News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrading a Bridge.

Started by jonathan, May 09, 2015, 08:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
It looks to be one of Leo Campbell's old pony bridges.  I have one, they go together well; but once together, hard to sand...
As a "answer to all" and 'all things to all people", I keep a can of "Minwax" weathered grey on hand.  As a basecoat, this stuff is great, as it penetrates, thus sealing the surface somewhat, which is great for painting.
Using this stain in conjunction with other coatings, is, to me, a good step.
Rich
SGT C.

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
I should have qualified that last post.  The weathered gray goes on as sort of a base coat; and then, I like to dry brush acrylics over it.  I get some pretty nice (to me) results. 
SGT C>

jonathan

Didn't know about the weathered gray stain.  Thanks for that.  I will have to look for some.

Did a test fit this morning to see where we're at.  The upper loop runs very small trains: nothing bigger than an 0-6-0, shorty ore cars, bobber cabeese, and the like. I put a 40' ore car up there to see if it will fit through the bridge. I do have a curve on one end.  It will clear... just barely.

Looks like it will work with some minor tweaking.  Next is solder for the track, abutments, and building up the scenery around the abutments and bridge.  Here's some illustrations:

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just a quick update:

I added a couple abutments I got for about $3 (used).  I gave 'em a quick paint job and installed.  I'm filling in the dead space with packing peanuts, then will smooth out with some spackle or joint compound.

Photos:

Still some work to do, but we're getting there.

Regards,

Jonathan

Woody Elmore

Jon - the bridge is great but looks like a tight squeeze. Be sure your engineers get slow orders!

Another well done project.

jonathan

Thanks Woody!

This small bridge leads off my mining facility, which is served by shorty ore cars and USRA 0-6-0 switchers. They will easily fit over the bridge and do run slowly.  The mining facility is old and one of the reasons I wanted to put a small wooden bridge nearby.

I considered scratching up some wooden abutments... did it with another bridge.  Couldn't bring myself to put in that much work.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

electrical whiz kid

Jonathan;
Actually, the greys will add to the looks, as the lighter the tone, usually the more detail it will present.  Oh by the way...You of all people...  didn't thread and bolt the tie rods?????  Wazzamatta witcha??

Rich C
SGT C.

jonathan

;D Actually I intentionally cut the "rods" a pinch long for the bolted on look. Of course I couldn't find anything small enough to represent a nut. THEN I also noticed once I took off the magnifiers, you couldn't see that detail.

Of course I tried. Was there any doubt?  ;D

electrical whiz kid

LOL, no; of course there wasn't; I have complete faith in you, Jonathan.
Actually, and you probably know this, but "Grandt Line", and Tichy" both make NBW castings in various sizes.  I think the smaller sizes are a tad bit...  but who am I?  I used to do the same thing as you did, but now, in that application, I just install the rods short and do use NBW castings.  They look good, unless everything is dark; then you can't really make them out; but in decent lighting, the whole thing looks really nice.  Your bridge(s) came out really nice!
Rich
SGT C).

jonathan

Bridge is done enough for some final shots.  I have a couple of holes to be plugged, where the ballast leaks out between the ties... minor stuff.

As a recap, there is EZ track on either side of the bridge.  I cut that and soldered in some regular track for the span and built up everything else around the track.

Regards,

Jonathan