News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-4 question

Started by 4449daylight, November 03, 2007, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

I have yet to test how much they can pull, but just by weight i'd say 20 cars easily maybe more. I been really busy and unable to test that but i have run them and they run as good as any expensive engine i have.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

danmerkel

I'm just wondering about the "distribution channel."  I've had mine on order for quite some time now but haven't seen them yet.  Yet, other comments here suggest that some already have theirs.

Patience is a virtue... : )

dlm

lanny

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments on the Bachmann 2-8-4. I am glad for anything anyone has to offer. I can wait for the 'pulling power' test. If I like what I hear I'll get one (sorry to my very good friend 'Orsonroy' who knows that these don't really match very closely the ICRR 'super berks' :)). It will require a really major 'kit bash' to get it to even 'resemble' the early ICRR 2-8-4s that eventually were traded or rebuilt in favor of the 4-8-2s.

If the 2-8-4 Bachman is a good hauler like their Spec heavy Mountain, it would be fun to do that anyway because a brass ICRR 2-8-4 runs $1000.00 +!

Anyway, I apprciate any and all comments regarding this new Bachman locomotive!

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

danmerkel

The UPS man delivered my 2-8-4 #765 this morning!  So I'll have a chance to put it on the track tonight and fill you all in on my first impressions of how it performs.  I can say that it does look sharp but looks aren't everything.  : )

dlm

SteamGene

Extrapolating from what the COHS told me, the distributors did not get as many as they needed and some, at least, are filling in the order in which the orders arrived to them.  This sounds like the interest in VanSchwerigen(sp) 2-8-4s is rather strong. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

csxnsdan

I have now tested the pulling power.Mine pulled 10 standard weight boxcars and a caboose with no problems.However this will be an excursion loco on my layout so I will test it soon with some passenger cars.I did not like the decoder so I replaced it with a TCS T1 decoder.That helped the performance on DCC alot.I can now move at speed step 1.The Bachmann decoder is plugged into an eight pin socket so it should be no problem to plug in a Loksound or Tsunami decoder.MRC also makes a steam decoder but use at your own risk,I returned mine.Dan

Atlantic Central

Hopefully it will pull 3 or 4 times that amount.

Sheldon

csxnsdan

I was able to pull about 5 walthers full lengh passenger cars before the drivers slipped.May operate better once it is broken in.It is a nice loco.You would not regret buying it.Dan

SteamGene

Ten freight or five passenger is no better than what Proto 2000 gets.  Is this on the level or on a grade, and if so, how steep is the grade?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

csxnsdan

Thats on the level.Im gonna try again tonight.The motor bracket was loose in mine,I removed the boiler and out comes the motor in my hands,the 3 screws stuck to the motor.Evidently they were not tightend at the factory.I installed all 3 screws.We will see how she runs tonight.Will post results.Dan

japasha

Guys, I have a fifty year old Varney Berkshire that pulls a lot more than the new Bachmann. It does not have DCC nor does it have much in the way of detail. Maybe we could get Lee and the team to copy the mechanisim and keep the superb detail. The new stuff is beautiful/ We just need superpower drivetrains.

Pacific Northern

I am so ready to order one of these engines. However, I am still burning from my last acquisition which was unfortunately an early run Berkshire (Proto Heritage) great model, extreme slow speed no pulling power.

Once I have headr from a few members who have actually bought and run this unit and there is an acceptance of its puling power and slow speed control I will buy at least one if not more.

So will sit on the sidelines and wait
Pacific Northern

ebtbob

Good Morning,

With all due respect,  when you mention a Varney berk,  you speak of an engine that was all cast metal.  That alone should allow it to outpull the new berk from Bachmann.
      As to the comment about the engine being able to pull 3-4 times the stated 10 cars,   I agree somewhat.   10 cars is disappointing especially on a level track.    In my opinion,  note I say my opinion.....once an HO scale train gets above 25 cars,  it usually overwhelms most HO scale railroads.  I have a 16x26 foot railroad and can tell you that,  visually,  anything more than 20-25 cars looks odd.   Remember,  visually,  on a model railroad,  we see a much greater area than we would in real life and to see a train stretch out over multiple scenes is odd looking.   Remember,  just my opinion.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

ebtbob,

I will agree and disagree (just a bit) about train lengths. Yes on small and medium sized layouts train lenths should be kept shorter and in proportion to the layout/space. And, I agree 20-25 cars is a respectable train on many layouts.

But motive power should be selected and used accordingly as well. A Big Boy pulling 15 cars looks silly, and pulling even 25 is not much better - regardless of layout size. That train only needs a Mike.

Many people today are building larger layouts and trains in the 35-50 car length can effectively be run to capture the "feel" of big time railroading. that is a long enought train to justify all this big power we have available and capture the sense of big time railroading.

Everything we do is selectively compressed, but the operative word is selectively! Berks pulling 10 cars is silly and toy like.

Sheldon

SteamGene

I have to agree with both Bob and Sheldon.  My layout, designed by Sheldon, is geared for a 20 car train, and I'd like to run that length, especially with my larger engines.  I have two of the Proto 2000 Kanawhas.  I haven't tried them on the grades yet, but I fear dissappointment.  I know they did horribly on the CB&W layout, but there are some 4% helix humps which I don't have.  So we shall see. 
I'm also waiting to see what is needed to add a sound decoder.  More capacitor cutting?
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat