News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What metal axles for trainset wagons?

Started by austrian, May 10, 2015, 01:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrian

I want to exchange the plastic axles of my Bachmann H0 trainset wagons but the 33" flat back wheel sets (item 42904) I bought do not fit - the axles are too long. Then I tried some Kadee 520 wheel sets but these again have axles that are too long so the wheels would not turn.
Any recommandations?

Thomas

Len

You should check this place out: http://www.reboxx.com/

They offer wheelsets with different axle lengths and end types.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Bachmann sells 33" & 36" metal wheel sets. That would work for sure. If you can't find them, Intermountain wheels fit good I think.

Len

ACY - The OP said he already tried the Bachmann 42904 wheelsets, and the Kadee. The axles of both are too long for his car.

I've run into this with some European made cars, and generally found the solution at Reboxx. You just have to measure the axle length, and end type, of the original wheelsets to order a good match. It doesn't hurt to check the axle diameter either.

Len

ACY

The original poster never said he had a European product, I was under the impression he obtained a North Americn Bachmann product as they can be found occasionally in England/the United Kingdom and other parts of Europe.

Len

Quote from: ACY on May 10, 2015, 09:56:59 PM
The original poster never said he had a European product, I was under the impression he obtained a North Americn Bachmann product as they can be found occasionally in England/the United Kingdom and other parts of Europe.

I didn't say the OP had a European product, I said he already tried the Bachmann and Kadee wheels and they were too tight for whatever he has.

Then I said I had a similar problem with some European made equipment, and went to Reboxx to get the correct axle length for my car. And suggested he might want to do the same for his equipment.

Len

jward

sometimes.if the axle length is close, you can use a ttruck tuning tool to ream out the truck journals enough for the new wheelsets to fit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA