Passenger car size for my new train (Newbie Question)

Started by punkin, May 06, 2015, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

punkin

Hello everyone,

My apologies for possibly asking what may be a very entry level questions. I really have tried to research and learn this for myself by googling the web. I suppose it's possible I'm being caught up in the terms and lingo. I'm very new to this and in fact, my very first train is in the mail on it's way.

I have purchased what I hope to be a fairly complete set up and have a bit left in my budget to possibly purchase a passenger car. The train I ordered is a Bachmann #91602 4-6-0 Anniversary Edition D&RGW #178. I would like to get a matching passenger car for it.

Here is my dilemma. I see so many terms being used to describe the sizes (1:22, 1:20, Large Scale, G scale, Spectrum, Big-Haulers, etc.). I believe that I've come to the understanding that within the G-scale there are different sizes as I've read in places where some people have trouble finding cars that match up in size with their trains.

Any pointers on how to know what to look for in locating a matching passenger car for my new train would be very welcome.

I thank you all for considering a reply to my little newbie problem.  ;)
I can type my handle with one hand.

Loco Bill Canelos

If you stick with a Bachmann Large Scale Jackson and Sharp Coach or Combine you will b e fine.

89092   D&RG   122   2000   P Combine   Denver & Rio Grande    Maroon   P         Track Power Lights   $75.00    Metal Railings

89792   D&RGW   202   2005   P Combine   Denver & Rio Grande Western   Yellow     P         Track Power Lights   $80.00    Metal Railings

89091   D&RG   220   2000   P-Coach   Denver & Rio Grande    Maroon   P         Track Power Lights   $75.00    Metal Railings

89791   D&RGW   None   2005   P-Coach   Denver & Rio Grande Western   Yellow     P         Track Power Lights   $80.00    Metal Railings

97218   D&RGW   330   1995   P-Coach   Denver & Rio Grande    Maroon   P         Battery Lights   $68.00       Plastic railings

The 89xxx series come in maroon or yellow and have track power lights and metal railings.  The 97 series has plastic railings and battery powered lighting.

In the old days it was not uncommon for the Rio Grande to run single car passenger trains.   Most of the pictures I have seen show single car trains with only a single coach.  Other pictures show single car passenger trains with a combine.

Any of the above will look great with you new loco.

Bill                                                                                       
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

punkin

Ted Yarbrough

Punkin,
L**  yellow D&RGW passenger cars are an almost exact color match to the Bachmann Bumble-Bee locomotive. Just in case you are interested. They are also same basic scale. I run both the Bachmann & the L** cars with my Annies and they look great.

punkin

Thank you Ted,

But what is L** ? This is a new term for me.

Ted Yarbrough

Punkin,
That is the 3 letter German manufacturer that only has letters in their name. Bachmann does not like you naming other manufacturers on their site, and I full understand. But these cars are very compatible with Bachmann products. Many garden railroaders run them together, even in the same train. Go to http://ggrs.info/GGRS/Member_Layouts/Pages/Ted_Yarbourgh_Garden_Railroad_Oct._2011.html and you can see photos of the yellow passenger cars by the German company and a caboose by Bachmann (the red D&RG one).

Loco Bill Canelos

Some members are very careful about mentioning other manufacturers products because of the Bachmann Forum "Code of Conduct"

It states:
This forum is provided to discuss Bachmann model trains, associated products and techniques. You may mention and discuss the products of other manufacturers, but please don't use our board for their announcements or discussions focused specifically on another manufacturer's product. Also, please refrain from criticizing other manufacturers, as they are not here to respond.

In Ted's response L** stands for LGB which also makes yellow Rio Grande passenger cars.  My view is in this case it is not breaking the code of conduct, but is at best an attempt to be informational.   After you are around for awhile you will come to know what L** and other things like AR*** C*** and U**T mean.  Sometimes it is not a problem mentioning another manufacturers name especially when they make a product nor offered by Bachmann.  Ted and I and most old timers here do our best to follow the guidelines without breaking the rules out of respect and thanks  for Bachmann's sponsorship of this great forum.  In fact this forum is the most respectful of all the large scale forums out there!!

The Bachmann  coaches  I mentioned in the earlier response are good runners and a good buy and the quality is excellent.  I highly recommend them and gave you the Bachmann product numbers to make it easier for you to find them at a hobby retailer or on Evil Bay.

Hope that explained it.

Bill

P.s.  I did not see Ted's response before posting this

Ted Yarbrough

punkin & Bill,
I fully agree with Bill. I use both companies passenger cars. Bachmann has some very good qualities, such as metal handrails & wheels (on the newer versions), and included lights. The Bachmann Annie is, in my opinion, the best locomotive on the market for the price.

punkin

Oh...I guess I just showed how much of a newbie I really am  :o

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

RkyGriz

Hi, Punkin. I just want to weigh in here and say that I agree with Bill and Ted that Bachmann Jackson Sharp passenger cars are excellent in both detail and realism. I have 8 of them right now, and I'm completely satisfied with them. I do recommend converting them to track power with parts available on the Bachmann website:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_149&products_id=6494
Virtually everything else that you'll need is contained within the cars themselves with the only exceptions being black and red wires.  The Bachmann cars use a 9 volt battery for the lights and if you have several like I do, it gets expensive -especially if you forget to turn them off after operating them! The conversion is easy to do and will save you money. If you're feeling industrious, you can replace the stock light bulbs in them with LED strip lights (warm white is best!) ,but then you'll have to add bridge rectifiers and capacitors to prevent flickering and so that the lights will work in both directions. There are a couple of other threads here that deal with that. I'm still waiting for my orders of capacitors and bridge rectifiers and I'll let you know how that goes.
Hope this helps!.
Later.

punkin

Thanks for that info RkyGriz,

I've been doing some google work to find one of these cars. The cars without track lighting seem to be more common. This conversion looks fairly simple. Thanks for the tip!

the Bach-man

Dear All,
LGB made (makes) excellent 1:22.5 meter gauge equipment.
AMS makes excellent 1:20.3 passenger cars.
Aristo Craft made (makes?) excellent 1:29 scale equipment.
USA Trains makes excellent 1:29 scale equipment.
Mike's Train House makes excellent 1:32 scale equipment.
Hartland makes excellent 1:24 equipment.
We (Bachmann- in case you've forgotten whose board you're on) make excellent equipment in 1;22.5 and 1: 20.3.
All run on 45mm (G Guge) track.
For Large Scale to flourish we must all support each other!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill Canelos

Bach-Man,

Amen!  We definitely need to support the hobby as a whole!!!

I personally prefer the battery powered lights because they stay on while the train is stopped and stay constantly lit when the train is moving.  Rechargable 9 volt batteries make it easier on the wallet, but do not seem to last as long as alkaline batteries.

Have fun!

Bill

punkin