News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4 question

Started by 4449daylight, November 03, 2007, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

And the new owners of the Bachmann Berkshire have had a chance to run these engines and they can pull how many cars up a 2% incline?
Pacific Northern

Atlantic Central

That is the question eveyone would like answered. I for one would hope we get a more detailed and technical response from someone. Info like what kind and weight of cars, both level and on grade results, type of trucks on those cars, etc.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I am eagerly waiting for the locomotive to test it! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

csxnsdan

After I repaired the loose motor,the Berk pulled 33 standard weighted Bowser and Proto 1000 100 ton open hoppers on a level track.I do not have any grades to test mine as my layout is level due to my yard and steel works.Dan

lanny

Hi csxnxdan,

Thanks for that report. That is helpful. 33 100 ton hoppers on level track doesn't sound too bad ... in fact, IMHO that sounds pretty good. Now some of us are eagerly awaiting a report on how they do on 2% and 3% grades!

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if there are any 'empty places' over the drivers inside the boiler where 'lead shot' weight could be added?

Someone a long time ago had a great thread on where weight is best distributed in steam locomotives for optimum pulling power. Wonder if anyone would care to give a quick overview of that subject again?

Gene ... a question for you. What is the steepest grade on your layout that the 20 car frieghts will have to deal with?

lanny

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

That is good news and sounds like pretty good pulling power. Depending on the rolling qualities of the equipment, grades can be expected to effect train lengths as follows:

1% grade = 30% reduction or about 23 cars pulled.

2% grade = 50% reduction or about 17 cars pulled

3% grade = 70% reduction or about 10 cars pulled

Now you see why the prototype kept grades below 2% as much as possible. Based on my own test results with other locos and the estimated weight of the cars, this loco performs about the same as the Bachmann Heavy Mountain - that is pretty good.

IIRC, on the Nickel Plate, their Berks would pull 50 car trains and just make the few 1.5% grades on their mainline, sometimes needing help.

In my tests of other steam locos, 50%-70% of the prototype pulling abilty is typical of the best pulling locos - so this one seems pretty good based on the info from csxnxdan.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Lanny,
The planned maximum grade is 2%.  I really need to run a full train up the grade from Sugar Grove to Michael's Farm. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Atlantic Central

Gene,

Sounds like it might work! Good free rolling cars, maybe a little extra weight if that can be done - and away you go!

Sheldon

lanny

Sheldon,

Thanks for that ... until something more definitve comes in, your breakdown of the various grades 1, 2, and 3% is very helpful. And if the 2-8-4 can pull 10 cars with wheels reamed and free rolling, perhaps a bit of judicious weight adding can up that to 12? 10 - 12 is very reasonable in my opinion.

Again, thanks for the helpful breakdown until we get some more definitive info.

I think the possibility of a Bachmann "ICRR" 2-8-4 kit-bash has just increased a bit for the 'Strawberry Creek Division of the ICRR'  :D

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

danmerkel

I had an opportunity to run my new Bachmann 2-8-4 the other day for the
first time.  While this isn't going to be an exhaustive review, I'll mention
the following in no particular order...
    o  The engine seemed hard to get on the tracks at first.  I use a Rix
Rerailer and it didn't seem to like that at all.  But once I got all wheels on the track corectly, it stayed that way for the entire time I was running it.
    o  I only ran it about fifteen minutes but it seemed to do well.
    o  The motor did seem to have a bit of a loud buzz in it.  I've heard
that this is sometimes the case when DCC equipped engines are run on DC which was the case here.
    o  Pulling power... I was running seven properly weighted (by NMRA
standards) Athearn HO passenger cars behind my Berk.  With that load, the drivers slipped some on an uphill, curved 2% grade but the train still made it to the top.
    o  The engine & tender both have yellow LEDs for headlight/back-up
lights.  This doesn't really float my boat all that much but I don't "worry"
about it since I don't do any night time running.
    o  The lettering on the tender (mine is NKP 765) seemed just a bit too
yellow to me.  Dulux gold looks a little more orange to me but then who knows?  I do know that anything in that range of shades is difficult to get correct.  Any shade of yellow is a tough color to work with.
    o  Slow speed was excellent!  While the starting voltage seemed a little
high, once the loco was in motion, it could be throttled way back down and
the engine barely crawled along.  While not a "switcher," this would be
excellent for coupling in the yard and such.
    o  Out of the box, the front coupler drooped too much and the trip pin
was catching on rails at crossovers & switches.  A quick upward bend of the trip pin fixed this.

Overall, I'm initially pleased with the engine and think it will be a great
addition to my motive power fleet.

dlm

jsmvmd

Dear Friends,

I believe Rich Cormier contributed to the adding weight discussion by stating he placed lead shot in small balloons.  I think this was for G scale. Finger "cots" would work, too. 

Rich, please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Wishes!

Jack

SteamGene

I called COHS this morning and they said my Kanawha departed Clifton Forge yesterday.  I assume I will get it today or tomorrow. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

rdg1187

Have the Pere Marquette engines arrived yet?

SteamGene

I think Mr. B said the PMs were still swimming.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

dmolavi

Quote from: rdg1187 on December 13, 2007, 10:45:00 PM
Have the Pere Marquette engines arrived yet?

according to the product locator, no. 
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?query=berkshire&submit=Search&sortOrder=id
i'm basing availability on whether a 'buy now' button is available for the item...