News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam lubercation

Started by NWsteam, November 02, 2007, 05:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

Can anyone give me directions on how to lubricate an N&W J without all the technical words?  I know a little bit about steam but not enough! Also does one need to lubricate a shay?  If so were, how and how often?

Thanks,
Brad

SteamGene

You need light, plastic friendly oil.  LaBelle is a good choice.  You need to put NO MORE THAN ONE DROP of oil on each place where two of the moving metal parts that move the wheels touch.  Do the same with the little parts above the first pair of drivers, where the cylinders are. 
Do NOT grease anything, 
The frequency depends on how often the locomotive is run 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Use a plastic compatable lubricant made for model locomotives, such as Labelle 102 Clear Oil and Labelle 108 Lubricating Oil and NOT any household lubricant like WD40.

Using the Labelle 108 Lubricating Oil, oil very lightly, VERY lightly, a drop of oil on the end of a pin for example, all moving parts of the valve gear motion and the driving wheel bearings.

Although Gene advises against using grease, you do need a very light grease for the gear train, like Labelle 102 Clear Oil.  Using Labelle 102 Clear Oil, oil very lightly, VERY lightly, the locomotive drive gearing.  ONE, repeat ONE drop of oil on ONE gear is all you need.

The above applies to all model locomotives, steam or diesel.

Over lubrication is the worst thing you can do.  Once again, oil VERY LIGHTLY.

You'll have to figure out yourself how to access the drive gear train on all your various locomotives.

As for frequentcy?  No more than once per year should be enough.  I usually wait until I hear a sqeek from somewhere and then LIGHTY and carefully lubricate the locomotive.

SteamGene

Roger,
My advice on gear train lubing comes from several angles.
1.  Many of the Bachmann gear towers are enclosed and can't be lubed without destroying the tower.
2.  Most of them, especially the Spectrum, are hard to get to and harder to put back together. 
3.  NWSteam implies that he is at the bottom of the learning curve.
4.  I've yet to see/hear evidence that any of my Bachmann steam needs greasing.
For others who say/imply they can get to the gear tower, then, yes, a bit of grease may be in order.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

NWsteam

Thanks for the help guys.  I have already purchased Hob-E-Lub.  I have the ultra light oil and the gear lube.  Will that get me by or will I need something else?
Thanks,
-Brad

BaltoOhioRRfan

To oil a gear tower, heres what i do. I take off the bottom plate and put lube on the bottom gear, run it a few minutes to allow teh oil to spread.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Virginian

I don't remember the numbers, but I also lube each axle where it goes into the frame with one small drop of Labelle light oil every couple of months or so.  Also, both ends og the motor shaft.
If you ever hear a screeching sound, no matter how faint, it's telling you it needs lube.
"What could have happened... did."

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

To add my two cents:

Several of our members, including me put a small amount of lube (Wahl clipper oil, Rail Zip, etc) on the rails to minimize arcing and oxidation. Would not the extra lube do a similar thing, presuming it is not dripping on the rail bed?  I think Jim Banner recommended one drop per one hundred feet of rail.   Jim, please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Virginian

Note to all -
    Put any oil, of any type, on the rails at your own hazard, and if you decide later on your own that it is a complete fiasco, remember some people here warned you.
    If you decide you like it, you can thank Jack.

jsmvmd

Dear Virg,

Tried it on my O gauge stuff and it seemed to work well.  Would you please enlighten me why you advise against it?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Virginian

It combines with any dust and/or dirt in the environment and forms a nasty gray ooze that is not conductive.  It spreads to everything.  It is not conducive to better traction in my opinion.  Oil is a lubricant.  Real locomotives used sand.  That tells me a lot.  I do use Wahl's.  On my clippers.

SteamGene

Some of these lubes may work.  However, it is vital, I mean VITAL, to clean the track often, remove the lube and the junk they attract, and then lube again.
This is why I'm using alchohol.  But not Lafite Rotschilde '29.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

Sounds logical, and thank you!  Do you have any experience with Gus Del C's track cleaner?  It is a dry system, I believe. Too, there are those wet systems. Any preferences?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

I clean loco wheels with Goo Gone, but than dry them very thoroughly.

I have always cleaned track dry or with alchohol. I know some who claim good luck with the clipper oil thing, but like Virginian, I think it defies logic.

Also, if you have locos with traction tires, you most definately do NOT want oil or chemicals on the track. Achohol evaporates!

Sheldon