Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-6-2

Started by bruceemiller636, May 11, 2015, 12:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruceemiller636

what is the minimum radius?

ACY

For best results according to many reviews, it is suggested that you use a minimum radius of 15". I suspect it can negotiate 11.25" radius however. I don't have one myself.

Mike C

It'll run on 11.25 but bigger is better.

brokemoto

Again, see the categories of curve radii.  This thing will run on an eleven inch radius curve but it does not like it and looks rather silly.

It looks and runs best on sixteen inch, or better, curves.

gatrhumpy

Mine easily runs on 9 3/4" radius curves because of the swinging rear engine.

ACY

Quote from: gatrhumpy on May 12, 2015, 08:53:07 PM
Mine easily runs on 9 3/4" radius curves because of the swinging rear engine.
I stopped by a hobby shop today, and they had 5 2-6-6-2's in stock, 3 from the new run and 2 from the older one, and 3 of them would not successfully negotiate 9.75" radius however they all ran fine on 11.25" radius. So you can't assume they all will be able to run on 9.75" radius, while some can do it, apparently some cannot due to slight variations in the manufacturing process. 

Len

Because they often ran in the mountains, prototype 2-6-6-2's could negotiate curves down to 16 degrees of arc without overhanging so bad they sideswiped cuts, bridges, etc. That's roughly a 26" radius curve in N-scale.

Since our models have articulated rear engines, unlike the prototype, they'll do tighter curves. To look right, 19" radius would be best, bigger if you have the space.

11.25" will do for smaller spaces, but there will be noticable overhang. I'd leave 9.75" curves to logging or mining operation, where much smaller 2-6-6-2's were used.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.