you count the 12 second hand units (GS-7's #4475-4481, GS-8's #4485-4488), SP beats the CRI&P for the #2 spot.

Andre

rogertra

Andre wrote: -

"Roger, didn't True Line Trains up there in the frozen North advertise a CNR U-2-g quite recently?"

Yes, but at over $1,000.00 per model that's way outta my league.

andrechapelon

Quote from: rogertra on November 10, 2007, 07:40:37 PM
Andre wrote: -

"Roger, didn't True Line Trains up there in the frozen North advertise a CNR U-2-g quite recently?"

Yes, but at over $1,000.00 per model that's way outta my league.

Yeah, that does put a bit of a damper on things.

Ever thought of Canadianizing a Bowser 4-8-4 kit? Overall size is about right, but that awful cab just screams "replace me, now, please!!!!"

Andre

SteamGene

You will have to cut the cab off the boiler.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frisco_Manny

Dear Mr. Bachmann,

I humbly ask for you to produce a good 1900-1920 era Prarie for the Spectrum line. I respect everyones debate on the vitality of the Prarie in real life, however, 2-6-2 Prarie's were utilized by many Class 1 and smaller railroads for over 50 years. A good, moderized 2-6-2 would fit the niche of industrial, branchline, mainline passenger and logging operations.

I firmly believe that balance must be kept for a product to be viably marketable. Almost every wheel arrangement available has been done by Bachmann and various manufacturers'. I think this is a great time to build a modern Spectrum 2-6-2 Prarie, with the correct tender connection for either a short/medium coal tender or the medium Vanderbilt. I am humbled that you listened to my voice and concerns surrounding the modern 4-4-0. I ask you to consider this request and explore its feasibility.

I would definitely purchase a few.

Thank you.

Frisco_Manny

andrechapelon

Quote from: Frisco_Manny on November 11, 2007, 08:07:19 PM
Dear Mr. Bachmann,

I humbly ask for you to produce a good 1900-1920 era Prarie for the Spectrum line. I respect everyones debate on the vitality of the Prarie in real life, however, 2-6-2 Prarie's were utilized by many Class 1 and smaller railroads for over 50 years. A good, moderized 2-6-2 would fit the niche of industrial, branchline, mainline passenger and logging operations.

I firmly believe that balance must be kept for a product to be viably marketable. Almost every wheel arrangement available has been done by Bachmann and various manufacturers'. I think this is a great time to build a modern Spectrum 2-6-2 Prarie, with the correct tender connection for either a short/medium coal tender or the medium Vanderbilt. I am humbled that you listened to my voice and concerns surrounding the modern 4-4-0. I ask you to consider this request and explore its feasibility.

I would definitely purchase a few.

Thank you.

Frisco_Manny

To add my $.02, here's a good candidate: http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/SF1010.JPG

They burned both coal and oil. They were of modest size and it just so happens that there were a number of them that were preserved, the best example of which (#1010 actually) is at the California State Railroad museum where it can measured to a fair-thee-well by the design types.

Oh yeah. Don't copy that ridiculous pilot. That wasn't what was used in actual service in later years. Rather, the pilot looked more like the one on this 1800 class Prairie: http://www.yesteryeardepot.com/SF1828.JPG

One more thing. The 1000 class 2-6-2's were in service for roughly half a century. #1010 (in its 79" driver Vauclain compound as built passenger version) was one of the engines on Death Valley Scotty's special in 1905).

Andre

RAM

The first 50 locomotives had 79 inch drivers,  all of the rest had 69 inch except for three.  one 2447 had 44 inch and was only on the system one year.  564-565 had 63 inch.  I think the 69 or 63 inch model would be better thsn the 79 inch.

Len

Frisco & Andre,

Thanks for your support on this request. I believe a Spectrum quality 'Prarrie' is long over due.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

japasha

I berlieve a railroad movie called "Northern Lights" or something like that had  pair of Northern Pacific Prairies trying to shove each other  in a contest. Those were branch line locomotives.

Notheless, a smaller locomotive in that vein would be very nice. Pres3nt 2-8-0 is very nice and I have a pair. Even a more modern 4-6-0 like a SP T-27 would be welcome (1930's configuration).

Atlantic Central

I will say this, even though it would be very road specific, a ATSF Prairie would be the one to do since it was far and away the most common and most successfull.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

An SP Ten Wheeler, Lee Riley could put me down for a half a dozen!

Sheldon

r.cprmier

THe Bachmann 2-8-0 is a nice rig, but Varney's "Old Lady" had some really nice lines.   English now handles that engine, and one of these days...

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!