News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

steam or diesel

Started by sonnyw, May 07, 2015, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonnyw

JUST CURIOUS,HOW MANY MODELERS MODEL STEAM OR DIESEL OR BOTH? I MODEL THE 1950S MOSTLY BUT I ALSO RUN SD70S AND GEVOS. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT IS VISITORS TO THE LAYOUT WILL POINT OUT MY SCENERY,CARS,TRUCKS ETC.DONT MATCH THE ERA. TO SAVE SPACE ON MY LAYOUT THERE IS A SECTION OF HO TRACK THAT THAT RUNS PARALLEL TO MY N SCALE TRACK BOY THAT RAISES EYEBROWS FROM THE PURIST NOW I HAVE BACHMANN ON30 STEAMERS THAT I RUN WHEN NO ONE IS AROUND THO HO TRACK GOES TO AN AREA THAT ONLY HAS TREES AND MOUNTAINS AND GOES TO A PRIVATE DOGBONE AREA BUT BECAUSE OF SPACE LIMITATIONS IT TO PASSES THE N SCALE TRACK.OH WELL ,I GUESS IT COMES DOWN TO WHO WE ARE TRYING TO PLEASE OTHERS OR OURSELVES. I HOPE I DONT START THINKING ABOUT G SCALE!!!!!!!! may god bless.sw :-\

jward

i prefer diesels, especially those that were running before 1980, usually those were the smaller diesels that fit in well with a small model railroad. In real life, I am a huge fan of the modern emds especially the sd80macs and sd70aces that grind past my place pulling their guts out on a heavy grade.

that said, I do have a soft spot for smaller steamers like the 2-6-0 which are easy on the track and don't overpower my layout. it also helps when my better half loves steam.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

I model mostly small to medium steam... the last few steamers that ran into the early and mid-1950s.  There are few early diesels scattered around ready to take the steamers' places, but not quite yet. 

Regards,

Jonathan

PS. Typing in all-caps is considered 'yelling' in many forums, just sayin'.

GN.2-6-8-0

Totally a steam locomotive man here,have a particular love of monster articulateds,luckily belong to a club that has the room for wide sweeping curves to support running these brutes!!
Rocky Lives

Len

All of the above. Which is why my layout is a RR Museum. There's even a bit of overhead and 3rd rail for the electrics. Steam, diesel, electric, it's all good.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ebtnut

FWIW, the last steam loco in regular freight service was CO&E No. 17, and 2-8-0.  She was retired in September, 1986 when her dry pipe failed.  So you can mix steam with second generation diesels. 

sonnyw

well i appreciate all replys, to each his own,ka sa ra sa ra.

p.s.notice i use lower case    shhhhhhhh

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

Early diesel and steam.  Nothing newer than a GP9.  Steam can go back 30 years because steam lasts forever in the heart of man.

rogertra

I Model 1958.  If it wasn't appropriate for southern Quebec in 1958, I don't model it.  That goes not only for railroad equipment but road vehicles, street markings, even lettering fonts on buildings etc..  :) 

Cheers

Roger T.

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: sonnyw on May 07, 2015, 02:53:42 PM
well i appreciate all replys, to each his own,ka sa ra sa ra.

That would be Que Sera Sera

p.s.notice i use lower case    shhhhhhhh
Rocky Lives

sonnyw

You are correct about the song Que Sera Sera. Im sure Doris Day will forgive me for mispelling her song from the 50s. It was my first day on this forum and I was in a hurry to get my first message out there. I was in radio for 35 years and I assure you I know how to spell. Thanks for your interest. May God Bless. 

jward

Quote from: RAM on May 07, 2015, 09:56:15 PM
Early diesel and steam.  Nothing newer than a GP9.  Steam can go back 30 years because steam lasts forever in the heart of man.

yes but gp9s last forever in real life.......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GN.2-6-8-0

Welcome to the jungle......er'the board:)
Rocky Lives

Jerrys HO

Quote from: GN.2-6-8-0 on May 10, 2015, 10:29:48 AM
Welcome to the jungle......er'the board:)

Had it right the first time Axle  ;D. IT'S A JUNGLE IN HERE!

Diesel  is my preference, there's nothing wrong with steam other than they are a pain to work on.